By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo announce new 3rd pillar platform for 2015

It's not a new system. It's an add on to the Wii U. It's based a bit on the tech in kinnect going from what Iwata has stated. Expect a high res thermal image camera with 3d capabilities. The software is the key. This is all based on their vitality sensor R&D.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network
DarkNight_DS said:
It's not a new system. It's an add on to the Wii U. It's based a bit on the tech in kinnect going from what Iwata has stated. Expect a high res thermal image camera with 3d capabilities. The software is the key. This is all based on their vitality sensor R&D.

Okay that made more sense, I thought it was like a new console and they are planning to kill the Wii U very early.

So they released a console that competes more closely with tablets and phones and are now adding even more features that will make it compete even more closely with tablets and phones?
That doesn't seem very clever.
Streaming service sounds nice and they really need to get their shit together in all things online and present a proper account system at long last.

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:
Wasn't the DS the same strategy? A blue ocean third pillar to shore up a struggling home console?

That was the theory, but it didn't quite turn out that way.  The DS basically shortened the life of the GBA significantly,   If the new device takes off, I'm not sure they'll keep the old one up.  With the Wii U, it would be easier to pull the plug.

It's not a game console though, not as far as i can tell. It's a branch service off in a very different direction.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

what is blue ocean?

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:
Wasn't the DS the same strategy? A blue ocean third pillar to shore up a struggling home console?

That was the theory, but it didn't quite turn out that way.  The DS basically shortened the life of the GBA significantly,   If the new device takes off, I'm not sure they'll keep the old one up.  With the Wii U, it would be easier to pull the plug.

It's not a game console though, not as far as i can tell. It's a branch service off in a very different direction.

Seems to be a device that runs software.  If you consider things like Brain Age and Wii Fit to be games, then this seems like a game console.

jonathanalis said:
what is blue ocean?

Think of sharks.  You're a shark, and there is a kill in the area which means blood.  You can go after the blood (red ocean), and try to fight off every other shark for a cut of the meat.  Or, you can head out into the waters (blue ocean).  Instead of focusing on the already dead and bleeding fish, you focus on every other fish.

In video game terms the red ocean is a known market, where the blue ocean is a new market.  So, if you're a game developer you could release a product like Homefront in hopes of appealing to the existing market of shooter fans.  You know the market is there, but there is already tons of competition. This is red ocean strategy.   Alternatively, you can make a novel product and hope that you can attract a new market for it.  Minecraft is an example of Blue Ocean strategy.

Horayyy! A other stupid ass gimick comming our way in 2015! Why? Because Nintendo desperatly wants to always be ''different'' and ''innovative'' no matter how stupid the path they need to take.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

@JWeinCom, thank you.

padib said:
Metrium said:
Horayyy! A other stupid ass gimick comming our way in 2015! Why? Because Nintendo desperatly wants to always be ''different'' and ''innovative'' no matter how stupid the path they need to take.

It's not a device and it's not a console... It's a new business altogether.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=177262

It's still new hardware/service that play games that aim to improve your quality of life. This isn't anything new, as this was Nintendo's main business during the 50's and 60's. Iwata is simply going back to basics with this initiative.

The Nintendo Love Tester.

The Nintendo Ultra Hand. 

The Companion. A communication device made by Nintendo in the mid 60's.

"New Blue Ocean: Non-wearable. Reminiscent of Wii Fit, but not necessarily a game machine. The implementation involves hardware, but the aim is the blue ocean business.

1. Imagine a Wii balance board with Wii Fit, but with a chip that runs the software attached to it (like an nVIDIA Tegra K1). With this you dont have to buy a WiiU to use it. It stands on its own.

2. Imagine a Dance! Dance! Revolution game and accessories without having to buy a games console first.

3. Imagine Brain Training device/software that doesnt require you to buy a portable console first.

I stronlgy believe this is what Iwata is going for. So yes, a series of devices that play electronic games with an aim to improve QOL. 

They cannot support decently two consoles, and they expect to get a third pillar bussiness running?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile