By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Investors Meeting - 8:00 PM EST (15 mins left)

Hmm, could have been worse. Could have been a lot better as well, though.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
drake4 said:
Wiiu way over tracked on vgchartz, unless its sold out world wide.

How so? Vgchartz has it at 5.48m at the end of 2013. Thats means there were almost 400k on shelves at the time, is that low?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

So Nintendo basically came out and told everyone that they were doing horribly to lower expectations and get the stock hit out of the way, so that when the news came out that their software sold enough to make a profit, people would be all over Nintendo again. Brilliant. Seriously, Nintendo just told the world "Wii U sold like garbage and we are still running at an operating loss or small profit, just wait and see what happens when our AAA titles come out."

Nintendo and Sony are in almost identical positions right now. Both are running on an operating loss. Both have some products selling well (3DS,PS4/PS3,Nintendo's 1st party software), both have products that are not catching on (Wii U,Vita). It's actually crazy because todays console numbers for PS4 + Vita were almost identical to 3DS + Wii U. (198.8 k Nintendo,198.3 k Sony). I will be very interested to see what Sony's strategy with the Vita is moving forward. It needs GTA. They already lost the main Monster Hunter's to 3DS, they desperately need GTA. The 2 on PSP combined moved millions of consoles. If they can get GTA then it will start outselling the 3DS, at least for a while. As for Wii U, we know a bunch of AAA titles are coming like DK,Smash, and Kart, but it needs a bombshell. Zelda as open world as Skyrim with realistic graphics? Pokemon RPG? New Miyamoto IP? Metroid with a strong focus on multiplayer?. It needs that one game to make people say "I NEED THAT, AND I NEED IT NOW!!!!!!". Thats what alot of gamers said when they saw "X", they need to get that out already as well, just as much as Mario Kart.

zorg1000 said:
Lawlight said:
Only 12.89M 3DS sold in 2013. Looks like it's overtracked on vgchartz.

Pokemon X/Y at 11.6m, looks like ur gonna lose ur bet about it not passing 12m

Hold on one second - I would lose if it's more than 12M but that doesn't mean you win. We had a range - I think yours was 18M - I can't remember exactly.

So it is not as bad then some predicted

Around the Network

Great work, VGC. It seems both Wii U and 3DS sales figures are spot on.

zorg1000 said:
drake4 said:
Wiiu way over tracked on vgchartz, unless its sold out world wide.

How so? Vgchartz has it at 5.48m at the end of 2013. Thats means there were almost 400k on shelves at the time, is that low?

I don't think it is overtracked by any means.  They have sold 1.5 million consoles since SM3DW came out.    I think they just stopped producing so many right now.  Look at how many Xbox Ones are out there right now.  Microsoft made a ton, and now they have to wait until the retailers sell them all, or else the retailers will not order more, and then start getting worried.  This happened with Wii U in 2013.  Nintendo overproduced, and companies in Europe freaked out and started selling them for cheap.  

superhippy420 said:
So Nintendo basically came out and told everyone that they were doing horribly to lower expectations and get the stock hit out of the way, so that when the news came out that their software sold enough to make a profit, people would be all over Nintendo again. Brilliant. Seriously, Nintendo just told the world "Wii U sold like garbage and we are still running at an operating loss or small profit, just wait and see what happens when our AAA titles come out."

No. They made a small proft this quarter, down y-o-y. They said they are going to make a huge loss this financial year, not Q3. The share buyback is costly business, they are doing it to calm down the big institutional investors.

Quarter is not the same as full financial year.

Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:
Lawlight said:
Only 12.89M 3DS sold in 2013. Looks like it's overtracked on vgchartz.

Pokemon X/Y at 11.6m, looks like ur gonna lose ur bet about it not passing 12m

Hold on one second - I would lose if it's more than 12M but that doesn't mean you win. We had a range - I think yours was 18M - I can't remember exactly.

Im not the one that made a bet with u, I just remember u saying it wont sell over 12m

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think that's realistic at least considering my country when i go to mediamarkt or other big eletronic retailers and see an avarage of 3 to 5 Wii U's, 3 to none Xbox 360s and 15 to 20 PS3's and 10 to 15 PS4's on shelves, I think that it isn't to overtracked here on VGC