By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Investors Meeting - 8:00 PM EST (15 mins left)

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I remember seeing another Nintendo Earnings report thread on this site like a week ago showing a loss...maybe I'm going crazy.

It would have been Nintendo's revised yearly projections thread, in which Nintendo revised their projections down for Wii U and 3DS and lowered their yearly results prediction from 55 billion yen to a -25 billion loss. 

The results in this thread are for the quarter, in which consoles sell 2-3x more than the rest of the year combined, meaning it was expected Nintendo would make a quarterly profit, but due to the previous quarterly losses (and the upcoming on) it will be a yearly loss.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
When is the investor meeting?

Tomorrow (Wednesday) 9 EST I believe.

superhippy420 said:
Somini said:
Why are they buying stock back? Simply recalling it is not an option? Also does mean we have the WiiU overtracked? As stock must be very high for them to decide something like this!

Companies generally buy back shares of stock when they want to increase the price of the stock, due to their being less supply.  It's a legal way to try and manipulate the market, so that when the shares go up they can resell them for a higher price.   It's legal in the U.S. because they are still assuming the chance to have it go down by even more.    It also is done to increase stockholder confidence.  If Nintendo is confident enough to buy its own stock, then more people will want it because they think Nintendo knows something that we don't know about the future.   

Oh i see. Such an interesting strategy. I wonder if it's illegal in the EU though. EU doesn't like market manipulation that much..

Interesting, about the same amount of operating profit, yet far lower net income than last year.

Anyway, profit was expected. If you can't make money during the Holidays, you just flat-out cannot make money.

Huge numbers for Pokemon. I heard around here that it's in decline though, people better stop buying it pronto.

sonicfan1373 said:

Nintendo stated on January 17 that they would be making a net loss by the end of the fiscal year (March); I can see them making a operating loss based on Q3 results but I do not understand how they would make net loss.

Expected slow sales in Q4, plus they might have been in the black, but they owe back taxes they didn't pay in prior years.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

Only 12.89M 3DS sold in 2013. Looks like it's overtracked on vgchartz.

Wiiu way over tracked on vgchartz, unless its sold out world wide.

Negatives to take from the report:

- Inventories at record high : Approx. 1.8 Billion US

- R&D + Marketing expenses increased despite lower results from previous year

- Wii U commercial failure

- Nintendo did not release results for Super Mario 3D World sales (very indicating)

- 3DS shipments declined compared to last-year regardless of 2DS release

Positives:

- Nintendo digital revenues increased from 110 million to 180 million (increase of 64%)

- Pokemon X&Y very successful at over 11 million

- Share repurchase program

- Somehow (don't know how) Nintendo increased their balance sheet

czecherychestnut said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I remember seeing another Nintendo Earnings report thread on this site like a week ago showing a loss...maybe I'm going crazy.

It would have been Nintendo's revised yearly projections thread, in which Nintendo revised their projections down for Wii U and 3DS and lowered their yearly results prediction from 55 billion yen to a -25 billion loss. 

The results in this thread are for the quarter, in which consoles sell 2-3x more than the rest of the year combined, meaning it was expected Nintendo would make a quarterly profit, but due to the previous quarterly losses (and the upcoming on) it will be a yearly loss.

But it appears that the results are compounded (April-December 2013) so it takes the loss of previous quarters into account. Furthermore, based on previous years results Q4 does not have a massive impact on their profits unless they are doing heavy R&D or paying large end of year taxes; so this does make me wonder about their end-of-year projection made on January 17.

Lawlight said:
Only 12.89M 3DS sold in 2013. Looks like it's overtracked on vgchartz.

Pokemon X/Y at 11.6m, looks like ur gonna lose ur bet about it not passing 12m

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.