By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did MS just win the North American console market?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Figgycal said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Figgycal said:

Consider the fact that 99% of the people buying consoles have no idea that multiplatform Gears was even possible. Most people assumed it would always be an Xbox exlcusive... nothing has changed.

Halo and Titanfall might tip the scale though.

Dude...The Xbox has gone back to competitive heaven status. They've got Killer Instinct, Gears, the first game of Titanfall exclusive and they've got Halo coming ontop of another shooter from Black Tusk. Thats pretty much it. MS is MLG certified in America for this gen. It is definitely going to be the most competitive gaming console. Add the fact that they've got exclusive content in Madden and you've got yourself a winner in America.

It's really not that straight forward... A lot of shit can happen between now and E3...

A ton of PS4 exclusives are still unnanounced... For example, you mention killer Instinct - a fighting game. But fighting game fans as well as competitive fighting game players know that Guilty Gear XRD- a much bigger franchise than KI is exclusive to PS4.

We don't even know how much KI sold, but the top players right now on the Street Fighter scene seem to be behind killer Instinct and hyping it up to heaven.

We don't really have a lot of options to choose from at the moment in terms of fighting games...

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
I'll give you Japan will probably go with the PS4, but why not Europe too? Course, they would have to actually release there, outside of the few current countries.

Anything's possible but this is just not likely. MS threw everything but the kitchen sink at Europe this past gen and Sony still came out on top. If your cheaper, have an 18 month release date advantage, spend millions of dollars in marketing and still lose in the region (By millions) there's a problem there. Now with most of the PS3's short comings being fixed, chances in Europe for X1 are slim. (Outside of the UK)

Zappykins said:
I'll give you Japan will probably go with the PS4, but why not Europe too? Course, they would have to actually release there, outside of the few current countries.

?? Europe will be an even bigger landslide for sony this gen......

FlamingWeazel said:
Zappykins said:

?? Europe will be an even bigger landslide for sony this gen......

I always find funny the hope of american Xbox supporters that the Xbox1 has any sort of chance in Europe.

No guys, every european will be able to tell you that. The countries that Micorsoft didnt release on are contries already majorly owned by the Playstation. They are small and minimal markets for Xbox, wich is why they didnt even bother launching there.

Better get used to the idea that the X1 will be pulling numbers similar to the Wii U in europe. There is no contest here.

I'm sorry but MS cancelling a new IP from black tusk and forcing them to work on someones else established franchise is not a good thing. Cannot see all the guys at BT being happy about that.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:

With the MS announcement today of buying the Gears of War IP from Epic, did they just seal with deal in NA this gen? 

With a line up of Titanfall, Halo, Fable set to return and now a new Gears, I don’t think Sony can compete with this line up in North America. Sure, Sony will take Europe and Japan but NA is the largest market and they need to keep up in market share.

Thoughts?

Americans surely love their guns but I think it's too early to say. PS4 has a lot going for it and both consoles are going to be attractive in NA:

$100 cheaper vs. Halo

Uncharted vs. Gears of War

Santa Monica's WRPG vs. Fable

Guerrilla Games' new IP + The Order: 1886 vs. Titanfall 1

Titanfall sequels vs. Titanfall sequels

I honestly think that releasing in 10+ more countries means that PS4 isn't able to meet demand in the US. It could sell more if more units were available. The early adopters are the fans who buy a specific console regardless of specs and price of the competition but there are just so many Halo/Gears fans. In any case the current and growing PS4 (52%) market share in the US is a huge improvement from PS3 (38%).

Here in the UK a lot of people returned to PS(4) after visiting Xbox(360) this past gen and as long as my friends own the same next gen consoles as me (which only count PS4 at the moment) I couldn't care less about market share in the US. x}

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Figgycal said:

Consider the fact that 99% of the people buying consoles have no idea that multiplatform Gears was even possible. Most people assumed it would always be an Xbox exlcusive... nothing has changed.

Halo and Titanfall might tip the scale though.

Dude...The Xbox has gone back to competitive heaven status. They've got Killer Instinct, Gears, the first game of Titanfall exclusive and they've got Halo coming ontop of another shooter from Black Tusk. Thats pretty much it. MS is MLG certified in America for this gen. It is definitely going to be the most competitive gaming console. Add the fact that they've got exclusive content in Madden and you've got yourself a winner in America.

killer instint came and went will as little fanfare as killzone.

for every titanfall there is an infamous

for every halo there is an uncharted

for every gears there is a god of war

for every fable there is an order 1886

for every forza there is a drive club

for every project spark there is a little big planet

for every quantum break there is a *quantic dreams 3rd game*

for every below there is a 100 indie titles coming to ps first

MS ain't got shit to dominate sony.   face it,. MS had to open all these studios this gen and grab all these 3rd party exclusives just to try and create parity with sony's epic amount of diverse content.   both are getting good content so other factors, like price, are going to be the tie breaker for most people.

Why do people want to announce winners so early on? What's the rush, really? There are still many factors that can alter the result and send any prediction to the bucket.

Regarding this thread, I reply no. It has certainly not happened yet (lol) and "victory" will certainly not come because of a single game franchise.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

I'm sure Nintendo still has it. With Wii Fit U, NSMBU, Wii Party U and Wii Sports Club it is destroying competition.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

People just don't understand NA and I think you're one of them. Gears really a franchise that non-gamers really don't care about. As far as its concerned, I think Gears is a dying franchise anyway. Most of the people who own XBOX's in NA at this point are prepubescent tweenage boys, aka only games they play are shooting and sports games and for the most part Gears is not one of them. So to clarify what I'm saying, no. I don't think that this deal really will even have ANY effect on the sales of the XB1 in NA.