By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 is region-free, but there's a hi-def catch

Why do you all keep bringing up pal tv's? The problem is for US and Japan owners of SDtv's. We can't buy/use PAL games, unless we buy a HDtv. Granted I don't know why I would want to buy a PAL game. The only region where I might consider buying a game from is Japan. Also, if I had a ps3 I would buy an HDtv. But, I still think this should have been handled inside the NTSC PS3's to be fully region free.

Around the Network

Superchunk: The real problem is for them, who import NTSC PS3 and have PAL TV:s. Not for them who wants to import PAL games to NTSC region.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Umm no. Other way around.

From the article. "Jem Alexander, a new writer for Joystiq sister PS3 Fanboy and the owner of a US PS3 living in Europe, recently picked up a European copy of F.E.A.R. only to get a discouraging message: "This game not supported (80028F10).""

It only affects the NTSC PS3 not the PAL PS3. Unless a lot of Europeans bought NTSC PS3's from NA or Japan, I think it would more affect NA or Japan. 

superchunk said:

Umm no. Other way around.

From the article. "Jem Alexander, a new writer for Joystiq sister PS3 Fanboy and the owner of a US PS3 living in Europe, recently picked up a European copy of F.E.A.R. only to get a discouraging message: "This game not supported (80028F10).""

It only affects the NTSC PS3 not the PAL PS3. Unless a lot of Europeans bought NTSC PS3's from NA or Japan, I think it would more affect NA or Japan. 

What? This is the exact situation i described. Imported NTSC PS3 to PAL region, in which all the games are PAL games. You know why the problem is bigger with imported PS3 to Europe? PS3 is so much cheaper in the NTSC region, that importing it might be a real situation. Games at PAL region cost so much more, that it would be madness to import them to NTSC region, which have cheaper games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Eh, your probably right. Plus PAL regions did have to wait 4 months just to get a PS3.