By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 is region-free, but there's a hi-def catch

Kwaad has no clue what he's talking about... European EDTV is 576p at 50fps. You cant pick up a 480p EDTV in europe unless it's from an importer. Also 480p isnt "hd" standard, and at this point buying an EDTV is stupid since that technologies time is, more or less, over. Then again he's running "full HD', and on a $2000 tv to boot, so I'm sure that makes him more knowledgeble/better than I or anyone else.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
sieanr said:
Kwaad has no clue what he's talking about... European EDTV is 576p at 50fps. You cant pick up a 480p EDTV in europe unless it's from an importer. Also 480p isnt "hd" standard, and at this point buying an EDTV is stupid since that technologies time is, more or less, over. Then again he's running "full HD', and on a $2000 tv to boot, so I'm sure that makes him more knowledgeble/better than I or anyone else.

uhhh... notice my edit? Ok, thanks for reading.

480p is one of the HD format resolutions.

480p 720p 1080i 1080p

That is HD.

1080p is FULL HD. 480p... is HD format, but not HD.

sieanr, your 576p *IS* 480p just so you know. Look that up, since you wanna say I'm so damn wrong.

Look for a F*king 480p TV. (any LCD tv will work)

Plug your PS3 up to it, and it will now run at 480p. At 480p all games should work. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:

480p is one of the HD format resolutions.

480p 720p 1080i 1080p

That is HD.

1080p is FULL HD. 480p... is HD format, but not HD.

Eh, saying 480p is HD format is misleading as it implies HD, but its not. Oh, and how much did it cost for you to get Full HD to go with your $200 keyboard again? 

Kwaad said sieanr, your 576p *IS* 480p just so you know. Look that up, since you wanna say I'm so damn wrong.

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/lcdtv/la27s71b.asp?page=Specifications

Look at what it says for HD input.. eh, I'll post it since you probably wont read it. 

"1080i/720p/576p"

See the 576p? But I guess thats the same thing as 480p, despite having 96 more lines of verticle resolution. And I guess those European TV stations broadcast in 576p must really be 480p in disguise. Its the same thing, right?

Better yet, look at the supported video modes for PAL on the official PS3 online manuel. Aw heck, I'll just post an image since lord knows you wont actually read it, despite the fact that free time is something you dont lack.

Why doesnt the Euro PS3 support 480p if its the same thing as 576p? Weird... and euro PS3 don't even support 480p (fun fact, the wii can do both 480p and 576p)

Kwaad said Look for a F*king 480p TV. (any LCD tv will work)

Plug your PS3 up to it, and it will now run at 480p. At 480p all games should work.

Have fun finding those in europe, oh wait, 480p is the same as 576p.... 

Some european sets support NTSC standards along with 480p, but not most. There are plenty of EDTV's that are 576p and NOT 480p, which are two different things entirely. 

Kwaad said  Ok, thanks for reading.

And thanks for reading my post where I explained how Europe has a different standard of "non FULL-HD" formats, than again your FULL HD 1080P $2000 SET must magically instill this "unfit for mortal" technical knowledge onto you, and only you.

EDIT: Who here thinks Kwaad won't respond to this?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Kwaad said:

where do they advertise 100% compatability with all hardware? Can you show me that?

Your Region Free PS3 dont work on your TV... that is NOT a region problem. That is a compatability problem. It IS working.

An american PS3 has to defult output to NTSC, because if it dont, well... it wont work on most american SDTVs.

A European PS3 has to defult output to PAL... becasue if it dont... it wont work on all SDTVs in europe.

So a new NTSC PS3 wont work on a PAL TV. If I'm not mistaken I can tweak the option in the options... but you have to SEE the image... to CHANGE the option.

Does a PAL game work on a NTSC console?

Last time I checked 'region encoding' only means, that a *american game* wont work on a *european console*

region free, does NOT mean you can buy a american NTSC console, and it work properly with your PAL TV?

If it does, would you please be willing to find where that was ever said?

EDIT: oh, I see what your saying about that now, however get a EDTV... (any LCD TV) and it will work, run it at 480p) 

Nice job trying to do a stealth edit. Adding in mentions of PAL and NTSC to make it seem like you know what you're talking about is a clever addition.

However, and I think most people will agree with me, doing this sort of thing is decitful - if not outright lying 

EDIT; bolded the additons, italicised the heavily altered parts. However, I'm doing this by memory, but regardless this is a very underhanded tactic by Kwaad to make it seem like he is in the right.

sieanr said:

EDIT: Who here thinks Kwaad won't respond to this?

If you notice any thread where he's on the receiving end of the stick he doesn't reply. Of course, this time he might reply just to prove you wrong.

And regarding PAL/NTSC, I live in a country where both standards are widely accepted; hence, TVs sold here support both formats.

However, I have noticed this:

My NTSC Wii is modded with Wiikey, and I loaded Tiger Woods PAL. I can play it alright, but the screen overshoots my HDTV. No amount of fiddling with the controls will resolve the issue - I can change the TV settings to display 1:1 pixel (which results in a tiny screen) but parts of the bottom menu are always cut off.

Tiger Woods PAL does not support NTSC (which EA has stated). So yes, I would assume that a modded PAL Wii will show the entire screen of an NTSC game, and a modded NTSC Wii will show a PAL game, but unless the game itself supports both versions you will not be able to see the entire screen.

Around the Network

yet another thread with people crying foul over something that is actually overall a good thing. The PS3 is the only system that is region free. It is a pretty handy and innovative feature. Yes there is a caveat, but at least there is some region-free functionality rather than none at all. Overall, this is a benefit. Way to make much adieu about nothing. It goes to show that people will take any little thing wrong with the PS3 and blow it up into some grand conspiracy about Sony ripping the world off and stealing from 3rd world countries. At worst this news of lack of SDTV compatibility for out of region games should elicit a "bummer" reaction. At least people with HDTVs will get to take advantage of the feature.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
yet another thread with people crying foul over something that is actually overall a good thing. The PS3 is the only system that is region free. It is a pretty handy and innovative feature. Yes there is a caveat, but at least there is some region-free functionality rather than none at all. Overall, this is a benefit. Way to make much adieu about nothing. It goes to show that people will take any little thing wrong with the PS3 and blow it up into some grand conspiracy about Sony ripping the world off and stealing from 3rd world countries. At worst this news of lack of SDTV compatibility for out of region games should elicit a "bummer" reaction. At least people with HDTVs will get to take advantage of the feature.

I don't see anyone crying foul over it. There was a bit of a bummer, a couple of people saying "It's not Sony's fault" and a couple of people saying "It is Sony's fault"

I do, however, agree with you on the other points. It's a bit of a bummer in general but in reality Sony has done a good job in making their console region free. If they had have put a little bit more effort in and made it truly region free instead of only region free for HDTV's, then it would have been better. But it's a step in the right direction.

Hopefully next generation we'll see more of this. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Punisher: The problem isn't resolution itself, it's the colors. PAL60 means basically NTSC with different color settings (which are shitty in NTSC). Cobretti: Most of the relatively new CRT TV:s don't support 100Hz, but most do support PAL60 (as far as i know, PAL60 should work on all widescreens). And again, problem isn't your TV, it's just that NTSC PS3 doesn't emulate PAL source to any output format it supports. Sieanr: EDTV is 480p, it has nothing to do with regions. HD standards (which ED also is) does not relate to region. Basically progressive scan from PAL source is 576 horizontal lines, but as far as i know, it's downscaled to 480. Kwaad: Yes. You got it right, NTSC PS3 doesn't work with PAL TV, but the point is that PAL games don't work with NTSC PS3 (when outputting it in HD, you should consider game to be HD game, no matter what region that game is). Well, i have to say that you got your TV really cheap. 200 EUR less than the Philips:s cheap 37" (or was it 32") Full HD model. I believe that full HD TV:s are something above 3000 EUR at the moment at cheapest (not including Philips:s chep models), or at least 2500 EUR. 20" LCD monitors (with VGA/DVI/ possibly even SCART) are usually around 300-400 EUR, and LCD TV:s that size practically doesn't exist. 480p TV:s are practically non-existent, one reason for low HD-penetration in Europe, unlike US and Japan, in which 480p is pretty common and is count in HD numbers. In Europe (or mostly EU), 720p (or 768 resolution) TV:s are HDTV:s which started to sell. So it's more propable that you can find 720p TV (which isn't count as HD ready) cheaper than 480p. And these non-HD-compatible-TV:s are around 600 EUR.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd your joking that most new PAL tvs dont do 100Hz? Here in Aus i dont know if its just that we got lucky but 3 of our TVS do 100Hz.

Cobretti: Well atleast here the 100Hz models are pretty rare, well CRT is starting to be pretty rare anyway. You can argue about the benefits of 100Hz, but anyway PAL60 (which was the subject) is supported by every widescreen i know. Btw. I have to check what i said about 576p, since my opinion was based mainly to that (most?) progressive scan PAL DVD players (can) downscale 576p to 480p.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.