By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 is region-free, but there's a hi-def catch

@ http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/07/ps3-is-region-free-but-theres-a-hi-def-catch/

In the world of PAL and NTSC, PS3 games will work region free only if you have a high definition TV. Otherwise you will get this error "This game not supported (80028F10)" on your console.

So, it is region free, sort of. 

Around the Network

he should of had an american tv as well, you dont need an hdtv just a cheap american regular tv which is cheap anywhere ebay amazon i think etc. its region free its just that his pal tv cant show ntsc signal.

shouldn't have anything to do with the PC, any tv built in the last 15 years can handle both NTSC and PAL. The most likely culprit is the console itself, not able to output an NTSC signal which the game requires

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

lol any multi region tv can do it. Most TVs these days play pal and ntsc (well in australia anyway). If a ntsc game won't work on one of these TVs then its SONY's cheap way of trying to make people buy HD tvs.

Just as i remembered that there were some compatibility issues between diffent regions. Ok. Most of you above have understood this issue completely wrong. Problem doesn't fix by changing SD TV no matter how cheap and American it was. For example Brazil is PAL region, so there are at least 2 diffent standards in America. Now for example voltage used in US is 110V and most of Europe uses 240V, so theres issues about electricity if you import TV from USA to EU or other parts of Europe. The problem is that NTSC (480i/60) PS3 can't output PAL (576i/50), which the PAL games require for SD resolution.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

thats true bdbdbd, But most PAL TV now should be able to accept a NTSC signal and just fill the rest with black lines top and bottom. However I guess there still bealot of peopel who dont own a relatively modern PAL TV which this issue would arise for.

Cobretti said:
thats true bdbdbd, But most PAL TV now should be able to accept a NTSC signal and just fill the rest with black lines top and bottom. However I guess there still bealot of peopel who dont own a relatively modern PAL TV which this issue would arise for.

Just as i said, it's not about the TV, it's about the PS3. It wouldn't play the PAL games even in a NTSC TV. And this means that NTSC PS3 doesn't support PAL sources-> can't output PAL signal. You see, games work at HD, when the source is HD instead of PAL.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

For those of you who dont know.

Go to the local super-store. find a LCD EDTV for roughly 150$. Buy it. Problem solved. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad: or max 20" SDTV (depending in which part of Europe we are going to buy it) with that price. :D

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
Kwaad: or max 20" SDTV (depending in which part of Europe we are going to buy it) with that price. :D

It more or less has to be an EDTV, becuase it runs at 480p, wich is a HD format. I think you can get them for around that price Idunno. I dont waste my time on EDTV. I got 1080p. FullHD.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!