By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Will Be The Biggest Flops of 2014?

Which one will sell the worst

The Divsion 52 6.45%

Watch Dogs 46 5.71%

Titanfall 154 19.11%

Infamous: Second Son 53 6.58%

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 25 3.10%

X 40 4.96%

Bayonetta 2 244 30.27%

Hyrule Warriors 104 12.90%

The Witcher 3 29 3.60%

Other (Post it) 56 6.95%

Total:803
Faust said:
every 3rd party game on wii u, Bayonetta 2 being the biggest flop U_U

Bayonetta 2 will NOT flop harder than third-party games. Many NIntendo fans will buy it simply becuase it's an exclusive.

Around the Network
Scizor_99 said:
Faust said:

well, jrpgs in general dont sell that well. Besides the user base on the wii u makes the odds even worst.

NIntendo fans have been talking about this game a lot. The emphasis on open-world automatically makes it more interesting for a Western audience than typical JRPGs, and some of the jRPG base is only on Wii U in Japan due to Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter.

Look at Xenoblade Chronicles. It sold 850k. Consider that it's sales might have been hampered by the significant delays in localization and the fact that it was late in the generation when many hardcore gamers (including many JRPG fans) had already abandoned the Wii. 

Bayonetta 2 will NOT flop harder than third-party games. Many NIntendo fans will buy it simply becuase it's an exclusive.

i cant see this game doing it better that xenoblade. Besides, is just a lucky guess, not saying it will happen for sure.

Bayonetta 2 might be an exclusive game it has a lot of thing to overcome:

-H & S genre is not that popular, the most succesful game of this genre is god of war 3 with 4m copies (it was bundled as hell).

-its a sequel for a game that came on other consoles. To make it even worst, the ps3's version achieved 1m which is very good indeed, but we are talking about a system with 70m+  user base at that time.

-i know some people wii buy it to support the wii u, but i can assure they are the minority.

I wish for a bundled pro controller deal with this game, that would be great and hopefully rise the sells.

Scizor_99 said:
Faust said:

1 The Wonderful 101 WiiU 2013 Action Nintendo 0.07 0.04 0.03 0.01 0.14

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Faust said:
MDMAlliance said:

Why people are saying "X" I don't know. Simply saying about its genre and the Wii U's userbase doesn't really explain it because for X to be a "flop" it would have to sell very little. A title like X, I presume, would have expectations to sell around 1m. A flop isn't just a failure, but a big one. Less than 500k is most likely going to be the "flop" area for the game, and there really isn't much to say that X is going to be a flop.

To be honest thats my guess. Xenoblade sold 850k without having real competition, and a lot hype behind it

Not sure what you mean by "competition" but 850k and 500k are pretty far apart, and Xenoblade is in high demand in the United States.  So much so that it was hard to find a used copy less than $80 (even though all the Wii games were $40 or less at this point new).  Given that the Wii U will have a stronger online focus, X is definitely going to be available for download, therefore not having nearly as much of a demand issue when it does come out.  Now, here's the thing about saying you think X will flop:  We pretty much only have a handful of several second pre-development clips of the game and not even a title either.  Regardless of that, we actually do have a pretty large amount of people hyped for the game regardless of this.  While I'm not saying it's impossible for it to flop, the odds are against you with as little to go on as you do.

zarx said:
Scizor_99 said:
Faust said:

The Wonderful 101 was an incredibly weird game, received average reviews, and wasn't actually hyped that much. People know the Bayonetta franchise, and it created a lot of buzz over the fact that it's exclusive to the Wii U. And if you look at the sales of Wii U games, the only third-party muliplat  that outsold the W101 beyond the launch period (which always has inflated game sales with people buying games they wouldn't usually) was Rayman Legends, which was supposed to be an exclusive anyway. I personally hope the third-party situation improves, but assuming things continue the way they have, Bayonetta should easily sell more than third-party games.

Around the Network
Scizor_99 said:
zarx said:
Scizor_99 said:
Faust said:

The Wonderful 101 was an incredibly weird game, received average reviews, and wasn't actually hyped that much.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/the-wonderful-101

I disagree.

Evolve, it can be 2014's FUSE

Scizor_99 said:

The Wonderful 101 was an incredibly weird game, received average reviews, and wasn't actually hyped that much. People know the Bayonetta franchise, and it created a lot of buzz over the fact that it's exclusive to the Wii U. And if you look at the sales of Wii U games, the only third-party muliplat  that outsold the W101 beyond the launch period (which always has inflated game sales with people buying games they wouldn't usually) was Rayman Legends, which was supposed to be an exclusive anyway. I personally hope the third-party situation improves, but assuming things continue the way they have, Bayonetta should easily sell more than third-party games.

Saying it sold better than the 3rd party ports that bombed on the Wii U isn't exactly saying much.... But lets have another example

23 Sonic Lost World WiiU 2013 Platform Nintendo 0.12 0.04 0.00 0.01 0.18

Another exclusive game that no one brought, from the Sonic franchise which is manages to sell utter trash games like this

35 Sonic the Hedgehog PS3 2006 Platform Sega 0.39 0.03 0.04 0.63 1.09
39 Sonic the Hedgehog X360 2006 Platform Sega 0.41 0.47 0.00 0.11 0.98

For some reason the Europe sales for PS3 are seperate

59 Sonic the Hedgehog PS3 N/A Platform N/A 0.00 0.48 0.00 0.00 0.48

or this travisty

1 Shadow The Hedgehog GC 2005 Platform Sega 0.76 0.20 0.00 0.03 0.99
2 Shadow The Hedgehog PS2 2005 Platform Sega 0.50 0.02 0.00 0.08 0.60
3 Shadow The Hedgehog XB 2005 Platform Sega 0.13 0.04 0.00 0.01 0.18

Face it Byonetta is gonna bomb hard

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

MDMAlliance said:
Scizor_99 said:
zarx said:
Scizor_99 said:
Faust said:

The Wonderful 101 was an incredibly weird game, received average reviews, and wasn't actually hyped that much.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/the-wonderful-101

I disagree.

70-79 = Good/Average.

A lot of people thought it looked cool but others didn't know what to make of it. It's basically a Japanese-style superhero game with character models that look like action figures. I remember when is was revealed as Project P-100 at E3 2012 and people weren'really that interested. Even though it had been a year, people were still talking FAR more about the Zelda Tech Demo.

zarx said:
Scizor_99 said:

Saying it sold better than the 3rd party ports that bombed on the Wii U isn't exactly saying much.... But lets have another example

23 Sonic Lost World WiiU 2013 Platform Nintendo 0.12 0.04 0.00 0.01 0.18

Another exclusive game that no one brought, from the Sonic franchise which is manages to sell utter trash games like this

35 Sonic the Hedgehog PS3 2006 Platform Sega 0.39 0.03 0.04 0.63 1.09
39 Sonic the Hedgehog X360 2006 Platform Sega 0.41 0.47 0.00 0.11 0.98

For some reason the Europe sales for PS3 are seperate

59 Sonic the Hedgehog PS3 N/A Platform N/A 0.00 0.48 0.00 0.00 0.48

or this travisty

1 Shadow The Hedgehog GC 2005 Platform Sega 0.76 0.20 0.00 0.03 0.99
2 Shadow The Hedgehog PS2 2005 Platform Sega 0.50 0.02 0.00 0.08 0.60
3 Shadow The Hedgehog XB 2005 Platform Sega 0.13 0.04 0.00 0.01 0.18

Face it Byonetta is gonna bomb hard

That's not a good example. Hardcore gamers have lost faith in the Sonic franchise and a large proportion of Wii U owners at this point are hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers are also more likely to hear about review scores, and when Lost World was derided by critics, most people probably gave up on it. I know I did. By comparison, I'm quite confident that Bayonetta will get good review scores. It helped push the attach rate of Super Mario 3D World as high as it is.