By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) Thread- New footage from Nintendo Direct, Western Release Confirmed Early 2015

Tagged games:

DarkNight_DS said:
How about a Wii U port???

Arguably it would be in Capcom's best interests. These kinds of games would sell better on a home console and there's already a built-in fanbase for the game on Wii U, while 3DS picks up on the people still unwilling to buy a U.

2015, eh? It's going to be a very quiet year for my 3DS then <_>

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
osed125 said:

That didn't stop millions of Japanese players from buying 4 Monster Hunter Freedom games on PSP (the lowest selling 1 million units and Monster Freedom Unite being the highest selling game in the franchise).

While true, that's actually kind of reinforcing his point.  3 of the Monster Hunter Freedom games on PSP were remakes of PS2 titles (i.e. a different platform) and then 1 was a brand new title.

I don't think we've ever really seen this before where Capcom are releasing an expanded version to the same userbase.  I'm sure it'll sell absolutely fine, just thought I'd point that out.

Wasn't only Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2 "remakes"? Freedom 3 and Unite are the only "brand new" tittles as far as I know.

In any case, all the Freedom games are very similar, all go in line of what Capcom considers expansions (4 or 5 big Monsters, 1 or 2 new areas, sometimes 1 new weapon, etc). 

For example: (btw this are from the top of my head, I could be wrong.)

• Without counting the multiple color variations for Rathalos and Rathian, Freedom 2 only has 3 new big monsters compare to Freedom 1, and only 1 more weapon.
  • Freedom 2 to 3 was a big change though, adding 15 new Monster or something like that, various weapons and new areas. This is really a new tittle in the franchise
  • Freedom 3 to Unite only added 5 new Monsters, no new weapons were added.

So yeah, Capcom basically sold to the same userbase at least 2 times (From Freedom 1 to 2 and Freedom 3 to Unite), and all 4 games sold really well (with 3 and Unite being the 2 biggest games in the franchise).

I also don't think comparing consoles with handhelds is a good idea here, because as I mentioned earlier, MH has never been popular on consoles, with only Tri for the Wii selling more than 1 million units in Japan (and barely making it). 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Monster Hunter every year and a half? Still not as bad as Call of Duty!

Aerys said:
EricFabian said:

God eater 2 sold 400k in only 2 month  on Vita only in Japan, not being handheld exclusive. It's obviously an excellent score and there is no doubt MH would do much better,  and far much better if it was handheld exclusive.

and MH3U sold only 500k in the world in 1 year. So it's not really good enough for capcom i think...

So yes pezus is right

Yeahhhh.... The thing is though 3ds had it already and WiiU version came out later. Also this is handheld land. Dont get me wrong 400k is very great sales but it wont surpass 700k lifetime on vita. Maybe not even 600k.

tbone51 said:
Aerys said:
EricFabian said:

God eater 2 sold 400k in only 2 month  on Vita only in Japan, not being handheld exclusive. It's obviously an excellent score and there is no doubt MH would do much better,  and far much better if it was handheld exclusive.

and MH3U sold only 500k in the world in 1 year. So it's not really good enough for capcom i think...

So yes pezus is right

Yeahhhh.... The thing is though 3ds had it already and WiiU version came out later. Also this is handheld land. Dont get me wrong 400k is very great sales but it wont surpass 700k lifetime on vita. Maybe not even 600k.

God Eater isn't Monster Hunter, MH game would easily sell double of that, so the orginal point it doesn;t make sense to ignore the Vita.

Around the Network
betacon said:
tbone51 said:
Aerys said:
EricFabian said:

So yes pezus is right

God Eater isn't Monster Hunter, MH game would easily sell double of that, so the orginal point it doesn;t make sense to ignore the Vita.

Well thats true, Capcom stated that they want it on one platform though so i dont kno? Imo smartest thing is to release it on all systems but they want it exclusive. Only thing is some people want it Vita exclusive which wont happen. Also if vita had its own version as multiplat it definitely could do 750k+ easily but 1mil looks about a good goal.

osed125 said:

Wasn't only Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2 "remakes"? Freedom 3 and Unite are the only "brand new" tittles as far as I know.

In any case, all the Freedom games are very similar, all go in line of what Capcom considers expansions (4 or 5 big Monsters, 1 or 2 new areas, sometimes 1 new weapon, etc). 

For example: (btw this are from the top of my head, I could be wrong.)

• Without counting the multiple color variations for Rathalos and Rathian, Freedom 2 only has 3 new big monsters compare to Freedom 1, and only 1 more weapon.
  • Freedom 2 to 3 was a big change though, adding 15 new Monster or something like that, various weapons and new areas. This is really a new tittle in the franchise
  • Freedom 3 to Unite only added 5 new Monsters, no new weapons were added.

So yeah, Capcom basically sold to the same userbase at least 2 times (From Freedom 1 to 2 and Freedom 3 to Unite), and all 4 games sold really well (with 3 and Unite being the 2 biggest games in the franchise).

I also don't think comparing consoles with handhelds is a good idea here, because as I mentioned earlier, MH has never been popular on consoles, with only Tri for the Wii selling more than 1 million units in Japan (and barely making it). 

Freedom Unite was Monster 2G Portable as far as I'm aware and I assumed that was a portable version of an expansion for Monster Hunter 2, but maybe I'm wrong on that.  I thought Portable 3rd was the first truly "new" MonHun game on PSP and that's why it caused such a fuss when it came out.

Sadly no WiiU version = no buy for me as I loved MH3U in HD, it looked beautifull and I can't imagine myself playing w/o a second joystick.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Kresnik said:
osed125 said:

snip

Freedom Unite was Monster 2G Portable as far as I'm aware and I assumed that was a portable version of an expansion for Monster Hunter 2, but maybe I'm wrong on that.  I thought Portable 3rd was the first truly "new" MonHun game on PSP and that's why it caused such a fuss when it came out.

Monster Hunter was released on the PS2, Monster Hunter G was an expansion for it. Monster Hunter Freedom (called Monster Hunter Portable in Japan) was released on PSP, it was based on Monster Hunter G. G was also later released on the Wii.

Monster Hunter 2 was released on the PS2. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (Monster Hunter Portable 2nd in Japan) for PSP was based on it. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G), also for the PSP, was an expansion of Freedom 2.

Monster Hunter Tri was released on Wii. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was released on PSP and later PS3, it was completely new. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was released on 3DS and Wii U.

Monster Hunter 4 was released on 3DS, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was just announced.

R.I.P. Vita

Moderated - Kresnik.