By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who is the Nintendo heir apparent?

If Iwata were to resign or be cut loose who do you this his successor would be? Miyamoto, Reggie, or some unknown entity? I, personally, have no clue but its always fun to speculate.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network
Hibern81 said:

If Iwata were to resign or be cut loose who do you this his successor would be? Miyamoto, Reggie, or some unknown entity? I, personally, have no clue but its always fun to speculate.

Yeah right... put a  61 year old game designer, that probably has no experience in economy, in the lead and let him guide the company.

great idea!

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

I guess they can always call up old Howard Lincoln.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Not as an immediate replacement, but I see him as the long-term successor to either Iwata or Miyamoto. Iwata was the president of Hal Labs when Yamauchi picked him as Nintendo's future president. Sakurai worked at Hal Labs with Iwata, and sort of took over for Iwata when he moved up, though I don't know whether Sakurai became Hal's president. I think Iwata sees a bit of himself in Sakurai. The two seem to have some sort of friendship, as well, and although Sakurai left Nintendo in 2003, Iwata personally approached him to ask him to direct the production of Smash Bros Brawl. I see it as only a matter of time before Sakurai officially reunites with Nintendo -- but as the reason he left Nintendo was due to his disapproval of the company's software management, I think he would require a higher position of authority to be persuaded to return.

This is actually a good question. What do we really know about Nintendo's board of directors?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

No way will it be Miyamoto... He wants to retire and the only thing thats stopping him is the cries of Nintendo fans

I doubt it will be Reggie cause hes not Japanese so most likely, it will be Sakurai based on the people we know that is

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

You know I don't think anybody ever thought about this question. I have no idea though.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

It looks to me like Tatsumi Kimishima is being groomed for the role. He was moved from president of NOA back to NCL. 

Sakurai is a game developer he doesn't know anything about the business side. 

Reggie isn't even on the board of directors, no way would he be taking over. I'm guessing Genyo Takeda is the likely candidate since he seems to be Iwata's number 2.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

They need someone who's not currently employed by Nintendo, but is involved in the gaming industry.