By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2008: How much will PS3 outsell 360?

How much do you expect the PS3 to outsell the 360 in 2008?

EA expects the PS3 to outsell the 360 this year by about 3.5 million for Europe, personally I would go closer to 4 million due to high profile exclusives.

For Noth America EA expects both platforms to perform about on par, this puzzles me somewhat considering most XBox users already upgraded and considering the high profile PS3 exclusives. Personally I expect the difference to be at the very least 1 million, I would normally state more but maybe EA knows something I don't, it's an American company afterall.

With regard to Japan I believe this will be the PS3's breakthrough year for Japan, especially if FF XIII does get released. Considering the 360 is pretty much a non factor there, I would say about 1.5 million difference.

For the rest of the world I would add another 500k worth of difference.

Total: At least ~7 million, so IMO the PS3 could well end up becoming on par or even end up outselling the 360's total install base this year. (Assuming no economic slowdowns or major shockers)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

i do think ps3 will outsell 360 this year for about 2-3 million but it wont outsell its total

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Crap Mike..I think you may be overestimating some of these. I do like your optimism though. Personally I think they will be dead even or PS3 will lose by 1 mil. in NA, PS3 will win by 1.5 mil in Japan, and PS3 will win by 1.5 mil. in Others.

So in total I think the difference will be 2-3 million in PS3's favor. And even that's probably a little optimistic.

@ brute

How would you breakdown your estimate over different regions?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I think the difference will be around 2 million this year in the PS3s favour. The 360 should win in America by around 1 million due to strong holiday sales. Japan + Europe should give PS3 an advantage of around 3 million.

Thus around 2 million difference world wide.

Around the Network

Ps3 will outsell the 360 but it won't catch up to it.

Right now the PS3 is selling at a rate that would have it outsell the XBox 360 by 2.5 Million units this year ... I suspect that the XBox 360 will be able to reduce its price dramatically and will be able to limit the ammount it is outsold by the PS3.

MikeB said:

EA expects the PS3 to outsell the 360 this year by about 3.5 million, personally I would go closer to 4 million due to high profile exclusives.

For Noth America EA expects both platforms to peform about on par, this puzzles me somewhat considering most XBox users already upgraded and considering the high profile PS3 exclusives. Personally I expect the difference to be at the very least 1 million, I would normally state more but maybe EA knows something I don't, it's an American company afterall.

With regard to Japan I believe this will be the PS3's breakthrough year for Japan, especially if FF XIII does get released. Considering the 360 is pretty much a non factor there, I would say about 1.5 million difference.

Total: At least ~7 million, so IMO the PS3 could well end up becoming on par or even end up outselling the 360's total install base this year. (Assuming no economic slowdowns or major shockers)

hold it 7 million gap

america 1,5 million

japan 2,5 million

others 2,5 million

would mean a lead for the xbox360 of 500.000

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
MikeB said:

EA expects the PS3 to outsell the 360 this year by about 3.5 million, personally I would go closer to 4 million due to high profile exclusives.

For Noth America EA expects both platforms to peform about on par, this puzzles me somewhat considering most XBox users already upgraded and considering the high profile PS3 exclusives. Personally I expect the difference to be at the very least 1 million, I would normally state more but maybe EA knows something I don't, it's an American company afterall.

hold it 7 million gap

america 1,5 million

japan 2,5 million

others 2,5 million

would mean a lead for the xbox360 of 500.000

VGchartz undertracked the PS3. So Gap is less.

HappySqurriel,do you think the PS3 will manage to catch up and pass the 360´s WW install base at some point?...because while the 360 doesn´t sell in Japan,it does very well in America and decent in Europe,so it won´t remain idle,letting the PS3 pass it by....what do you think?