What should it be called?

PS4.1 10 20.83%

PS4+ 15 31.25%

PS4ever 14 29.17%

Other 8 16.67%

Total:47
the-pi-guy said:

What would be the point?  

How big of an improvement would this be? 

Were you a psp guy?

PSP had a similar thing happen. It was done by different means, but it was still a mid-gen graphics upgrade. Here's the results from that: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/11/god-of-war-222mhz-versus-333mhz/

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
the-pi-guy said:

What would be the point?  

Were you a psp guy?

PSP had a similar thing happen. It was done by different means, but it was still a mid-gen graphics upgrade. Here's the results from that: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/11/god-of-war-222mhz-versus-333mhz/

What about the diminishing returns, though? Haven't read the article yet, but it sounds too much like misterxmedia to me.

Didn't PS3 had a mid gen improvements to hardware as well, like smaller OS RAM footprint and one SPU unlocked?

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

the-pi-guy said:
eFKac said:
JoeTheBro said:
the-pi-guy said:

What would be the point?  

Were you a psp guy?

What about the diminishing returns, though? Haven't read the article yet, but it sounds too much like misterxmedia to me.

Didn't PS3 had a mid gen improvements to hardware as well, like smaller OS RAM footprint and one SPU unlocked?

It's nothing like misterxmedia at all.  

The PS3 did have improvements.  Uncharted 2 was made with less than 400 MB of RAM, because that is all they had available.  While TLoU was probably made with at least 70 MB more RAM.  

I don't believe the SPU was ever unlocked no.  

ahh so it's simply the secondary ARM chip, the title had me suspicious, but it's no discovery since it was announced and of course the Gb instead of GB which I never pay attention to.

Yeah so I have no idea what Joe is talking about, at best the PS4.0 in the "full game mode" has an additional power of 256MB of DDR3 RAM and a small, most probably low clocked ARM chip. Where is the gain in that? Or what I am missing?

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:
the-pi-guy said:

The PS3 did have improvements.  Uncharted 2 was made with less than 400 MB of RAM, because that is all they had available.  While TLoU was probably made with at least 70 MB more RAM.  

ahh so it's simply the secondary ARM chip, the title had me suspicious, but it's no discovery since it was announced and of course the Gb instead of GB which I never pay attention to.

Yeah so I have no idea what Joe is talking about, at best the PS4.0 in the "full game mode" has an additional power of 256MB of DDR3 RAM and a small, most probably low clocked ARM chip. Where is the gain in that? Or what I am missing?

It's not that the secondary chip is used for the game, but that the chip is used for absolutely everything but the game. Basically 100% of the CPU, GPU, and RAM are given for the game to use.

fps_d0minat0r said:

If I wanted to do non-gaming stuff I would buy an XB1.

edit: actually I wouldnt, I would use my PC instead.

Ps4 cannot do non gaming stuff?? News to me.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

You do broach the subject of a definite problem, the fact that this gen, unlike last gen, both consoles released with specs substantially below that of the best PC's, meaning that if this generation is long, PC graphics will be even further ahead by the end of the generation than they were last time (and now that Steam is battling for people's living rooms with the Steam Machine, that's a definite problem). There's also the fact that mobile graphics are evolving faster and faster, upcoming mobile chips are already as powerful as the 360 and PS3, mobile could catch the Xbox One and PS4 as early as 2017. That leaves Microsoft and Sony with a tough choice to make, make this generation as short as console generations used to be (5 years tops), meaning less total sales over the course of the generation and many dissapointed customers annoyed that they bought an expensive console which now can't play the latest games, or trying to come up with a method to extend the life of the consoles. Microsoft seems to be heavily focusing on the cloud to enhance the longevity of the Xbox One, they're gambling that internet connections will improve enough in the coming years for most consumers to be able to experience cloud enhanced graphics. Sony on the other hand hasn't revealed much about their approach, will they attempt to extend longevity with the cloud, will they introduce small hardware upgrades like you're suggesting, or will they introduce the PS5 by 2017-2018?

Disagree, we are getting close to the point of zero returns..graphics now are more about tweaks small improvements then major graphical leaps. LOL,at the cloud, ms even knows it's not going to help x1's graphics they even stopped talking about it.  The cloud is a myth perpetuated by ms because they have a weaker machine.

JoeTheBro said:
eFKac said:
the-pi-guy said:

It's not that the secondary chip is used for the game, but that the chip is used for absolutely everything but the game. Basically 100% of the CPU, GPU, and RAM are given for the game to use.

Ok I get it now. What are the current figures...? 5.5GB + 1GB flexible for games, rumoured 1 Jaguar core reserved for OS, no info about GPU power reserved for anything but games. (correct me everywhere I'm wrong) and they would have to fill that all in the secondary chip for the PS4.0 to be fully forward compatible 1:1 in games with the PS4.1?

Greatness Awaits!

shikamaru317 said:

You do broach the subject of a definite problem, the fact that this gen, unlike last gen, both consoles released with specs substantially below that of the best PC's, meaning that if this generation is long, PC graphics will be even further ahead by the end of the generation than they were last time (and now that Steam is battling for people's living rooms with the Steam Machine, that's a definite problem). There's also the fact that mobile graphics are evolving faster and faster, upcoming mobile chips are already as powerful as the 360 and PS3, mobile could catch the Xbox One and PS4 as early as 2017. That leaves Microsoft and Sony with a tough choice to make, make this generation as short as console generations used to be (5 years tops), meaning less total sales over the course of the generation and many dissapointed customers annoyed that they bought an expensive console which now can't play the latest games, or trying to come up with a method to extend the life of the consoles. Microsoft seems to be heavily focusing on the cloud to enhance the longevity of the Xbox One, they're gambling that internet connections will improve enough in the coming years for most consumers to be able to experience cloud enhanced graphics. Sony on the other hand hasn't revealed much about their approach, will they attempt to extend longevity with the cloud, will they introduce small hardware upgrades like you're suggesting, or will they introduce the PS5 by 2017-2018?

Is that true? Back in 2005 1GB RAM was available in the best PCs, and I thought the best GPUs were better than what was available in Xbox360. And PS3's RSX wasn't cutting edge in 2006.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think the only way to go about an enhanced (PS4S) is to do it at the APU's die shrink. Drop the PS4 to $299, and introduce the PS4S at $399. The PS4S would have 12 core CPU, and 28CU's, with a 288GB's GDDR5. It keeps in place all the same architecture, so code would run across the PS4 and PS4S making it easy for devs to code to the PS4S and turn off effects for the PS4.

An upgraded ARM chip I believe would be seen in all models enhancing the multimedia features.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

PS5