By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is No one talking about Killer Instinct on XBOX1 ?

Those are some really valid points........ (somehow my reply button does not work)

Around the Network

yeah i guess it's the flipside of dead rising three, a one game that seemed to gain popularity over time (at least judging by lets plays on youtube)

in contrast ki kinda disappeared

padib said:
superhippy420 said:
I have seen alot of comments about the fighting game genre not being as popular as it used to be, and I think that is only half true to be honest. The 2D fighting games last gen made a big resurgence and had very good sales, considering many of the franchises were dead for a while. Street Fighter IV has sold over 7 million. Mortal Kombat has done over 4.4 million. Injustice outsold new releases of Gears of War,Splinter Cell, and Rayman. Super Smash Bros Brawl did over 12 million and was the best selling fighting game of all time. It's the 3D fighting games that bombed out last gen. SoulCalibur V was a bomb. Tekken Tag 2 bomed. Dead or Alive 5 was a mega-bomb. Microsoft dropped the ball with Killer Instinct big time. Microsoft bought into the whole "digital sales are the future" point of view, and the reality is that even though digital has grown, you still can't beat having your game on the shelf or on sites like Amazon. Their other HUGE miscalculation was not releasing the full game to start. Big no-no for fighting games. If Smash Bros came out digitally with only 8 characters it would be a flop too. Fans begged Microsoft for years for a new Killer Instinct, and got shafted, there's really no other way to put it.

The X1 is 400$, nobody is going to buy it just for Killer Instinct. Give the game time to have a chance at least.

It could do ok, but not until it gets a retail release.  Minecraft really wasn't selling that great on 360 at all until it got a retail release.  Digital could be the future, but for now retail is still king.  Microsoft need's to not try and force the issue, and just let the market grow on it's own. 

I find it ironic since a new KI game was always on a most wanted list along with games Mario RPG 2, Half- Life 3, Shenmue 3, etc...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

I find it ironic since a new KI game was always on a most wanted list along with games Mario RPG 2, Half- Life 3, Shenmue 3, etc...

I really think Nintendo should look into doing another strictly turn based Mario RPG.     Final Fantasy XIII has only done a fraction of what the old ones used to sell and the biggest difference is that it is not turn based.  12 and 13 were radical shifts from the originals and now the franchise is on the brink of collapse.  Turn  based RPG's are just much easier for your average gamer to play.   Disgaea is a cool  game for example but is just way too complex for your average person.

Around the Network
Slade6alpha said:
JayWood likes it, you should ask him.

Oh you didnt think id miss a KI thread did you :P

The reason it isnt being talked about is the same reason every other game doesnt get talked about constantly.  KI was actually talked about a bit when it first released as most games are.  However on forums we usually talk about future stuff and what is being fixed.

However we have been talking about KI and future characters on numerous occasions.  Thunder is now free and Spinal is outnext week xD

Usually i wont go praising a game on VGC but in this case I will say that KI for XBO is probably the best fighting game ive ever played competitively.  People in the fighting community and people on youtube are talking about this game btw, and the universal opinion seems to be that it is one of the best fighting games from a gameplay standpoint because it is failry balanced, the coding is great, and it has great characters.  

Notice im saying Online though.  If you want to play a fighting game for singleplayer you might want to wait to play it when sotry comes out in feb or march.  Season 2 was also already announced and Cinder as well as riptor is looking to be making their debut.  My guess is this will all happen sometime in the fall.  So not only do i consider it to be great already but it will be getting even better with more characters and a story.

Now you may be asking if im telling the truth about all this?  Well ive played 80 hours and 500 matches so far.  I play KI every day if i have the time.  I wouldnt be playing it if i didnt think it was amazing.  I also visit KI forums, watch KI tournaments, and i follow Maximillian on youtube which will give you a better retrospective of KI than what i ever could as he is a fighting pro.

Again people are still talking about this game, just not on VGC and forums like it.  The only time games will be talked about extensively on forums is when you can see their sales (which you cant since KI is digital) or when something needs updated in the game (so far KI is pretty flawless).  Oh i will say that they need to fix rage quitting in KI though, which they already said an update for that is coming.

My opinion - Best ONline Fighter ive ever played but if you want singleplayer wait for the story. not only is it my fav next gen game so far, but it is one of my fav games for the last couple years.  No BS

Review by Maximillian

sth88 said:
Just started playing it tonight. I love the characters and the music, but I have no real experience with fighting games, and it's showing even as I try to work my way through the Dojo mode. Executing Jago's Tiger Fury is really hard for me, and combos aren't much easier. It's going to take a lot of practice if I am going to have any hope of being any good at this game.

Dont feel bad, i sucked at first too.  Now im moving up in levels.

Im sabrewulf primarily, sadira after that.  Jago is good as well but im not that great with him.  It shows my record with him at 85% wins with him right now (20 wins) but that is because i used him up against low level fighters only lol  I do the same with thunder because i realyl suck with him. Damn, thunder is a bitch to go against though when people know how to use him.  Glacius is hard as well.  one of those characters that is hard to learn but awesome when you master them

KI is kind of an incomplete game for starters. Presumably it will have some sort of persistent user base as more content is added, but I'm not sure this is the way to handle the equivalent of episodic content.

On the plus side, the one player demo will always be there for new XOne owners, so presumably the game should pick up at least some new players.

As it's been said, the fighting game genre has become a much smaller, concentrated niche than it was in its heyday, so there may have been a bit of artificial enthusiasm from Xbox fans with regards to the level of demand.

I would have to say that players who were fans of the original KI way back on the SNES would probably be the core user base and that nostalgia may not necessarily be the strongest thing to bring players back to a genre most have probably moved on from.

padib said:

The X1 is 400$, nobody is going to buy it just for Killer Instinct. Give the game time to have a chance at least.

500$

I agree. Nobody buys a console for fighting games but most gamers have a fighting game in the library to play.

"Why is No one talking about Killer Instinct on XBOX1 ?"

Truthful answer, because not that many people were all that interested in it, it just got a lot of fuss in the run up to, and during launch because people felt the need to overcompensate to give the impression that one launch was better than another, as such you had people calling it the second coming, fast forward a month or two and other than a handful of people who will avidly defend it either because they genuinely like it, or because its an xbox exclusive, most everyone else has backed off on their stances towards it, or conveniently moved on.

Xbox owner answer: they haven't and me responding to this and saying its awesome is proof, because I am all xbox owners.

Playstation owner answer: they dropped it because it sux.

politically correct answer: who knows, its a good game i'm sure.

reality is, despite it not being a very good game, there are plenty of people that fell for the hype and were let down, and some that will tell you its the holy grail of games, just like with kz shadowfall, just like every other launch game for every other system.

But in the end, does it really matter?, nobody is talking about Omega Boost (PS1), or Dracula X (PCE) or even Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN), does it make them bad games? nope, it just makes them old games, and generally on forums such as this, unless it's an absolute standout title it will only be brought up in arguments or insults.

Welcome to internet foruming.