By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardware does matter! (hear me out)

160rmf said:
DerNebel said:

And you think developers are not going to look for new ways to exploit the extra power they are given with those machines, because Cod and Fifa sell? What kind of a ridiculous conclusion is that?

Because I THINK Cod and fifa players are the vast majority in the gaming community,  I am not gonna affirm this... I'm just gonna say this based on my friends and people that i know in my country, They are restrictive gamers, they only buy this games no matter how much others inovate. And that's why i think the devs that put to much effort in new possibilities of gameplay will ended up in the bankrupcy. And you are affirming that the devs gonna fully optimize the hardware in this generation based on what? intuition? cristal ball? 

You know you're on a sales website, right? Just look at the data we have, sure Cod and Fifa sell but that doesn't mean other games don't.

And I'm affirming that devs are going to fully optimize the hardware based on freaking logic. Every successful gaming console in the past had been fully optimized by devs at the end of its lifecycle, this gen is not gonna be different.

Around the Network
160rmf said:
DerNebel said:
160rmf said:

160rmf said:

Ok fine... games have evolved with advanced hardware, we are not playing pong anymore, we have transited to 3d graphics that had allowed to new possibilities, but now?

What are the new possibilities with this generation?

So you've admitted he's right and that hardware matters? Yes?

/arguement

Are you serious? I think you simply ignored my question

Would you mind answering for me? (the question on the post you quoted)

Really? How do you expect anyone to answer that? How should we know in what ways developers are going to utilize the extra power they now have available with the PS4/X1?

The simple and undisputable fact is that more power opens up more possibilities in game development, you cannot deny that. How that extra power is going to be used remains to be seen.

OK, so you think devs are going to bring more possibilities to gameplay, putting a lot of effort and money, when people are running to stores to buy the "new" call of duty and fifa, ok ok

Fifa and COd only next gen games confirmed? Destiny and witcher 3, titanfall just a dream?

hinch said:
superhippy420 said:
hinch said:
Of course. If hardware didn't matter we wouldn't get heated debates over this. Developers have shown their distaste at Wii U hardware from their initial testings (DICE, Bethesda, 4A Games etc) and the disparity between different systems can greatly affect whether a game is going to be considered for release on that platform.

It isn't only to do with power though. There are many other factors like; ease of development, SDK's, dealing with hardware, architectures and other tools.

Also, if hardware didn't matter why did millions of gamers out there go out and buy the very same games that are on the PS3/360 with the PS4/s and Xbox Ones. UK hardware sales were in a slump and software down on all counts. And how there's a massive growth with new kit. Why is that? If there isn't anything distinguishing the last generation of hardware why would anyone bother with new consoles?

What about the majority of people that did'nt rush out to buy a new console.    Xbone and PS4 combined have sold about 8 million, which is a big number, but is also only 5 percent of the total number of consoles sold on PS3/360 last gen.    To have long term continued success, you need to have strong software.  Go look at Wii U.  It had a very strong launch with 2.3 million sold in the first 6 weeks and then Nintendo released zero AAA titles until SM3DW in Decemeber and has sold 1.5 million since it came out.    They didnt release one game from January to August, and then came out with a handful of Niche and B-tier games like Pikmin,Wonderful 101, Wii Party U, and a Wind Waker remake.   Let's see what happens as 2014 moves on and Sony does'nt put out software that people want, then their sales could go right down the tubes as well.   Same goes for Microsoft.   

Wii U was first to the market, with no competition besides the PS3 and Xbox 360. They had 12 months headstart ahead of the competition, yet the software sales for the platform are bad in comparision to XB1/PS4 (outside a few select titles by first party). Nintendo already launched 3 flagship titles in 2013 - Mario Bros, 3D Mario and Zelda but hardware sales remain mediocre at best.

PS4/XB1 demand is still very high despite having very few actual new, compelling titles that are exclusive to their respective platforms. Its the hardware that's selling it at the moment.

So obvious yet some people are in denial.

2008ProchargedGT said:
FlamingWeazel said:
ibrahim said:
why do you buy a console if hardware matters?

What PC can play halo, Uncharted, God of war, Destiny, MLB the show, Infamous, Drive club, Gran turismo, tales of xillia. and on and on.........

If they had he rights to them  any decently powered PC could, you kinda arguing software beats hardware with this stance.

Except software cannot exist without hardware, nor does progress or new experiences happen without new hardware (see wii motion controls, new effects, bigger worlds, better AI etc...)

cannonballZ said:
waltz said:
it does why do you think the crew and the division aren't coming to the wii u

Sales, because the division is coming to last gen consoles also. 

Nah it's not.

On topic: I agree with OP. Nintendo have released awful hardware for the 3DS and Wii U and it's sad that Nintendo fans just have to accept it (or be declared as haters ) It's not good enough and they're rightfully being abandoned by the average consumer. I have no idea why anyone would defend Nintendo other than a religious zealotry towards a company. A company whose CEO openly admits he thinks consumers should be ripped off so they don't get used to paying for a game what it is actually worth.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:

And I'm affirming that devs are going to fully optimize the hardware based on freaking logic. Every successful gaming console in the past had been fully optimized by devs at the end of its lifecycle, this gen is not gonna be different.

Only time will tell

We reap what we sow

as of january 24 2014 there has been no confirmation of the crew and the division being on last gen and wii u 

I nominate this for most bull crap in a thread so far this year.

Why does it have to be about nintendo fanboys?

People arent arguing about power either per say. People are saying that gameplay > Graphics and that artstyle > power. Example could be Wind Waker HD and Knack. Knack is probably technically better but many people will enjoy Wind Waker HD's artstyle more

Gameplay would be like BF4 and CoD. BF4 looks better but to many people CoD plays better.

When it comes down to it not everybody cares about the most powerful machine and if you do you might as well play PC and stop talking about consoles anyways.

This thread fills me with contempt. It's $599 US Dollars all over again. How dare I, as a customer, defend Toyota for selling me "shitty" cars. Can't I see it would be far better for every car company to make high-quality cars like Lamborghini?

The OP's assertion that the Wii U is "limiting developers" by not being more powerful is hilarious in light of the massive delays Nintendo's first-party projects have seen because they're not used to working with such powerful hardware. More powerful hardware would only have resulted in worse delays. "We just got the word from up top, the Wii U has been made way more powerful. Up all of our assets to 1080p resolution." Yeah, that wouldn't be expensive or time-consuming.