By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's not about the framerate!

Chris Hu said:
theprof00 said:
@chris hu
It is decidedly a bigger difference than last gen.
We saw the difference in the exclsuives...the.optimized games. We will see a bigger difference this gen than last.

Still not as big a difference as with the examples that I have gave though.

So how have you come to that conclusion 2-3 months into this gen?

Around the Network
kupomogli said:
Chris Hu said:
The power difference really isn't that huge its not like we are talking about original X-Box versus PS2 or SNES versus Sega Genesis/Megadrive where with those you could easily spot the power difference even without having side by side screen comparisons.

It's not as big of a power difference compared to the PS2 and Xbox.  Xbox was between two and four times more powerful overall.  Genesis was more powerful than the SNES though.

So which maths did you use to work that out??? Xbox was never 2 to 4 times more powerful than the PS2.

ethomaz said:

The DF comparision was using the Xbox 360 and PS2 backwards compatibility.

"Visuals are unaffected for the most part. 360 backwards compatibility playback should invoke 4x multi-sample anti-aliasing, but it appears that both the original game and the emulation both utilise 2x MSAA."

The game have less jaggies only running on 360 with 4xMSAA... on PS2 or Xbox it is the same with 2x MSAA.

By the way, a few years later on mobile devices ;)

Chris Hu said:
kupomogli said:
Chris Hu said:

The Genesis had a faster processor but when it came to raw power the SNES was miles ahead.  It had better graphics, could display more colors and had better sound.

Better CPU and GPU so it was more powerful.  It just had a limit of 512 colors and a worse sound chip.

Nope the SNES was a lot more powerful then the Genesis.  Also you are forgetting about Mode 7 something the Genesis couldn't do.

Yes the difference was night and day. Absolutely huge unlike the X1 and PS4

RazorDragon said:

Both consoles are completely underpowered against a current PC, so I find comparing framerates and resolution pointless when those games can be played at like, 4K and 120FPS on PCs.

You can play these games at 360FPS and 8K resolution on a NASA super computer so i find comparing framterates and resolutions pointless

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
aryu said:
Anfebious said:
Yeah you are right, the power is clearly measurable. The PS4 is way more powerful and we have to spread this around the world! The more people that know about this the merrier, I'll start by telling my 6 year old brother and my dog!

You should go and tell your 6 year old brother and dog. You're not lying to them so why not?

I did! My brother instantly went ahead and stick glue in my hair. My dog kept saying "woof woof". I'm pretty sure they got the message!

You must not have said it right. Say it lovingly. I'm sure they'll respond postively :)

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Kane1389 said:
RazorDragon said:

Both consoles are completely underpowered against a current PC, so I find comparing framerates and resolution pointless when those games can be played at like, 4K and 120FPS on PCs.

You can play these games at 360FPS and 8K resolution on a NASA super computer so i find comparing framterates and resolutions pointless

NASA computers run proprietary OS's, so games can't be played on those.

theprof00 said:
It was about the undeniable FACT of these differences within multiplats PROVES the massive power difference.

I think YOU have missed the point. If such a "massive" power difference makes so little impact to the player, then is it really of value? Ever heard of "diminishing returns"? It's kind of like how you can buy a good computer for $1000, a really good computer for $2000, an even better computer for $4000... but the difference between what you'll get for $10,000 and $20,000 is actually rather small, certainly not of the same scale as the difference between $1000 and $2000.

It happens with most things. The difference between 480p and 720p is about the same in technical terms as the difference between 720p and 1080p... but the latter difference seems a lot smaller to the viewer/player. An in-game draw distance of 20 m will seem dramatically different from a draw distance of 40 m, but the difference between 1 km and 2 km won't be nearly as noticeable. Doubling the polygons in a model of a face from 300 to 600 will make a noticeable difference, doubling from 10,000 to 20,000 will make very little difference. A game with 2 modes will seem to have a lot more variety than a game with just 1 mode, while a game with 200 modes will not seem like it has any more variation than a game with 100 modes.

The "massive" power difference is having less of an effect, because of this. The difference between PS2 and PS3 seems a lot bigger than the difference between PS3 and PS4... despite the differences being fairly comparable. We have entered the realm in which the art matters more than the graphical technology, where intelligent design of AI matters more than sheer AI computational power, where attention to detail means making things react just right rather than making sure that the surface has a high enough level of visual detail. We were beginning to enter it with PS3 and 360. With the Wii U, it has completed the process, and now the PS4 and XBO are deep into that realm.

That's why the most visually appealing titles of 2013 include a Wii U title, a Vita title, a current-gen multiplatform title (Wii U, PS3, X360, Vita), two PS3 titles, and a PS3/360/PC title, to name a few, despite the release of the PS4 and XBO. It's why the highest-rated title of the year for this generation was a Wii U game (unless you count the PS4 port of flower - and that's only because very few sites have reviewed it), and why none of those beat the top PS3 or 360 title of the year.

When it comes down to it, the only way you're really going to notice the difference between XBO and PS4 once a bit of optimisation for each platform is done is by comparing them side-by-side. And when you have to do that to notice the difference, most people aren't going to notice it at all. This is why Nintendo changed their approach, and whether the new approach is working well or poorly, one thing you can honestly say is that you can tell the difference - playing Wii U is a different experience from playing XBO or PS4, or X360 or PS3 (I make no value judgment - no call as to which is better, just noting the different-ness), and the difference isn't due to power (as the 360/PS3 to Wii U comparison makes clear).

RazorDragon said:
Kane1389 said:
RazorDragon said:

NASA computers run proprietary OS's, so games can't be played on those.

Im pretty sure you can run anything  on a NASA PC if you really want to

Aielyn said:
theprof00 said:
It was about the undeniable FACT of these differences within multiplats PROVES the massive power difference.

I think YOU have missed the point. If such a "massive" power difference makes so little impact to the player, then is it really of value

Yes, especially if a vastly more powerfull system is 100$ cheaper. Also, 100% difference (30 to 60) in framerate IS easly noticable, and it directly effects the gameplay