By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's not about the framerate!

"The DF comparision was using the Xbox 360 and PS2 backwards compatibility."

Okay, that explains it.

IMHO, the most impressive 6th generation multiplatform graphics was the shooter "Black". Not many difference there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3bG2POmons

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
Yeah you are right, the power is clearly measurable. The PS4 is way more powerful and we have to spread this around the world! The more people that know about this the merrier, I'll start by telling my 6 year old brother and my dog!

You should go and tell your 6 year old brother and dog. You're not lying to them so why not?

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

And, it's so sad that the same people who was caring so much about 360 ports being better than PS3 by a microscopic margin(apart from Bioshock Infinite, GTAV and Tomb Raider, which won by a microscopic margin on PS3) now say that 1080p VS 720p or slighty higher of 60fps vs 30fps is not a big deal muaaaahhhh this is pathetic.

aryu said:
Anfebious said:
Yeah you are right, the power is clearly measurable. The PS4 is way more powerful and we have to spread this around the world! The more people that know about this the merrier, I'll start by telling my 6 year old brother and my dog!

You should go and tell your 6 year old brother and dog. You're not lying to them so why not?

I did! My brother instantly went ahead and stick glue in my hair. My dog kept saying "woof woof". I'm pretty sure they got the message!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Both consoles are completely underpowered against a current PC, so I find comparing framerates and resolution pointless when those games can be played at like, 4K and 120FPS on PCs.

Around the Network
RazorDragon said:

Both consoles are completely underpowered against a current PC, so I find comparing framerates and resolution pointless when those games can be played at like, 4K and 120FPS on PCs.

I agree but you need to limit the cost of your PC to make a fair comparison... 4k and 120fps is impossible with $400 machines.

ethomaz said:
RazorDragon said:

I agree but you need to limit the cost of your PC to make a fair comparison... 4k and 120fps is impossible with $400 machines.

Actually, 4K and 120FPS is kinda impossible with any PC right now since no 4K monitors can display more than 30hz. Of course, the game engine itself can run at 120FPS, but the only difference you'll notice will be in input lag.

There's that $499 Steam Machine(which you could probably make yourself for $400) which is more powerful than PS4(it has an AMD A6 CPU and a R7 270 GPU), and quite certainly powerful enough to run games at 4K or 120FPS, considering you lower the settings enough to get playable framerates at 4K or lower resolution enough to get stable 120FPS.

Okay, so here's the definite answer about this thread:

Yes, PS4 is clearly graphically more powerful than PS4. On paper, the difference is about 50% - in practice, the difference is currently rather even higher: If we look at the native resolution/framerate XB1 and PS4 games are being rendered and calculate the numbers of pixels being rendered per second by each console, we're currently rather looking at a 100-125% percent graphical power difference: Because a game being rendered at 1080p at a certain framerate renders 225% the number of pixels per second than rendering at 720p and same framerate. Other games try to address the graphical power difference by picking the same resolution on both consoles, but rendering at 30fps instead of 60fps - so XB1 screenshots will look just as great as PS4 screenshots, hiding the fact that the PS4 version actually renders 200% the number of pixels per second in comparison to the XB1 version.

Now, once we can accept that PS4 is clearly more powerful, we can address the arguments brought forward by XB1 fans. There are many ridiculous arguments, but there is at least argument that indeed has a certain substance:

A theoretical 100% difference in rendering throughput CAN lead to graphical differences that are hardly perceivable for humans: Running a game at 60fps instead of 30fps requires twice the rendering throughput, but because of the characteristics of the human eye, 60fps do not feel like a 100% rendering power difference. The same goes for 1080p vs. 720p graphics:  The difference between both resolutions will often look hardly perceivable, and the smaller the TV screen, the smaller the graphical difference will look.

BUT: The perceived graphical difference may actually become even more important in the near future, for example considering Oculus Rift-like technology. These VR helmets will take the industy by storm, starting in 2015. But these VR helmets need massive graphics processing power to deliver a perfect immersive experience. 60fps are said to be very important, and one must always render twice the number of images in comparison to a single, 2D screen. And when it comes to VR helmets, using inappropriate, underpowered graphics hardware will not only lead to a perceived difference in graphics quality - it will ruin the immersive experience that VR helmets are great for, meaning underpowered graphics hardware is much more likely to make people sick and vomit, just like what many people experience when watching 3D movies.

Well, even PS4 is actually underpowered for Oculus Rift-like hardware. But that only stresses my point: With new exciting technologies like Oculus Rift coming up, even the perceived graphical power difference will grow.

Chris Hu said:
The power difference really isn't that huge its not like we are talking about original X-Box versus PS2 or SNES versus Sega Genesis/Megadrive where with those you could easily spot the power difference even without having side by side screen comparisons.

No your right the power difference is negligable at best isn't it???? 1080p vs720/900p? 30fps vs 60fps??? That isn't huge is it?

ethomaz said:

Chris Hu said:

Still not as big a difference as with the examples that I have gave though.

The difference in raw power is bigger than PS2 to Xbox...

Not according to Albert Panello and Chris Hu