By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why on rail shooters are dimished?

How much would you pay for a good on rail shooters?

The same i pay for any AAA title 17 35.42%

The same i pay for indie stuff 14 29.17%

Probably just trade off with someone 2 4.17%

I have no interest on games like these 15 31.25%

Total:48

Both RE on Wii were very good.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I think the simple fact that you "can't control" your character throws people off nowadays. I mean if you get a guy who plays CoD and then make him play Sin & Punishment for example, I'm pretty sure he's going to hate the latter.

Aside from RE: Umbrella Chronicles, I can't think of any recent on-rail shooter that has sold really well, and that's what throws developers from making these type of games imo, the market who liked these games either disappeared or moved on to other shooters.

Nintendo and PC gamer

rail shooters take away an element of freedom (movement).

..as console gamers we are the expert gamers. the long time gamers. the experienced gamers. the hardcore gamers. the gamers that will pay a large premium ($60 vs. free) for more in depth experiences than what you would find on the "casual" platforms like IOs.

rail shooters are simply beneath much us like angry birds, cut the rope, and candy crush. a simple experience for those that lack the skillz to handle a game with true depth.

My only issue is how some of them are designed to be quarter munchers. Played one of the House of the Dead at an arcade, and it was brutal at time, especially near the end. Thank goodness had infinite continues with one of those all day cards or would have cost me and my friend quite a bit (estimate $30 each or 60 lives each to beat it).

Why would anyone like such a restrictive game?

Around the Network

I'd like to add that Star Fox and Star Fox 64 are on-rails shooters, yet they are tons of fun. Don't judge a book by its  cover.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

On rails shooters were awesome on Wii...
i hope they release some of them on WiiU too using both the Wiimote and the gamepad perhaps?