By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii could support hd.

Does anybody know the wiis max polygon performance?

Around the Network

I think Nintendo put the 480p limit on the Wii specifically to discourage the kind of pissing contest that HD can become.

Sure, lots of games could do 720p and not take a hit because they wouldn't be pushing the hardware too much in 480p, but then suppose another game comes along and wants to go all out and do all sorts of stuff and so it wants to use 480p to concentrate on those other aspects -- only now everyone's saying OMGWTF 480P SUX GIVE US HD GRAFX! even though the second developer might have much better visuals by doing all those other things instead of 720p.

(Keep in mind that I have NO actual experience or technical knowledge on this particular subject, but this seems reasonable to me. Corrections are welcome.)

Short version:
1. Nintendo's going to stick to its guns on this one.
2. Good for them.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I think gran turismo 4 could support 1080i so it could be possible. There's no way in hell wii could ouput 1080p there's games on xbox 360 and ps3 that have hard times putting out that resolution. Personally in my opinion if game has great art etc. soc it can outshine some games that have more polygons on screen.