By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii could support hd.

Erm... when did 480p STOP being a HD resolution?

Of course the Wii can pull of your 'true HD' if you wanna call it that and refer to a minimal of 720p resolution. Who knows if we ever will see games pull it off in the future, would only take a firmware update I suppose to allow it to happen, but the Wii has more than enough juice in it to pull it off.

I think far too many people underestimate how powerful the console actually is. No I'm not talking on comparison to the 360 and PS3 but the Wii does have a kick to it.

Give it time... If the PS2 could do it, there is absolutely ZERO reason why the Wii can't.

Around the Network
MrMarc said:
Erm... when did 480p STOP being a HD resolution?

Of course the Wii can pull of your 'true HD' if you wanna call it that and refer to a minimal of 720p resolution. Who knows if we ever will see games pull it off in the future, would only take a firmware update I suppose to allow it to happen, but the Wii has more than enough juice in it to pull it off.

I think far too many people underestimate how powerful the console actually is. No I'm not talking on comparison to the 360 and PS3 but the Wii does have a kick to it.

Give it time... If the PS2 could do it, there is absolutely ZERO reason why the Wii can't.

480p is ed enhanced definition or in other words progressive scan. ITs the same resolution as 480i so its not hd. I completely agree on the underestimation. The wii is most likely 5 times more powerful than the gc and 3 times more powerful than the original xbox. Even though people like to look at the clock speeds and come to the conclusion of 2 times more powerful than gc.

480p does output at a higher resolution than 480i if it's Widescreen in question, something like 8xx (i forget) x 480 pixels, in 4:3 aspect ratio I believe it's the same. I'm not sure, I do know of the EDTV tag but technically it can still be referred to as a HD resolution because of it's progressive scan and higher output.

Sorry to digress heh.

EDIT: 854x480 for Widescreen 480p, it's 720x480 for 4:3 480p / 480i, strange really but hey!

I don't understand. The Wii works just fine on my HDTV.

fkusumot said:

I don't understand. The Wii works just fine on my HDTV.

When you have hd output it increases picture detail and stuff.  Im trying to say is that if hd is introduced to the wii it woud cause developers to actually work on graphics.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Sky Render said:
I honestly don't care if they do make games with 720i/p or 1080i/p for Wii. Indeed, I'd prefer they not go HD. Higher quality graphics always come at the expense of other parts of the budget, such as gameplay development. As graphics are just there to enhance the experience the gameplay provides, if the graphics are the main selling point, what does that say about the gameplay?

I agree but that would stop people from complaing abouthow the graphics suck on the wii. It would also show developers that the wii is more than a gamecube 2.0 and deserves graphics better than ps2. It would be a little nice to have hd too. Just the extra detail making it look nicer.

STOP COMPLANING!!!!, and just look at the fact that you enjoyed your Wii games way much more than your PS3 or XBOX360 games......... Because they have more than 6hrs worth gameplay.

Call of Duty 4 is about 4hrs,...... 4hrs........ 4 PHUCKIN hours for $60 phucking USA phuckin DOLLARS

3.5 phuckin hours if you're really good at it

P H U C K!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

Yeah I know wikipedia is not the best recourse but this is just to prove to you its not qualified as hd and is Ed and the resolution is the same unless on a widescreen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p forgot to add the link lol.

Imthelegend said:
I don't think it matters. No-one bought the Wii to get HD graphics. We wanted a console which concerns more about gameplay.

I agree, most people just don't care. 

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

sc94597 said:

I think the wii could pull of alot of those but maybe not all at high res.

Like I said one or the other, but not both.

Honestly, they will get better results from putting in the time to develope the techniques properly...especially if they can re-use the engine in other projects. And as I said higher resolutions are overrated by graphics whores. Thats not to say they are useless but they are given far too much credit when its not deserved.

Here is a decent example:

Crysis Pic Low Res 1200x800

Crysis Pic High Res 2560x1600

Which one looks better? Which one looks more realistic?

To my eyes at least the first one looks more realistic but you can see more detail in the second one. Which is what I'm trying to illustrate. With a game like Crysis where the detail is being properly rendered you can get some gain out of stupid high resolutions like 2560x1600..but even on a modest resolution it still looks stunning. A sort of diminishing returns to be sure.

Now honestly I think if you showed the pictures to people on the street the higher res pic would more easily be identified as a rendered shot. Now why is that? The answer should be obvious that it is the high quality BM on the leaves (and to a lesser extent in this shot the trees) with amazing lighting and shading techniques that would ring true for most people.

To Each Man, Responsibility
dnnc said:
sc94597 said:
Sky Render said:
I honestly don't care if they do make games with 720i/p or 1080i/p for Wii. Indeed, I'd prefer they not go HD. Higher quality graphics always come at the expense of other parts of the budget, such as gameplay development. As graphics are just there to enhance the experience the gameplay provides, if the graphics are the main selling point, what does that say about the gameplay?

I agree but that would stop people from complaing abouthow the graphics suck on the wii. It would also show developers that the wii is more than a gamecube 2.0 and deserves graphics better than ps2. It would be a little nice to have hd too. Just the extra detail making it look nicer.

STOP COMPLANING!!!!, and just look at the fact that you enjoyed your Wii games way much more than your PS3 or XBOX360 games......... Because they have more than 6hrs worth gameplay.

Call of Duty 4 is about 4hrs,...... 4hrs........ 4 PHUCKIN hours for $60 phucking USA phuckin DOLLARS

3.5 phuckin hours if you're really good at it

P H U C K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Explain how I am complaining. I introduced a fact on how the wii could produce hd then agreed with somebody. If I was complaining I would be like why the fuck doesn't my wii have hd. Stupid shit of a console. But am I. The wii is my favorite console btw. I just feel people aren't crediting it enough. So if you are going to talk bs stfu.