By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - how much does old school gaming mean to you? (4 base questions)

So, I was watching the documentary 'the king of kong' (look it up if you've never heard of it) a couple nights ago. It's a really good flick, but it kinda got me thinking. Most gaming before the nes really doesn't mean that much to me. Classics like donkey kong, pac man, dig dug, etc. have never fully appealed to me. Sure, I appreciate the games in terms of what they did for the gaming industry and how they allowed it to grow, but my love for them pretty much ends there. 

The thing is, I still love nes and snes games. Super mario bros 3, TMNT: turtles in time, the adventures of lolo, super punch out, and many others still receive ample helpings of my attention. I was born in 85, so these where the games I grew up with.

My questions for others:

1. If you are a gamer born in the 70s or prior, how do you feel about pac man, space invaders, frogger, etc? Do you still spend time with any of these (or more) titles or have you moved on completely?

2. If you are a gamer born in the 80s, did you spend time with games from the pre nes period? Do you still spend time playing games from the pre saturn/psx/n64 (3D) era?

3. If you are a gamer born in the 90s, the question is a little different. How do you feel about 2D gaming? Did you still grow up with it? Do you perfer to stick primarily to 3D gaming? Have you played a decent number of classic games (super mario bros, sonic the hedgehog, the legend of zelda, contra, tetris, donkey kong, etc)?

4. Parents.... How have you raised your children in terms of gaming? Do you school them on the classics or stick to just the modern stuff?

Around the Network

I can answer question 2, I started at the NES, and have always only really asscoiated with Nintendo and Sony from there, I still go back to play classics on the SNES and above, but not the NES, only game I still will ever play that was on the NES, is Mario.

1. I still play Donkey Kong. Amazing game.

my first system was an Atari, and I loved dig dug, and donkey kong (never liked pac-man though, still don't) I haven't played any of those in a long time (except pac-man ironically). But I'm sure I'd still love them.

I still love 2d and play a ton of it. My virtual console is bursting at the seams, and I have a bunch of emulators on my PC for some systems and games that can't be gotten on virtual console. 3d has it's merits but 2d FTW.

My wife and I don't have any kids, but if we did you can bet your sweet bippy it would have an extremely thorough videogame education. I wouldn't even let it play any 3d games until they were at least 10.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I born in the 90's but i didn't buy a N64 till 1998 so i spend 4 years in 2D gaming, actually a lot of my favorites games were in the SNES:

Megaman X
Super Mario RPG
Donkey Kong Country (1 & 3)
Mario Paint
Killer Instinc
Kirby Dreamland 3
etc

Around the Network

I can answer 3. I'm a late 90's gamer ('97-current) so i never played many 2D games. The games I consider classics comprise of NHL '98, Crash Bandicoot, GTA1, etc

No. 1 - and it's wrong to lump everyone over 30 into this category ... for the record ...

I love Tecmo Bowl on the NES, Double Dribble and Legend of Zelda and NCAA Basketball on the SNES - but the problem is - they don't have HD cables and I have several of the TV inputs with the Wii, HDTV receiver and a system selector which doesn't like composite crap. I pull them out every now and then - but the problem is - I just have too many irons in the fire. When the paper closes, I plan to take 2 weeks off to just veg out.

2. I grew up on 2600 and PC gaming, with PC gaming being significantly dominant even when my brother and I purchased a SNES in '94. It wasn't until the end of '04 that I really became a console gamer.

Due to this, I spend probably about 50% of my gaming time catching up on the console gaming that I missed, primarily SNES games (which is ironic since I owned one).

I've gone back to early 80s gaming a few times, but I must admit, after the 10 minutes of nostalgia. assuming I haven't finished the games already as they are usually pretty short, I tend to be bored of them as they lack any real depth and are excessively repetative.