By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Damn, that's a big laser!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/16/university-of-michigan-creates-most-intense-laser-in-the-univers/

In other news, Sony intends to use this techology to deliver the death blow to HD DVD and Toshiba.  First they will say "All your sales are belong to us!," and then they will strike.

Around the Network

Going a bit far. All the sunlight directed towards the Earth. Pretty cool other wise.

I really don't see the point in this laser, how much power does it require to run?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

"laser contains 300 terawatts of power (or 300 times the capacity of the entire US electricity grid"

Would this be the minimum?

Freespace laser turret tech on star ships closer to reality? ? ? Space exploration to be next?

Around the Network

To blow up Mars obviously! >_>;

"help scientists develop better proton and electron beams for radiation treatment of cancer." That is from the article and is why we need it. This could also lead to major advancements in weaponry,power production,etc. It also could save our asses if a big asteroid/comet/meteor was heading toward us.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

I don't know why, but that made me laugh. <_<;