By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Shares Plummet!

Tagged games:

How many more consecutive years of losses does a company need before it changes its leadership? Is three not enough?

Around the Network

If Iwata isn't fired, he better take another pay cut. He's ruining my favorite company.

osed125 said:

I think you missed the point. Never said that Iwata is better than Kaz because Kaz is worse, that was not the point. Is just a very simple example of what a good strategy and good business planing is vs. something that is not. Could have changed that with different products from different companies.

@bold, how can you be so sure about that. Another CEO would have cut his own salary? secure MH 4? you don't know and I don't know either, and just simple saying "common sense" isn't something you can say when talking about business, because even if something is "obvious"  it doesn't mean you can do said thing at the moment or ever. 

What I said above answers your question, depending on your resources, you might be able to something or not. What is more important for your business? What your shareholders want? etc. Would Iwata be able to turn the Vita around? maybe, maybe not, impossible to say. 

My argument is very clear, Iwata made some very good decisions with the 3DS, and, yes, he was the reason the 3DS made a comeback. Another person could have done it? I don't know and neither do you.

And I'm sticking with what I said. Every CEO could have in Nintendos position turned the 3DS around, Iwata did not make any incredible out of the box decisions that no other CEO could have come up with. He cut his salary, so? That was a purely symbolic act, it didn't do anything for the 3DS or are you going to tell my that Nintendo could only cut the 3DS price because they didn't have to pay that humongous part of Iwatas salary anymore that he cut?

Cutting the price of your console and getting games that will sell on it out is the most basic of the basic, that is all Iwata did and that's why I think he doesn't need to be commended for the 3DS turnaround. Now if he turns around the Wii U then I'll happily congratulate him for that, cause that problem is a whole lot bigger than the 3DS's ever was.

DerNebel said:
osed125 said:

I think you missed the point. Never said that Iwata is better than Kaz because Kaz is worse, that was not the point. Is just a very simple example of what a good strategy and good business planing is vs. something that is not. Could have changed that with different products from different companies.

@bold, how can you be so sure about that. Another CEO would have cut his own salary? secure MH 4? you don't know and I don't know either, and just simple saying "common sense" isn't something you can say when talking about business, because even if something is "obvious"  it doesn't mean you can do said thing at the moment or ever. 

What I said above answers your question, depending on your resources, you might be able to something or not. What is more important for your business? What your shareholders want? etc. Would Iwata be able to turn the Vita around? maybe, maybe not, impossible to say. 

My argument is very clear, Iwata made some very good decisions with the 3DS, and, yes, he was the reason the 3DS made a comeback. Another person could have done it? I don't know and neither do you.

And I'm sticking with what I said. Every CEO could have in Nintendos position turned the 3DS around, Iwata did not make any incredible out of the box decisions that no other CEO could have come up with. He cut his salary, so? That was a purely symbolic act, it didn't do anything for the 3DS or are you going to tell my that Nintendo could only cut the 3DS price because they didn't have to pay that humongous part of Iwatas salary anymore that he cut?

Cutting the price of your console and getting games that will sell on it out is the most basic of the basic, that is all Iwata did and that's why I think he doesn't need to be commended for the 3DS turnaround. Now if he turns around the Wii U then I'll happily congratulate him for that, cause that problem is a whole lot bigger than the 3DS's ever was.

Especially considering how much they overpriced the 3DS to begin with.

DerNebel said:

We would have to agree to disagree then. Business decisions sometimes aren't obvious (and even if they are, it doesn't mean they are always the best options), and they heavily differentiate from person to person. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Figgycal said:

And after the price cut, it was selling at a heavy loss until NSMB 2 came out. This is where the risky business decisions end up paying off in the end.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Honestly I would not touch their stock even now. I think it will go lower and they will lose money again at least for the fiscal year after this one.

They could not make a profit even with Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing (in the West), Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter 4 royalties, etc. and are probably going to be forced to cut the Wii U price again this year (with it selling so poorly they have no choice).

3DS hardware sales look to be showing signs of decline already, so they will probably sell fewer 3DS' next year than this year.

To me that just indicates even if Mario Kart 8 and Smash sell well next year, 2 or 3 big selling games are not enough to lift Nintendo out of bleeding money.

This is going to continue for another year at least IMO.

osed125 said:
Figgycal said:

And after the price cut, it was selling at a heavy loss until NSMB 2 came out. This is where the risky business decisions end up paying off in the end.

If by "selling at a heavy loss" you mean "making profit on each system sold", you are correct. According to Eurogamer- each 3ds costs $101 dollars to make and Nintendo were selling them for $250. They were criminally overpriced because they knew demand was there for the system. There was no risky business descision involved in lowering the price.

Figgycal said:
osed125 said:

If by "selling at a heavy loss" you mean "making profit on each system sold", you are correct. According to Eurogamer- each 3ds costs $101 dollars to make and Nintendo were selling them for $250. They were criminally overpriced because they knew demand was there for the system. There was no risky business descision involved in lowering the price. None of Nintendo's previous consoles were risky. They all rely on making the system cheap and making profit on each unit sold. For whatever reason they went the opposite direction with the Wii U and it hasn't been working out.

That's only taking into consideration how much each part costs. Assembling, marketing, packaging, what the retailers takes, and other stuff aren't in those $101. 

I believe Nintendo was breaking even or taking a very slight profit with the 3DS at launch.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Ouch, that's a massive drop.