By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2013 NPD Thread! - Everything is in the OP!

Gran Turismo 6 is terrible :/

Who decided to make this for the PS3?

Around the Network

Sony should really discontinue the Vita, they didnt announce any big game for it and is already selling sub 100k in the US on its second december

superhippy420 said:
Well here are my personal takeways December's NPD.

- The Wii U is far from dead. 500,000+ sold is higher then I thought Nintendo could sell without Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Donkey Kong, Wii Fit U, Bayonetta, X, and Hyrule Warriors, combined will boost sales, not to mention that Nintendo will no doubt have some big surprise reveals along the way.

- PS4 and Xbone are both selling great in the U.S., especially for at $399 and $499.

- The Vita is done in the US. We all figured sales would be low, but not sub-100k low. Those are Sega Saturn numbers. I have been saying for a while that a GTA on Vita could save it in the U.S. but with sales that low, I see zero chance that Rockstar would use valuable resources of their own just to save Sony's handheld. High Risk, Low Reward....Its just not going to happen.

- Nintendo's focus on 3DS software in the last 2 years has payed off big time. IMO selling as many 3DS consoles as they have is more impressive then the massive PS4/Xbone sales. They have had to deal with the smartphone and tablet markets, as well as a direct competitor in the Vita and will end up selling 75 - 90 million consoles in its lifetime.

- Overall Software numbers for Sony have to be discouraging. Thats where the 3 console makers really make their money, and for Sony's biggest franchise (Gran Turismo) to completely be ignored in the U.S. is bad news. The combination of Killzone and Knack on the PS4, has to be disappointing as well.

We don't have confirmation on Wii U numbers at all unless you have a different source from other people. 500k for a December is still relatively mediocre though. 

3DS sales being down year over year isn't really great either, but I suppose as they are facing an onslaught from the smartphone/tablet revolution it's the new solid. I doubt Nintendo is all that thrilled with that line of reasoning though. 

I called it before about Sony having really poor 1st/2nd party software sales for the second holiday season in a row. Microsoft did much better selling stuff like Forza and Rhyse. 

MANUELF said:
Sony should really discontinue the Vita, they didnt announce any big game for it and is already selling sub 100k in the US on its second december

Nooooooooooo. I want to buy one yet.

ethomaz said:
carlos710 said:
Impressive that the Xbox is destroying the playstation brand despite the much higher price and less years in the market. The US is the biggest market in the world and seems like once again MS will easily take it.

lol

In the real world PS4 owned US in 2013... how about destroying or take it?

I don't even know what to say. Ok, lets all ive in a magical world where the ps4 has more demand than the xone in the US: I shall live in sonyland as well despite how irrational of a place it is.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
MANUELF said:

Nooooooooooo. I want to buy one yet.

Dont worry you will be able to do that and at great prices just like the gamecube, the saturn and the dreamcast

MANUELF said:

The Vita is basically discontinued already for them. If there are 3rd party developers crazy enough to launch a game for it, fine. Otherwise it will be another Playstation Now player.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

carlos710 said:
ethomaz said:
carlos710 said:
Impressive that the Xbox is destroying the playstation brand despite the much higher price and less years in the market. The US is the biggest market in the world and seems like once again MS will easily take it.

lol

In the real world PS4 owned US in 2013... how about destroying or take it?

I don't even know what to say. Ok, lets all ive in a magical world where the ps4 has more demand than the xone in the US: I shall live in sonyland as well despite how irrational of a place it is.

Actually he is right because on the US and the rest of the world Demand for the PS4 is bigger than supply but we still dont know how big is the demand, just like the Wii on its first three years

Soundwave said:

I called it before about Sony having really poor 1st/2nd party software sales for the second holiday season in a row. Microsoft did much better selling stuff like Forza and Rhyse.

Killzone did the same or at least outsold Ryse.

Edit - Fixed.

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

What's so uninviting about the Wii U? It works with every Wii accessorie and gives casuals a touchscreen/DS type controller as well. Everyone and their grandma already has Wiimotes sitting around the house so including it again is just redundant. 

The Wii U could come with any type of controller, there's no point in a person paying $200-$300 to play Just Dance when they can already play it on their existing Wii just fine. 

That's one of the problems with the casual audience is there's little/no incentive to upgrade hardware as the games they want to play, play just fine on the system they already own. 

It's no upgrade to the Wii. There is no better motion controller. It's Nintendo asking people to pay $300 for a new console, because some brats wanted to play Assassin's Creed on a Nintendo console.

Offer a better controller, launch with at least one game to demonstrate that controller. Show that you have more motion-controlled games in the pipeline. Make it the message that you need the new console, because that kind of precision and online features were not possible on the Wii. Naturally, Just Dance isn't going to sell that console, because it's going to be cross-gen. But that's what you have first party software for.

There is no lack of intent to buy new consoles among those consumers, there is a lack of incentive given by Nintendo. The Wii U is so incredibly boring by design that it might as well not exist.

It's funny because I personally feel that the Xbox One and PS4 are boring.  Same features as the old consoles, same games, better graphics.   The Wii was carried by great software. Wii Sports was a hit among casuals, and hardcores secretly loved it too.  It also launched with Twilight Princess which sold almost 7 million lifetime, followed by a steady stream of good software for about 4 years.  The motion controls had alot to do with it because it allowed things like Wii Sports to be made, but there were plenty of games that sold great that did'nt even need it.   Nintendo offers the Wii U Pro Controller already as well.  I am not sure what other kind of remote they could make to boost the console, if that is your idea.