By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - With Bungie’s Destiny etc. coming, PS3 has an impressive and varied library from literally all notable third party developers

I wasn't going to comment within this thread since I think of it as " I love my console" type thread which is just someone opinion. A few people have made some very good points about how there are a number of studios that make notable games that do not appear on the PS systems.

It does seem that when people narrow their perception to one vendor, they seem to ignore good things another vendor has. This is more obvious within this thread based on the op.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
BMaker11 said:
when PS fans say that PS has the most variety, we mean it. MS and Ninty fans can taunt all they want about how Mario or Halo sold a bajillion copies. But I'd have multiple great games/series that don't sell as much then go with a company that throws all their eggs in one basket to make one game/series that sells a bunch.

Yeah, because Nintendo fans can't tout games like Zelda, Wii Sports/Fit/Party, Pokemon, Brain Training, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Sin & Punishment, Excite Truck, Star Fox, Metroid, Smash Bros, Endless Ocean, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Project Zero (AKA Fatal Frame), Pikmin, Professor Layton, Golden Sun, or Nintendogs, all different genres, all top-notch, all present in the last generation, none of them Mario, and that's just first-party (or partially first-party, as in the cases of Project Zero, The Last Story, and Professor Layton).

And of course, they can't tout games like de Blob, Epic Mickey, Sonic Colors, World of Goo, Resident Evil 4, Rock Band/Guitar Hero, Boom Blox, Rune Factory, Bit Trip, Call of Duty, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Muramasa, Goldeneye 007 (best-selling modern version, by the way), Just Dance, Little King's Story, Monster Hunter, Mega Man, No More Heroes, NyxQuest, Okami, Pro Evo Soccer, Cave Story, Rabbids, Lostwinds, Red Steel, Rayman, Harvest Moon, Skylanders, Silent Hill, Trauma Centre/Team, House of the Dead, Zack & Wiki, Toki Tori, Star Wars, Sims/MySims, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Dragon Quest, Tony Hawk, Need for Speed, Madworld, Drawn to Life, LEGO games, The Conduit, and Samurai Warriors, to name but a few.

What non-Sony gamers just have to accept is that, no matter what the thread, the most important thing is to attack non-Sony platforms. Forget about community spirit, this is WAR!

It feels as if you were deeply offended by the fact that someone said something positive about Sony. So he thinks games have more variety on Sony platforms than Nintendo platforms, who cares? Did you really need to bust out a list of every game made on a Nintendo console in order to disprove his own opinion?

Chill, relax, have a drink, the console wars are over, we're not in middle school anymore. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Last gen plataforms line up is so much superior to the next gens one on 2014,

Aielyn said:
BMaker11 said:
No, I think "notable" is defined by the company's reputation, not if they make PS3 games or not. So it's not circular. What 3rd party company hasn't made a PS3 game? Now, would you have heard of this company had you not Googled them in order to find them? If that's the case, they aren't notable. 

Please don't jump into a conversation half way through. At the very least, check to see whether something has been addressed prior to actually making a claim.

As I already pointed out, #1 the developer that makes some of the Harvest Moon games, which is one of the Marvelous internal studios, has not made a game for the PS3. Harvest Moon is a well-known, well-loved franchise, and thus you cannot dismiss them as 'not notable'. And I knew about them long before this thread came up. Natsume also develops games, including some Harvest Moon games, but has not developed any games for PS3 (they've published two, but haven't developed any).

While I would have to google to confirm that various other notable studios have not made PS3 games, they would be studios I already knew.

For instance, #2 Arika, the studio behind the Street Fighter EX games, the Everblue and Endless Ocean games, and Tekken 3D: Prime Edition, and that did the 3D Classics ports of various classic NES games for the 3DS, (note: it isn't first-party or second-party, as, amongst other things, they made Jewelry Master Twinkle for Xbox Live Arcade, Tetris: The Grand Master Ace for Xbox 360, and Super Dragon Ball Z for arcade and PS2), is certainly notable, but hasn't made a PS3 game (yet has made an Xbox 360 game, as noted).

#3 Mistwalker made Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for Xbox 360, and made The Last Story for Wii, plus a few DS, Android, and iOS games. The former three games are all notable, and Mistwalker's CEO is the guy who made the original Final Fantasy. Definitely a notable studio. No PS3 games.

Prope is the new studio of Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic. Has made games for Wii, DS, 3DS, iOS/Android, PSP, and Windows Mobile... but not for PS3.

Treasure made, amongst other things, the Sin & Punishment games, Mischief Makers, Gunstar Heroes, and Ikaruga. They have released games on Xbox Live Arcade, on Wii, DS, 3DS, and PS2, but not on PS3.

#4 ArtePiazza, a developer that played a big role in a lot of the Dragon Quest games, hasn't made a PS3 game.

Neither has #5 Mythic Entertainment, an EA subsidiary that is probably most famous for the Warhammer MMO.

#6 NanaOn-Sha, makers of Parappa the Rapper (perhaps you've heard of it?) and Major Minor's Majestic March has made games for Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360, but not PS3.

#7 iNiS, most notably the makers of Elite Beat Agents, have made games for Xbox 360, PSP, DS, iOS/Android... but not PS3.

And these are just examples of developers that have made games on many platforms. There are developers who only work on handhelds, developers who only make Nintendo games, or Microsoft games, or PC games, or mobile games, despite being third-party and non-affiliated with Nintendo or Microsoft. And if one includes studios that made games for the PS3, but only minor titles that aren't worth mentioning, the list gets bigger. For instance, Next Level Games (only PS3 game was Captain America: Super Soldier).

And I had heard of every one of the developers I just listed (with the exception of ArtePiazza, which I'll admit I ran into while doing the necessary checks).

#1 there is no "internal studio from Marvelous". It's all the same company. It's like trying to separate Square from Enix. Victor Interactive is merged with Marvelous and they're known as "Marvelous Interactive" in 2003 and then they were merged into Marvelous Entertainment. So it's all the same people. And Marvelous Entertainment has made PS3 games

#2 They made Tetris and Jewel Master Twinkle for XBLA...the rest were published by Nintendo. Of course the Nintendo published games aren't gonna be on PS3. So you're gonna base their "notability" on 2 indie games for the previous gen?

#3 So making 3 games makes you big time, right? The DS games were all co-developed, two were phone games, leaving Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Last Story. BD and LO were considered pretty average. Guess they're up in the ranks with Capcom, SE, Konami, etc.... And just because the founder of Final Fantasy runs the company doesn't make it a big deal. Is Valhalla Game Studios a big deal? I mean, Itagaki is the founder of Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden.

#4 never heard of them

#5 a company that makes mostly PC games and moved to Mobile hasn't made console games. Surprise.

#6 When was the last time these guys made a notable game, other than Parappa? Shovelware and an average Kinect game is your basis for picking them?

#7 They're most notable for Elite Beat Agents because that's the only notable game they've made.

Look, I'm not trying to saying that every single 3rd party has to make a game for PS3, otherwise they're just nobodies, but neither did the OP. He just said , but look at your own last paragraph. Mentioning "minor titles that aren't worth mentioning". The majority of the list of developers you mentioned did just that: make minor titles that aren't worth mentioning. So if they make mostly games not worth mentioning, how are they notable? And most of those developers that are not affiliated with Nintendo or Microsoft still had their games published by them. That's a pretty important factor.

And out of the whole post, the only "big time" dev was Mythic Entertainment. The rest were really small studios that don't match up to the likes of Bungie, EA, Activision, SquareEnix, etc. and many (not all) of their games are largely forgettable. Just because they've made a bunch of games doesn't make them "notable". Cat Daddy Games has an extensive list of games....but who the hell are Cat Daddy Games?

Aielyn said:
BMaker11 said:
when PS fans say that PS has the most variety, we mean it. MS and Ninty fans can taunt all they want about how Mario or Halo sold a bajillion copies. But I'd have multiple great games/series that don't sell as much then go with a company that throws all their eggs in one basket to make one game/series that sells a bunch.

Yeah, because Nintendo fans can't tout games like Zelda, Wii Sports/Fit/Party, Pokemon, Brain Training, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Sin & Punishment, Excite Truck, Star Fox, Metroid, Smash Bros, Endless Ocean, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Project Zero (AKA Fatal Frame), Pikmin, Professor Layton, Golden Sun, or Nintendogs, all different genres, all top-notch, all present in the last generation, none of them Mario, and that's just first-party (or partially first-party, as in the cases of Project Zero, The Last Story, and Professor Layton).

And of course, they can't tout games like de Blob, Epic Mickey, Sonic Colors, World of Goo, Resident Evil 4, Rock Band/Guitar Hero, Boom Blox, Rune Factory, Bit Trip, Call of Duty, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Muramasa, Goldeneye 007 (best-selling modern version, by the way), Just Dance, Little King's Story, Monster Hunter, Mega Man, No More Heroes, NyxQuest, Okami, Pro Evo Soccer, Cave Story, Rabbids, Lostwinds, Red Steel, Rayman, Harvest Moon, Skylanders, Silent Hill, Trauma Centre/Team, House of the Dead, Zack & Wiki, Toki Tori, Star Wars, Sims/MySims, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Dragon Quest, Tony Hawk, Need for Speed, Madworld, Drawn to Life, LEGO games, The Conduit, and Samurai Warriors, to name but a few.

What non-Sony gamers just have to accept is that, no matter what the thread, the most important thing is to attack non-Sony platforms. Forget about community spirit, this is WAR!

Take a chill pill, man. Whenever you think Xbox, you think Halo. Whenever you think Nintendo, you think Mario, Zelda, MK, and Smash. But what do you think when you think PlayStation? A plethora of titles. And the counter is always "I would rather play a few great games then have to pay for a bunch of good games" and they back it up with sales. "Halo outsold Infamous, Resistance, and Uncharted combined" for example.  

My post wasn't an attack on non-Sony platforms. I was speaking from experience. You can make a big games' list if you want. Nobody ever said that Nintendo or Microsoft didn't have a game library. But I guarantee you that when you ask someone "what're the best Nintendo games", they aren't gonna say "Excite Truck, Rabbids, and Samurai Warriors". They're gonna say the typical Nintendo games. There are no "typical Sony games". There is no "face of Playstation". GT has sold multiple millions of copies. Uncharted has sold multiple millions of copies. So has God of War. But so much more goes into the PS image than what goes into the Ninty or MS image.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:

Natsume

Arika

Prope

Treasure

ArtePiazza

Mythic Entertainment

NanaOn-Sha

iNiS

Next Level Games

Honestly, none of those 9 developers are notable based on the past home console generation. Some of them didn't even make home console games and the others I've never heard of.. The only (former) notable third party developer that hasn't released games on PS3 is Mistwalker and unfortunately they have been making mobile games since 2011.

I'm not saying every single third party developer in the world (lol, that would be many) have made games for PS3, but imo literally all NOTABLE third party developers have. Cheer up! :) A healthy relationship between third party developers and console manufacturers is good and even crucial for the industry.

OT: Which PS3 games did I miss that you would recommend?

Machiavellian said:
I wasn't going to comment within this thread since I think of it as " I love my console" type thread which is just someone opinion.

Well, it is.. It's a retrospective on the PS3's game library that imo has become quite impressive. Chill..

Mike_L said:
Machiavellian said:
I wasn't going to comment within this thread since I think of it as " I love my console" type thread which is just someone opinion.

Well, it is.. It's a retrospective on the PS3's game library that imo has become quite impressive. Chill..

Whats to chill about, I am making an observation.  This is just another slight of hand, my console pick is better than yours.  It makes assumptions that if a developers isn't developing for the PS3 then they are not notable.  In the end, its just a fanboy thread ment to cause reaction more than just tout the PS3 support.

Machiavellian said:
Mike_L said:
Machiavellian said:

Whats to chill about, I am making an observation.  This is just another slight of hand, my console pick is better than yours.  It makes assumptions that if a developers isn't developing for the PS3 then they are not notable.  In the end, its just a fanboy thread ment to cause reaction more than just tout the PS3 support.

You're the reason why it's causing reaction more than just touting the PS3 support...

Mike_L said:
Machiavellian said:
Mike_L said:
Machiavellian said:

You're the reason why it's causing reaction more than just touting the PS3 support...

You are correct.  I read the op and came to that conclusion.  Meaning that the OP and how they stated their opinion brought me to my conclusion.  So in my opinion the post achieved its goal.