By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo has Begun Development on a Next-Generation Machine

Ehh... I don't really believe things that come from GAF anymore.

The 3DS though has been out for 3 years. The basics for the next handheld would already be on the drawing board.

Around the Network

Do this means it's powerful or not?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:

If it's a handheld I'm guessing something at least slightly more powerful than a Vita at minimum. 

Nintendo is developing a new handheld...

3 years after they launch handheld or home console they start developing a successor, that is their ritual and how they operate.

Wii was launched in 2006 and development of Wii U started in 2009.

Soundwave said:
Pavolink said:

If it's a handheld I'm guessing something at least slightly more powerful than a Vita at minimum. 

It will be inferior in some ways. Surely Nintendo will find a way to do so.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Here's the specific quote from Mr. Iwata:

"This means that if we manage to integrate our platforms successfully, we may in fact be able to make more platforms. At the moment, we only have our current handheld devices and home consoles because if we tried to make more platforms, our development resources would be spread too thinly. The more we can share software across different platforms, the more development resources will be left for something else."

This is from last year and it to me strongly hints at a third Nintendo pillar which is capable of running some of the same games (if not all the same games) as other Nintendo hardware.

This sounds a bit disappointing to me.  The kind of hardware that can be a handheld and a console means they may release a very weak console.  Though, will this hardware work game wise?  I mean, isn't this exact train of though what's hurting the Vita right now (Though I personally disagree with that sentiment, but my thoughts vs reality and I'm not sure what the reality of the situation truly is).  

darkknightkryta said:
Soundwave said:

"This means that if we manage to integrate our platforms successfully, we may in fact be able to make more platforms. At the moment, we only have our current handheld devices and home consoles because if we tried to make more platforms, our development resources would be spread too thinly. The more we can share software across different platforms, the more development resources will be left for something else."

This is from last year and it to me strongly hints at a third Nintendo pillar which is capable of running some of the same games (if not all the same games) as other Nintendo hardware.

This sounds a bit disappointing to me.  The kind of hardware that can be a handheld and a console means they may release a very weak console.  Though, will this hardware work game wise?  I mean, isn't this exact train of though what's hurting the Vita right now (Though I personally disagree with that sentiment, but my thoughts vs reality and I'm not sure what the reality of the situation truly is).  

My suspicion is this will be far more tablet like than Vita like per se. The Vita would be a different story too if it had Mario, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Luigi, Dragon Quest, etc. on it. 

darkknightkryta said:
Soundwave said:

That's not how this works. They want to create hardware that can share the same tools, therefore lower resources for every game.

Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:
Pavolink said:

It will be inferior in some ways. Surely Nintendo will find a way to do so.

Still only one circle pad =)

teigaga said:

Still only one circle pad =)

And not only one, but instead of a stick, a control pad. You have really low standars.