By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why so much Kirby?

Dream_While_Awake said:
snyps said:
didn't iwata program on the original kirby titles? I always thought it was a case of the guy in charge choosing his own franchises to spotlight.

This is the best answer I've seen so far. I forgot that Iwata did Kirby...makes sense. Although, another reason to replace him...

That's not a reason!  You should replace him for expanding the company after cutting his own pay in half.  He should have done like every other person in charge of a company; the opposite!!

Around the Network

I think Kirby games are easy to make. For the 2D platformers they can make them quickly, without spending much, and they sell enough to make a decent profit almost guaranteed. Also, Kirby is a very "versatile" character, like Mario, and so any new gameplay ideas someone has, if not used in a Mario game, often they can and have built Kirby games around new gameplay hooks and nobody bats an eye. If it were "Star Fox Canvas Curse" or "Link Mass Attack" people would probably feel like it wasn't a very good fit. But Kirby is flexible for many types of gameplay. He also appeals to that family audience that Nintendo knows is VERY important for their business.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Because he sucks you in :)

snyps said:
Dream_While_Awake said:
snyps said:
didn't iwata program on the original kirby titles? I always thought it was a case of the guy in charge choosing his own franchises to spotlight.

This is the best answer I've seen so far. I forgot that Iwata did Kirby...makes sense. Although, another reason to replace him...

That's not a reason!  You should replace him for expanding the company after cutting his own pay in half.  He should have done like every other person in charge of a company; the opposite!!

not sure if ironie or stupidity...

Why does Nintendo give Kirby so much attention? They might be trying to expand the franchise, as in, trying to reach a bigger audience to have better sales. About the same thing that happened with FE: Awakening, they gave that game more spotlight and it became the best selling game in the franchise history.

Around the Network
snyps said:

It is true that he has done some good within the business but honestly, he should be trying to cater to all types of gamers and Nintendo fans. Instead of 4+ Kirby's a gen, maybe 2 Kirby games and a Star Fox and F-Zero.

Just saying that I understand Mario sells awesome and people like him a lot but Kirby doesn't have that kind of selling ability. Therefor, while he shouldn't be completely ignored, he should move over and let some others return.

Everybody saying "because it's cheap to make": That's a good answer and is true.

I have nothing against Kirby (although he isn't my favorite) but was just wondering why he gets so many games while many of their series get abandoned for years at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zzp3eZJZaE

This new Kirby game looks much better than the 2D Mario platformers. Easier sure, but better.

Not sure, but Kirby has never really been a favorite of mine. Its gameplay is lacking if you ask me.

I like Kirby so I have no problem.