By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Legislate the usage of the word "troll"

RolStoppable said:
axumblade said:

I'm trying  to listen out a little more to the community in regards to bans as well. While not every case of a ban is discussed in a larger group, we do sometimes try to discuss them first. If there is anything specific that anybody feels needs addressed, please feel free to send me a message. I'm trying to be a bit more open to listening to other users complaints and criticisms. 

I'm having difficulty finding an instance that deviates from the progressive mod system on his profile. Are you sure it was him? According to his page, he works his way up to about 7-10 day bans, behaves for a while and then the bans seem to start over. 

Yes, it was him. The mod was Smeags. Wasn't that long ago.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I agree 100,000%!!! People should be a able to say any word on here (Even swear words) as long as it isn't excessive or personally insulting. For instance:

OK: "That's ret@rded! F*ck you!"

Not OK: "What's your address?! I'm gonna find you and f*ck you and your family up!"

We are all big kids here. No one should get upset for being called a poopyface...

think-man said:
But then you get users calling people trolls for legitimate posts, like when a certain user called me and seece a troll for saying that the WiiU wouldn't reach 10 million by the end of this year. That user may or may not be attached to my sig.

Lot of things to say about dem predictions...

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I used to roll my eyes every time Rol said he wanted to be a mod, but now I actually think he should be one.

RolStoppable said:
miz1q2w3e said:
I used to roll my eyes every time Rol said he wanted to be a mod, but now I actually think he should be one.

Wow, nice to learn what people really think.

I didn't mean it in a bad way.

I used to imagine old Rol as a mod, seizing power, banning everyone...etc.

I feel old.

Around the Network

It is a slippery slope and some people may have a different criteria of what a troll is, so it can't end well. Nor do people who say the word, actually read the terms and conditions.

Hell in a couple years when PS4 really takes off and the notion of talking positive about WiiU/X1 at PS4's expense will be generally viewed as a serious crime among fans and those people will be called trolls, even if they present a good front.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

miz1q2w3e said:

I think that's a joke, he really doesn't want to. If he becomes a mod and keeps his posting style, lots of users would complain and put a lot of pressure on the mod team. On the other hand, if he changes he would get bored, plus the site would lose more than gain and it wouldn't be the same.

Of course he can be an excellent mod if he wants to, as he can see other's intentions from a mile away.

miz1q2w3e said:

after this bombshell, i suddenly fear this is a joke thread and totally missed the joke

ulterior motive

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

"some people may have a different criteria of what a troll is"

Really?. I highly doubt there is a large population on this site that would give a definition of the term troll that vastly differs from the norm.

A troll is :
1. Anybody who actively decides to derail threads and rile people in unconstructive ways
2. Those who ride the Sonic sucks banwagon
3. Those who claim JRPG's are doing fine
4. Anybody who say's Wii U is last gen console

I find it quite cut and dry when deciphering if somebody is being a troll vs just not agreeing with the norm

tl;dr
I think the reason we can't call people trolls is because it's too blunt and to the point. If we could shut people down by just calling them trolls then the ridiculous back and forth discussions would never happen and you wouldn't have threads 300 plus pages long with people earnestly trying to debate trolled topics, & I'm sure you've noticed the high revenue generating video advertisements that run on the forum pages. I'd guess that those ads are generating the majority of this sites income at the moment. If the trolls don't get the chance to bait people into endless back and forth VGchartz doesn't get it's ad revenue. Simple as that.
Guess I'll be permanence now.