By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My question to VGChartz semi-lurkers.....

kirby007 said:

Genius!

It's true too often :P I see it everywhere on here with people blindly defending something turning every negative thing about something into some positive spin. Sometimes I wonder if people are getting paid, secretly slipped in Public representatives told to spin every forum comment anyway you can even if it's bullshit. If that doesn't work Ad hominem everything.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Around the Network
soulsamurai said:
kirby007 said:

Genius!

It's true too often :P I see it everywhere on here with people blindly defending something turning every negative thing about something into some positive spin. Sometimes I wonder if people are getting paid, secretly slipped in Public representatives told to spin every forum comment anyway you can even if it's bullshit. If that doesn't work Ad hominem everything.

I know what you mean, I try to limit myself towards issues I really care about, but when someone acts like you describe I must and will reply

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I have a life and only contribute where im needed

Pristine20 said:
Alfred909 said:
Aloha,

I guess I am a lurker as well. I am an anthropologist who studies videogame culture. I am sure you have noticed how threads get killed. Specific people who want to be right more than have a discussion begin to post, more and more, to the point that they drown out anyone enjoying the discussion. As the discussion begins to break away, anyone still wanting to discuss ends up getting shriller, and shriller. If someone decides to quit posting the negative posters consider it a win. In the end, it is just them on the thread, congratulating each other. This thread arc tends to last 20 to 30 pages. There are exceptions like the John Lucas thread, with nearly 300 pages, but that is because some of the discussers are willing to write out 30 page retorts to each other. Most of the other commentors have left or gone shrill.

This is really sad since the use of numbers could have an interesting discussion. PSX sold 100 million systems, but its top selling game was 4 million. PS2 was the same with 160 million systems, but the top selling game was 18 million. Thats a ton to parse through, and open up a discussion about what is going on. Heck, looking at the sales numbers vs how we think it happened for the SNES vs Genesis discussion would be amazing. I'm not about to start those discussions though because of the problems you have.

Are you sure your assessment of the psx software sales is correct? Last I heard, FFVII for one sold almost 10 mil and none of the FFs on that console fell below 7 mil.

True, I made a mistake in the numbers, and even corrected it when another person brought it up. It still has problems. As a PSX owner, I bought Final Fantasy VII and VIII. I can reasonably assume that if I see the sales numbers for FF8, I can know that those who bought it also bought FF7. I can also assume that it was less than those who bought FF7. I can then assume that most RPG's bought are still within that FF7 purchaser amount. In other words, yes, PSX has a lot of games that sold well, but it does not add up to 100 million sales. To find out if the assumption is true requires going through, game by game and asking -are the buyers of this game represented by the sales numbers of another game? It is long, tedious, and prone to flame wars.

I have brought it up on other forums, and ended up with the same results, flame wars and no answer. If you want to message me and discuss it further, I would love to, but lets keep the comments on this section about why we don't post often.

Darth Tigris said:
Mirson said:

I took about a year break (maybe more) from VGChartz, and joined other forums like Neogaf and GameSpot. At Neogaf, you can actually have a good discussion about anything, as well as GameSpot (before the redesign). The GameSpot redesign is mainly the reason why I'm back here. This site has definitely lost its charm, and it gets repetitive & boring very fast - not to mention the amount of fanboy/doom threads filling up the front page. I avoid them altogether, but it doesn't send a good message to potential newcomers. Also even when a decent discussion is going on, it ultimately gets derailed.

One of the big things I disliked about VGChartz was the removal of the database; improving the game's pages gave me something to do while browsing the forum. Without it, I got bored of the forums incredibly fast. Separating gamrreview and removing gamrfeed are also a few things I disliked as they would also keep me occupied while I waited for more forum posts. The site feels very stripped back now since there's less content. Also those redundant nation threads take away some of the forum activity since most of the video game news get posted there. Why have a PlayStation only thread when we have a Sony forum? Same with Nintendo & MS. They're cramming one entire subforum into a single thread.

Anyways with that said, I would post a little bit more if there was a mobile version; posting via a smartphone sucks, so I have to wait until I get home and turn on my computer.

Neogaf?  Really?  I completely lurk there if I visit at all.  I went through a lot to be a part of that community and I was treated far worse there than I ever was here.  A mod or admin altered my tagline to something insulting to me and I had never seen that before.  When I brought it up to get it changed, basically I was told to justify why it should be.  I hadn't posted since and that was probably over six months ago.  It's one of the best examples of a mob bullying mentality that can be found on the internet lately and it's beyond fixing now.  

In some ways I feel like there are some that wish this was more like Neogaf, and that's a big part of the problem ...

In terms of actual game discussion, Neogaf is great especially when discussion niche games. I was able to talk about the Yakuza & SMT games there unlike anywhere else. I haven't seen much specific game discussion here; the official threads die pretty fast.

But I agree with the mod bullying. Posting there was kind of intimidating at first, but I just stuck to a few game threads and kept a low profile.

Around the Network

A combination of being too busy/ lazy to post. There have always been good and bad threads, although I seem to remember more "good" threads back in the day. I still read through threads from time to time, but unless NintendoPie sends me links of threads to post in, I don't really bother too much. :P

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Mirson said:
Darth Tigris said:

Neogaf?  Really?  I completely lurk there if I visit at all.  I went through a lot to be a part of that community and I was treated far worse there than I ever was here.  A mod or admin altered my tagline to something insulting to me and I had never seen that before.  When I brought it up to get it changed, basically I was told to justify why it should be.  I hadn't posted since and that was probably over six months ago.  It's one of the best examples of a mob bullying mentality that can be found on the internet lately and it's beyond fixing now.  

In some ways I feel like there are some that wish this was more like Neogaf, and that's a big part of the problem ...

In terms of actual game discussion, Neogaf is great especially when discussion niche games. I was able to talk about the Yakuza & SMT games there unlike anywhere else. I haven't seen much specific game discussion here; the official threads die pretty fast.

But I agree with the mod bullying. Posting there was kind of intimidating at first, but I just stuck to a few game threads and kept a low profile.

Those are both PS games.  You can do that with those there.  If it's on a Nintendo or Xbox console though they just will have none of that.  Same happens with official threads here unfortunately, except for the Nation threads.  Those are the closest this community has to an oasis ...

Neogaf's off topic can be a lot of fun though, much more so than here.  I have a pretty wide set of interest, so talking movies, tv shows, comics, tech (though that can get really fanboyee too), food and general silly stuff can be good.  I just saw a thread over there I kinda wanted to participate in about how much winter sucks.  That stuff is cool, but the gaming side is beyond saving.

And, as I said, the way some here are determined to be makes me feel like they want to bring the worst tendencies of that community to this one.  So I lurk yeah/Just keep it on the down low/Said nobody is supposed to know/So I lurk yeah/'Cause they don't know what I do/And no attention goes to show/Oh so I lurk

There is a solution, should anyone want to try one. You (we) can create a "corner" in the forum where all the people who want to discuss and behave like civilised beings can do so.

It can be a sub forum, or - if the mods don't agree - a new "nation" thread. There, all the people who feel free of fanboy sentiments can discuss the preferred topics.

Should any "negative" person enters a trolls it, the "report" button must be set in direct use. In addition, the members of this "sub forum" will show the way out to this individuals by shunning them off the conversation. By not responding. By not taking the bait.

It can be done.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Because I'm a socially awkward penguin online. T_T

I stopped posting for a while because this site tends to bring out the worst in you.