By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Vote for the Game of the Generation (Updated Daily)

bugrimmar said:
Cheddarchet said:
Since voting for DS and PSP games is now allowed, any chance I could change my vote from Lost Odyssey to The World Ends with You? For me, that was definitely the best game of the last generation.

Do you really want to do that? Formatting is a bitch.

Eh, if it's a hassle, then no, it's fine. I still liked Lost Odyssey quite a bit, so I'm not exactly sad voting for it.

Hmm

Around the Network

Skyrim is a fun RPG elevated though its unusually high attention to detail.

But my GOTG is Xenoblade Chronicles, which tackles various RPGs mechanics in ways that left me thinking "why hasn't anyone done this yet?"

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:

But my GOTG is Xenoblade Chronicles, which tackles various RPGs mechanics in ways that left me thinking "why hasn't anyone done this yet?"

You fool. Skyrim > Xenoblade and all other rpgs.

bugrimmar said:
F0X said:

I have some pretty solid reasons to prefer Xenoblade. :/ But they're both great RPGs, and extremely different from each other.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
bugrimmar said:
F0X said:

I have some pretty solid reasons to prefer Xenoblade. :/ But they're both great RPGs, and extremely different from each other.

Whatever your reasons are, they are probably useless, listless, and foolish.

>< I'm too biased.

Around the Network

Now that I've given the topic more thought, I think my vote goes to Dark Souls. On one end, Dark Souls is a very traditional game, utilizing philosophies like elements of the "Metroidvania" approach (e.g., interconnected world that you unravel as you progress, shortcuts/workarounds that help to break sequences, player progression, etc.). In addition, From Software goes against modern gaming by offering a challenging experience with little hand-holding.

At the same time, the game is also very forward-thinking by going its own direction with online play, such as a move towards incidental multiplayer (e.g., random messages, ghosts, limited access to summoning/invasions, etc.) instead of the more popular planned multiplayer, such as co-op lobbies. The game manages to be both a single-player and multiplayer experience at the same time, whereas most other games are usually either one or the other.

Finally, underneath all of the game play mechanics, Dark Souls is a very artistic game. From its haunting atmosphere, well-placed spacing between ambient sound and a powerful soundtrack, and minimalist storytelling, Dark Souls is a game that encourages players to formulate their own subjective experiences about the game's world and story, rather than relying on a ton of dialogue, codices, and so on.

It's a shame that Demon's Souls seems to be forgotten, because it laid the foundation for Dark Souls, as well as excelling in some areas over its successor. The world design and ambitious covenant design are what slightly push Dark Souls over Demon's Souls for me, but both games are at the top of my list for the generation. Nevertheless, there were so many great games this generation that excelled in other ways that still makes it difficult for me to confidently say my vote.

arcelonious said:

Now that I've given the topic more thought, I think my vote goes to Dark Souls. On one end, Dark Souls is a very traditional game, utilizing philosophies like elements of the "Metroidvania" approach (e.g., interconnected world that you unravel as you progress, shortcuts/workarounds that help to break sequences, player progression, etc.). In addition, From Software goes against modern gaming by offering a challenging experience with little hand-holding.

At the same time, the game is also very forward-thinking by going its own direction with online play, such as a move towards incidental multiplayer (e.g., random messages, ghosts, limited access to summoning/invasions, etc.) instead of the more popular planned multiplayer, such as co-op lobbies. The game manages to be both a single-player and multiplayer experience at the same time, whereas most other games are usually either one or the other.

Finally, underneath all of the game play mechanics, Dark Souls is a very artistic game. From its haunting atmosphere, well-placed spacing between ambient sound and a powerful soundtrack, and minimalist storytelling, Dark Souls is a game that encourages players to formulate their own subjective experiences about the game's world and story, rather than relying on a ton of dialogue, codices, and so on.

It's a shame that Demon's Souls seems to be forgotten, because it laid the foundation for Dark Souls, as well as excelling in some areas over its successor. The world design and ambitious covenant design are what slightly push Dark Souls over Demon's Souls for me, but both games are at the top of my list for the generation. Nevertheless, there were so many great games this generation that excelled in other ways that still makes it difficult for me to confidently say my vote.

you forgot to mention forced repetition. seriously, i don't get the appeal of this.

Xenoblade Chronicles

dsage01 said:
bugrimmar said:
dsage01 said:
This thread is just pure console war now...WTF? I'm sure the author had great intentions but now it got all messed up

I wouldn't call it messed up. I think what's happening here is that all those people who liked all action games  Sony Games in general picked their best among all the choices, and TLOU came up as that choice. On the other side of the fence, all those people who liked platformers Nintendo games and mario picked between Galaxy and Galaxy 2, and decided that Galaxy was better because it was more original.

I don't see any problem here. It's a reflection of what people like.

Fixed it.

maybe you're just a little bit paranoid.