By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bruceongames: SSBB will not be a big game for 2008

___O_o______ said:
i'm not talking about brawl sales

i'm talking about the 40 million + LTD predictions everyone is spouting

I tell you what, let's have a one month ban bet that the Wii will pass 40 million this year. Heck, I'll even give you 5 extra million, so let's make it 45 million. Wanna bet?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I blame Wii Fit

Press release, Dodengames:

Whilst only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo machines it is apparent that non-games sell even better on the gimmicky Wii. All indications point to it being a fad. Remember, Gamecube started well at first but faltered. The same thing is happening with the Wii evidenced by the lack of third party support.

It is coming too late but some people are starting to wise up to the way Nintendo milks profits with the inferior Wii hardware, the technological equivalent of two Gamecubes taped together. One has to wonder what will happen when people get tired of Wii Sports. The party won't last forever, and unfortunately, the Wii is mothing more than a party machine.

Nintendo has abandoned the hardcore gamer. Look at the horrible sales in Japan of a hardcore title like No More Heroes compared to the casual title, Super Smash Brothers Brawl. In the end this will hasten the inevitable crash of the video gaming industry. When the day is over and all is said and done Nintendo will have nobody but themselves to blame for the downfall of hardcore video gaming (although they will probably blame Wii Fit).

veiam said:
Gamerace said:
I agree with him... to an extent. SSBB will be too frantic a game for many new gamers. Heck, I sometimes struggle with Mario Strikers frantic energy, and my daughter certainly won't touch that game (although she does play SSBM - poorly). It is easy to learn, and some, as bruceongames acknowledges, new gamers will get it, but I think a large portion of new gamers will just ignore it. To that I agree.

However, I think a lot of gamers own Wiis as a second console (or first) and they will all get it, and a lot of hold-outs will finally cave in and get a Wii as well. I think the % of 2 console owners this gen will be very high with a lot of hobby gamers as he puts it owning Wii60 or PSWii. Therefore, I disagree sales will be limited in any way.

I think the one thing we all agree on is the Wii is the best system to play with friends over, and SSBB definately fits the bill for that. It will be a major seller.

The only time someone will be intimidated by the game is if they are jsut learning but start paying against some one good.A number of the Wii's owners have just bought their systems and have never played anything before. So none of them are even good at melee, they basically start at 0. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but playing with your kids this game would be helluva fun time. Everyone would screw up and not know what to do etc. Perfect family fun if you ask me.

Your point is well made, and both I and the author point out some new gamers will get it.  But I don't see women getting a Wii for WiiFit buying into Brawl.  And if a new gamers first impression of the game is watching kids playing the demo or onlive videos, that'll likely turn them off as they won't be able to figure out what's happening.  It simply won't appeal to everyone, no game does, and due to the casual nature of Wii that group that won't care for it would be bigger than on PS3 or 360. 

On the flip side, it's designed to appeal more to the casual than a lot of games on PS360.  But we agree, irregardless, it will be a major seller. 

I love how they categorize Brawl as just a casual game. Like...Chicken Shoot and Brawl are identical eh?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

@fksumot lol

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Emmitt2222 said:
Wow, OP I wished you showed the whole article because it goes on with increased stupidity.

"Another thing against SSBB is that there are a lot more HD consoles (Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony Playstation PS3) in the world than there are Wiis. And most HD console owners are gamers. So gamers games brought out on both HD consoles have the potential to massively outsell SSBB, even if they are not as good as games. GTA IV will sell several times as many as SSBB. And by the end of the year there will be many HD titles that feature on the annual charts ahead of SSBB."

21.5 Wii's to 26.5 HD consoles, with that gap closing every single week. I would not consider that a huge advantage for "HD consoles". This whole paragraph just reeks of old arguments and Wii Bingo.

I love how he ignores the counter reality.  GTA was such a huge hit because it appealed to casuals too.  And GTA IV will lose a TON of sells because: A) PS360 are still to expensive for the masses. B) The more photo realistic violence in GTA IV will turn off the casual crowd.

If SSBB will suffer because Wii is too casual, then GTA IV will suffer just the same because the HD consoles are not casual enough.  This guys view is really myopic.

damkira said:
Soriku said:
lulz. Can you give me a link to Bruceongames' blog or whatever?

Sure, its http://www.bruceongames.com/ I didn't post it in the first message because the blog owner was posting ads for it last week and I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to promote the website.

Well this is America, everyone is entitled to their opinions, regardless of how idiotic it seems.

Did he give a criterion on how well games need to sell under his view of things?

If brawl sold 6 million in the US in 2008, would that qualify?  How about 5 million, or 4 million?

An undefinable criterion for an undefendable posistion spewed out as real truth.  Good for him.

Its not what people say that is offensive, it is how we react to it that determines offense or not- REBT theory of Albert Ellis.

Competing in online FPS since 1999.

Currently own a supreme gaming PC playing CoD4

Currently own a Wii with Mario Party 8, Resident Evil 4, Trauma Center: New Blood, Wii play, Mario Strikers Charged, and Wii sports. Looking forward to Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Http://www.onlinebrawlcommunity.com    Online Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament Series!  Feel free to sign up and chat with fellow smashers using our forums.  Casual competitions (i.e. HomeRun Contest) to come soon!

And by the end of the year there will be many HD titles that feature on the annual charts ahead of SSBB

Ouch.

I didn't read the whole thread, but let's remember (for those of us who were here) when this idiot was a member of VGC. He's almost as big of a PS3 fanboy as Crazzyman. The only difference is that he can formulate sentences

I like how there are "many" more HD consoles than Wiis, when put together they they outnumber Wii by 5 million. Also "The gap is always shrinking?" That kid fails at life, and that's that.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."