By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us Winning Game of the Year is Disappointing (To Me Atleast)

Tagged games:

I don't understand all of the love for GTA V. I have it and it's a great game. But when it comes down to it it's just another GTA game. We've been playing this same game since 1997. It's a ton of fun but game of the year? I don't see it.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I agree. Had they only replaced the ability to shoot stuff with the ability to jump over stuff, then it would have been GOTY material. Shooting is so over-done. Jumping? That's Next gen.

Forget jumping. They should have just given Joel a cat suit.

DucksUnlimited said:
pokoko said:
I agree. Had they only replaced the ability to shoot stuff with the ability to jump over stuff, then it would have been GOTY material. Shooting is so over-done. Jumping? That's Next gen.

Forget jumping. They should have just given Joel a cat suit.

Forget Joel. You should've just played as a cat.

On topic, I personally agree. I didn't think the gameplay was anything outstanding, and I never got as immersed in it in the same way I have games that I would consider "best of" a generation (Metroid Prime, Okami, Majora's Mask). Some people thought it was great though, so hey. At least it isn't CoD winning game of the year.

xJbownagex said:

The Last of Us is a great game, definetly one of the better ones this year, but there isn't much in it that we haven't seen before.

I disagree but i get your point.

People seem to get mad when I say my games of the year are Super Mario 3D World, GTA V, and A Link Between Worlds. 

Now im confused...

ps3-sales! said:
No offence, but judging by your previous posts, pic, and sig you might be a bit Nintendo-biased...

If you don't like a game, that's cool. But IMO, the greatest strength of TLoU is indeed the immersion factor. The way it places you into it's universe; which you somehow think is a weakness of the game.

GTA5 was great, but expected and familiar. SM3DW was also great, but there really isn't a story there and the gameplay can be found in 3D land on the 3DS (although obviously not as big). Have not placed Link Between Worlds, so I can't really be unbiased with that... But it's a remake of an 80's game that was very popular; so might have some biased fans who are factoring in the nostolgia effect.

Just my opinion, but TLoU is not only the best of 2013 (although not easily), but one of the best games of all time. It made me cry. I've never cried before playing a game. That's crazy.

I agree with most of the stuff you said but that portion really mad me go WTF. In terms of expectations GTA V was crazy hyped and people were expecting it to be the best game of all time before it released..it was the TDKR of the gaming industry in terms of expecations and I had made a post before the game came out that TLOU will be better and I got trampled on. Now GTA V and TLOU are both my favourite games of all time (GTA V being first). But in no way was it familar in terms og gameplay, storyline, or really anything other than some of the typical GTA missions, stealing cars etc. If you don't mind me asking, have you actually played the game?

Around the Network
boogie2988 said:
the story makes a good game amazing..zelda is just like another zelda pokemon is just like another pokemon halo is just like another halo cod is like another cod gta V is like another GTA.. the last of us was put out there with no other game befour it and they got perfect on the story.

WTF are you trying to say?

dsage01 said:
boogie2988 said:
the story makes a good game amazing..zelda is just like another zelda pokemon is just like another pokemon halo is just like another halo cod is like another cod gta V is like another GTA.. the last of us was put out there with no other game befour it and they got perfect on the story.

WTF are you trying to say?

LOL your response is too perfect. I cannot comprehend the point here.

It's another game in a trend this generation that puts presentation and cinematics above gameplay. They are great games to watch, pretty meh games to play. Last of Us gets a lot of praise for the SP but I honestly cannot find a single thing about the SP that stood out to me from a gameplay perspective. The combat was predictable due to lazy level design, the AI was a complete joke, the immersion was non-existent to me thanks to invincible/invisible AI partners. The zombies were crap, and the survival aspect was way overblown as supplies were never an issue unless you suck at the game, and any time you die you just load back up from right before death.

MP on the other hand was amazing. Small team, tactical gameplay where stealth could be just as or more important than firepower depending on your build and play style. It is in my top 5 of the year just for the MP.

Sigh, and to me Mario Galaxy was just another platformer. Such a superficial view of a game and a genre. All shooters are the same. 

J_Allard said:
It's another game in a trend this generation that puts presentation and cinematics above gameplay. They are great games to watch, pretty meh games to play. Last of Us gets a lot of praise for the SP but I honestly cannot find a single thing about the SP that stood out to me from a gameplay perspective. The combat was predictable due to lazy level design, the AI was a complete joke, the immersion was non-existent to me thanks to invincible/invisible AI partners. The zombies were crap, and the survival aspect was way overblown as supplies were never an issue unless you suck at the game, and any time you die you just load back up from right before death.

MP on the other hand was amazing. Small team, tactical gameplay where stealth could be just as or more important than firepower depending on your build and play style. It is in my top 5 of the year just for the MP.

For you to appreciate this game you need to imagine it's exclusive to Xbox. See now it's game of the generation for you ;)