By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us Winning Game of the Year is Disappointing (To Me Atleast)

Tagged games:

Anfebious said:
ps3-sales! said:

GTA5 was great, but expected and familiar. SM3DW was also great, but there really isn't a story there and the gameplay can be found in 3D land on the 3DS (although obviously not as big). Have not placed Link Between Worlds, so I can't really be unbiased with that... But it's a remake of an 80's game that was very popular; so might have some biased fans who are factoring in the nostolgia effect.

A Link Between Worlds is not a remake of A Link to the Past! It's actually a new game on the same world. Even the dungeons are different. It's really familiar though but it's not a remake!

I stand corrected. Ironically, that is the first game I will get when I get my 3ds.  So I can't really say the whole "It's not on the same level as TLoU" because I haven't played it. So without sounding biased, it's not on the same level as TLoU.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
Anfebious said:
ps3-sales! said:

GTA5 was great, but expected and familiar. SM3DW was also great, but there really isn't a story there and the gameplay can be found in 3D land on the 3DS (although obviously not as big). Have not placed Link Between Worlds, so I can't really be unbiased with that... But it's a remake of an 80's game that was very popular; so might have some biased fans who are factoring in the nostolgia effect.

A Link Between Worlds is not a remake of A Link to the Past! It's actually a new game on the same world. Even the dungeons are different. It's really familiar though but it's not a remake!

I stand corrected. Ironically, that is the first game I will get when I get my 3ds.  So I can't really say the whole "It's not on the same level as TLoU" because I haven't played it. So without sounding biased, it's not on the same level as TLoU.

I'm sure you will like ALBW but between those two and judging the impact TLOU had on you. I'm pretty sure you will find TLOU a lot better. Still ALBW is a really good game, you won't regret getting it that's for sure.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

xJbownagex said:

The Last of Us is a great game, definetly one of the better ones this year, but there isn't much in it that we haven't seen before.

People seem to get mad when I say my games of the year are Super Mario 3D World, GTA V, and A Link Between Worlds. 

And what exactly did those 3 games do that hasn't been seen before?

Ones a platformer which has been done hundreds if not thousands of times. Another is an open world game which has been done enough during the 7th generation, it had some neat set pieces and switching between characters was cool otherwise gameplay was the similar to 4 and multiplayer was awful. 

Can't comment on ALBW for I haven't played it.

Otherwise not knocking your opinion, were not all going to agree on the same game for GOTY.

Anfebious said:
ps3-sales! said:

So, basically, the OP complains about the fact TLOU is yet an other "zombie" game while praising other games that are also "yet an other one of those".
ALBW is yet an other Zelda game with the same enemies, same core design... Super Mario 3D World is yet an other Mario game, with the same jumping, the same enemies, the same core design, and GTA5 is again yet an other GTA game for all the same reasons...

I mean, really, it's all in the little details and level design. All of these games may be similar to other games that came before them, but the way they were executed is what makes them shine.

All I get from the OP is nothing more than applied double standards and a bias that was already obvious.

FlamingWeazel said:
binary solo said:
Winning GOTY where? Certainly didn't win here, didn't even with the PS3 GOTY. It's won on some game sites, but plenty of other games have won GOTY's. I wouldn't even say it's dominated GOTY. Seems that GTAV, LBTW and SM3DW are getting plenty of love here.

So what you are saying is that TLOU winning even one GOTY is disappointing?

And TLOU isn't a shooter. You can make it through entire levels doing only stealth or melee take downs (with the occasional bomb or molotov thrown in for good measure), or sneak past all the enemy without having to kill one. Shooting is an element of TLOU but stealth is far more important. The harder the difficulty setting the more you need to stealth, because ammo is very hard to come by on high difficulty. So to say just "another shooter" suggests you don't really know the game at all.

?? TLOU dominated GOTY awards everywhere.............................it deserves it too.

Saying TLOU is just another shooter shows OP never touched tlou, its the furthest thing froma shooter.

Saying gameplay is "Ladder, plank, raft is simply pure ignorance.

Well I must say a few things.

1. I have played it dude lol. It has mechanics that are similar to the likes of a shooter, actually it has mechanics more or less identical to the Uncharted games. They are expanded upon of course, implementing more stealth elements. I think my main problem is poor wording. Calling it "another shooter" was a bad choice of words. It was a game that has shooter elements and basic third person action title elements (ex. Standing behind them, pressing a button, and taking them out/hostage.)

2. This is also something I made an issue with. The game, obviously, can't be summed up as ladder, plank, raft, however it is something that is often implimented into the level design.

Sorry, I wrote the thread on my phone so I wasn't exactly looking to explain a whole lot. I hope you can understand my reasoning now. And if you can't, hey, opinions lol.

Around the Network

I agree. Had they only replaced the ability to shoot stuff with the ability to jump over stuff, then it would have been GOTY material. Shooting is so over-done. Jumping? That's Next Gen.

FlamingWeazel said:
binary solo said:
Winning GOTY where? Certainly didn't win here, didn't even with the PS3 GOTY. It's won on some game sites, but plenty of other games have won GOTY's. I wouldn't even say it's dominated GOTY. Seems that GTAV, LBTW and SM3DW are getting plenty of love here.

So what you are saying is that TLOU winning even one GOTY is disappointing?

And TLOU isn't a shooter. You can make it through entire levels doing only stealth or melee take downs (with the occasional bomb or molotov thrown in for good measure), or sneak past all the enemy without having to kill one. Shooting is an element of TLOU but stealth is far more important. The harder the difficulty setting the more you need to stealth, because ammo is very hard to come by on high difficulty. So to say just "another shooter" suggests you don't really know the game at all.

?? TLOU dominated GOTY awards everywhere.............................it deserves it too.

Saying TLOU is just another shooter shows OP never touched tlou, its the furthest thing froma shooter.

Saying gameplay is "Ladder, plank, raft is simply pure ignorance.

Oh, I hadn't noticed sorry. The only places I've seen GOTYs the honours have been evenly shared between the games I listed and TLOU.

Anyway, this is the only GOTY I find in any way ineteresting even if I don't totally agree with the lists http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8642-Top-5-Games-of-2013, TLOU almost made it into the top 5. But most notably, GTAV, LBTW, SM3DW didn't even get a look in.  Bioshock Infinite was the winner, and by all accounts a very deserving one too.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

It's truly ironic that you describe the TLOU saying "there isn't much in it that we haven't seen before" yet your choices for GOTY are "Super Mario 3D World, GTA V, and A Link Between Worlds"...all games I could apply the very same phrase to describe.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

the story makes a good game amazing..zelda is just like another zelda pokemon is just like another pokemon halo is just like another halo cod is like another cod gta V is like another GTA.. the last of us was put out there with no other game befour it and they got perfect on the story.

gta 5 sucked though