By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Seriously Why Doesn't Microsoft Just Buy Sony?

How did Sony get so much debt?

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
It would be a terrible investment for MS.

Even if such a colossally stupid decision was approved by the MS board of directors, it would not be approved by the Sony board of directors. MS would have to make a bid that far exceeds the current market cap, raising SNE stock prices while lowering MSFT. Even assuming the transfer of the company is approved, MSFT has now assumed all of SNE debts.

As it's been said before, SNE would probably part off segments of its business before any of this hypothetical buy out would happen.

The OP is probably only thinking in terms of MS acquiring Sony to effectively kill the Playstation brand under the assumption that all the marbles would go to MS. Very simplistic thinking.

Lastly, there would very likely be an antitrust issue if MS dissolved the PS brand.

Exactly, OP makes it seem like buying a conglomerate the size of sony as a simple task. Sony may have had hard financial times but are still a massive company.

Sony is not for sale, as simple as that.

I just realised something else just now Sony has about 17 Billion but let's look at there past history in 2011 Sony's PS3 got hacked with the PSN also going down for Sony to fix. I read an article back then saying Sony spends 24 Billion dollars to re make an fix the PSN from getting hacked witch means Sony lost well over about 60% of there money to stop a wholes

Then when I Phone got hacked a few years before the PSN hack, Apple that is like 1000 times larger company than Somy did not fix and stop the I phone from getting hacked.

Were as Sony did. Also people still refuse to buy some of ther products are actually very good. That is also a great example of a compay that takes the consumers side and make the consumers happy. 😀

I don't think there are many compares out there that are like Sony anyways and if M$ dose this which I think Sony will refuse then all big bad co-operations will be incharged like Google, M$ & even someone like Apple.

Then that also mean you don't get that Japanese technology or inovation that Sony spend there money on doing sometimes.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

The Microsoft Xstation Playbox? Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

If it was that easy, I'm pretty sure MS and all the uber rich companies would own a lot of red-lined companies by now but alas reality seems to have many issues with this types of unity. lol!

Seece said:
enditall727 said:
Seece said:

Aple would have to want Sony. Why would Sony chose Apple over Microsoft? Don't act like they're rivals (MS and Sny) because really, they're not. Actually MS and Sony are more a match than Apple and Sony.

But this will never happen. If wanted to win the console war by spending $18b all they would have to do is buy taketwo, EA, Activision ect ect and end it.

Because Apple is still new to the gaming scene and MS has already proven that it is pretty much a no-sell in japan. 

And Apple would be a fresh and clean start. Sony would probably have more flexibity with Apple than MS.

but yea.. This wouldn't happen either way

And i dont think Activision, EA and Taketwo would let themselves be bought either

Other than poisioing themselves there isn't a whole lot they can do, they're not private companies.

There are multiple ways that a company can protect itself from hostile takeovers. One of the more extreme ways would be to poison themselves...but there are other ways.

Not only that but there are also preventative methods that a company can implement to prevent hostile takeovers.

So theres actually a lot of things that companies can do. And realistically MS probably wont be able to buy EA, Activision, Taketwo or Sony even if they wanted to.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

deskpro2k3 said:

thats wonderful ;)

Just off the record but, didn't they try to buy Nintendo?