By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon X/Y is now the highest selling 3DS game!

Will Pokemon X/Y still be on top at the end of this handheld generation?

Yes 75 79.79%

No (specify what game wil... 15 15.96%

Total:90
Aielyn said:
007BondAgent said:
Aielyn said:
You can't be quite certain that it's actually the highest-selling 3DS game. The best that can be said is that it's the 3DS game that has sold best at retail.

As surprising as it may sound, my suspicion is that New Leaf might actually be the best-selling title. Why? Because amongst all retail 3DS games released so far, it's the game best suited to digital download, and Nintendo did push digital download for that game particularly. I could honestly see it having 50% digital and 50% retail, while the others (not counting copies obtained through deals like the "buy one of these games and a 3DS XL, and download Super Mario 3D Land for free") I'd expect to be somewhere around 10-15% digital.

LOL Get real, animal crossing didn't sell 3 million digital

I suggest you review basic mathematics, since my description does work out to 6 million digital, as supernihilist notes.

That being said, I was working purely off intuition. Didn't think to look at actual numbers from previous quarters. Examination of the actual numbers gives us a better estimate of percentages, and I was overly optimistic.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/131031e.pdf

By the end of September, New Leaf had sold 6.35 million copies total. It was under 5 million retail according to VGChartz. This represents roughly 21% digital. Noting that its retail Christmas sales were a little slower than you'd expect, I think you'll find that the proportion of digital downloads will be somewhat higher since then. I'd guess somewhere around 25%. So I'd actually estimate New Leaf, assuming VGChartz hasn't mistracked (in either direction), to be somewhere around 8 million with digital included.

My main point, that digital sales mean that we don't know which one is actually ahead, remains valid.

Yes, I see your point just not the  impact your saying it has. I'm sure all these have missing digital sales not inlcuded in the totals listed in this thread, however Pokemon has digtal sales not listed here  too and that would put it still well ahead of animal crossing and the other games here.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
007BondAgent said:
Aielyn said:
You can't be quite certain that it's actually the highest-selling 3DS game. The best that can be said is that it's the 3DS game that has sold best at retail.

As surprising as it may sound, my suspicion is that New Leaf might actually be the best-selling title. Why? Because amongst all retail 3DS games released so far, it's the game best suited to digital download, and Nintendo did push digital download for that game particularly. I could honestly see it having 50% digital and 50% retail, while the others (not counting copies obtained through deals like the "buy one of these games and a 3DS XL, and download Super Mario 3D Land for free") I'd expect to be somewhere around 10-15% digital.

LOL Get real, animal crossing didn't sell 3 million digital

I suggest you review basic mathematics, since my description does work out to 6 million digital, as supernihilist notes.

That being said, I was working purely off intuition. Didn't think to look at actual numbers from previous quarters. Examination of the actual numbers gives us a better estimate of percentages, and I was overly optimistic.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/131031e.pdf

By the end of September, New Leaf had sold 6.35 million copies total. It was under 5 million retail according to VGChartz. This represents roughly 21% digital. Noting that its retail Christmas sales were a little slower than you'd expect, I think you'll find that the proportion of digital downloads will be somewhat higher since then. I'd guess somewhere around 25%. So I'd actually estimate New Leaf, assuming VGChartz hasn't mistracked (in either direction), to be somewhere around 8 million with digital included.

My main point, that digital sales mean that we don't know which one is actually ahead, remains valid.

I wasn't adding up your useless info, i was only using the 3 million figure to put it's numbers ahead of pokemon.

And stop pulling numbers out of your ass

Devil_Survivor said:
Yes, I see your point just not the  impact your saying it has. I'm sure all these have missing digital sales not inlcuded in the totals listed in this thread, however Pokemon has digtal sales not listed here  too and that would put it still well ahead of animal crossing and the other games here.

I'm not convinced that Pokemon X and Y's digital sales would be higher than those of the other games on the list - indeed, given the times that the various games have been out, I could see its digital sales being lower (because Pokemon X/Y would have had holiday sales at retail for a large portion of its availability, while the others have been through significant periods when there wouldn't be any major deals, and thus the eShop prices wouldn't look too high at those times). Without official numbers (which should be released around the end of the month), though, it's speculation.

Let me put it in a more mathematical sense. The difference right now between Pokemon X/Y and 3D Land is roughly 90,000. Even if we ignore the, say, 2% possible error in VGChartz numbers (which would be of the order of 180,000), a small difference in digital proportion could make all the difference. If we supposed that 10% of sales are digital, for instance, then both are about 1 million digital... and if we raise 3D Land's digital proportion by an extra 1%, then that's an extra 114,000 digital copies, putting it ahead. So it wouldn't take much variation to place 3D Land ahead. Or push X/Y further ahead. Without those digital sales, we just don't know.

007BondAgent said:
I wasn't adding up your useless info, i was only using the 3 million figure to put it's numbers ahead of pokemon.

I didn't know that Nintendo's official numbers were up my ass. Actually, I'll have to talk to my donkey, because I've already warned her before not to be consuming numbers, they're not good for her digestive system.

Aielyn said:
007BondAgent said:

I didn't know that Nintendo's official numbers were up my ass. Actually, I'll have to talk to my donkey, because I've already warned her before not to be consuming numbers, they're not good for her digestive system.

See, the problem with your argument is, you have no proof what animal crossing sold on digital, you know nintendo reported that pokemon black and white 2 sold over 7.5m, yet vgchartz had it around 6.2m, i guess it sold 1.3m on digital... Ohhh wait, it's not on digital.

Around the Network

Such a shame its not Bravely Default

Turkish said:
Such a shame its not Bravely Default

When the US version+digital it should crack 1Mil total sales, which is relatively good for a non-Final Fantasy JRPG

007BondAgent said:
See, the problem with your argument is, you have no proof what animal crossing sold on digital, you know nintendo reported that pokemon black and white 2 sold over 7.5m, yet vgchartz had it around 6.2m, i guess it sold 1.3m on digital... Ohhh wait, it's not on digital.

What we do know, though, is that New Leaf sold more than 700,000 copies by digital download in Japan by the end of December 2012. Given that the difference I noted above represents less than twice that amount (1.35 million, in fact), it doesn't sound even remotely unreasonable to assume that, by the end of September, with the worldwide release in between, digital downloads of the game reached this number. And it's consistent with Nintendo's own numbers.

Also, where did you get the 6.2 million from? And a look at the actual numbers given by VGChartz and Nintendo reveals that the Japanese numbers are nearly identical, while the "Overseas" numbers appear undertracked by VGChartz. But since we can't determine which games might be overtracked or undertracked under any specific circumstance, we work on actual numbers.

Now subtract 0.5 to 1M to adjust for overtracking.

Aielyn said:

I live in Missouri, North America and New leaf is like 6th or 7th on the eshop all time chart. A link between new worlds is ahead of it I believe now. If your predication is true, that would mean all those other games have sold even more than 3million digitally globally (if the NA sales are similar to global eshop charts).