By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, was NintendoDS also a fad?

So, was DS a fad?

Nintendo is a fad 26 100.00%

Total:26

Everyone knows the DS is overtracked by 140 million...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network

I don't think it was a fad, more than was a promise that didn't deliver.  The thing that caught the attention the imagination of the world was not graphics or even the games(to some degree), rather it was the sneak peak into the possible future of technology.  All those who bought the console were not necessarily gaming affecianados, but were people who dreamed of flying cars, of virutal reality, something out of the Jetsons.  Motion controls were the next step into getting a real light saber in real life, that alone garnered the Wii attention.  I just don't think it's a fad when there's so much more interest in something that wasn't perfected. 

As for the DS, to be honest that seems to be more of a fad than the Wii.  Sure, the ds and the 3ds have long legs and they travel far, but other than what they've shown so far, they are soon to be on the down-swing of a technology that will not repeat in the next generation, if consumers are smart and those who are manufacturing them are smart as well.  Just imagine a third iteration with the same clamshell two screen combo with nothing more to add than that and process power and 3d.  If you think about it, the jump from ds to 3ds was nothing more than a clearer picture, 3d, and more power.  Plus, I'm wondering if there weren't friends who told friends that they'll battle them in pokemon or race them in mario kart, that the 3ds would be selling as hotly as they are now.  And that is the ultimate sign of a fad when people start buying because everyone else is buying them.

orniletter said:
RolStoppable said:
Yes, the DS was a fad. It was outlasted by the PSP which was the true winner of that handheld generation and had games without gimmicky controls.

the funny thing is that you really have some Sony fans bending and redefining the term "winning " in every single "Who won the generation"- thread

It's difficult to meassure who won.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
sub-zero-TM said:
I agree that Wii was a fad, but DS was not.

Can you explain the difference please?

The DS's popularity grew over time, followed by a few years of consistently high sales, then proceeded by a final few years where it's sales dropped off. This is the same thing that happened the PSP, PS3 and 360 (tends to look something like a curve). The Wii on the other hand almost instantly peaked (delayed only by supply issues) then spent the next 3/4 of it's life cycle progressively selling worse and worse. In the case of a full blown fad, the sales would look like this:

The Wii looked like this:

What that shows is the Wii was not entirely a fad, and earn much of it's own success, but that a large portion of it's early sales were due to one.

Zekkyou said:
Pavolink said:
sub-zero-TM said:
I agree that Wii was a fad, but DS was not.

Can you explain the difference please?

The DS's popularity grew over time, followed by a few years of consistently high sales, then proceeded by a final few years where it's sales dropped off. This is the same thing that happened the PSP, PS3 and 360 (tends to look something like a curve). The Wii on the other hand almost instantly peaked (delayed only by supply issues) then spent the next 3/4 of it's life cycle progressively selling worse and worse. In the case of a full blown fad, the sales would look like this:

The Wii looked like this:

What that shows is the Wii was not entirely a fad, and earn much of it's own success, but that a large portion of it's early sales were due to one.

Wii was released in 2006. Its peak year was 2008, not 2006 or 2007. 2009 was also a good year and "selling worse" is not the word I'll use.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
orniletter said:
RolStoppable said:
Yes, the DS was a fad. It was outlasted by the PSP which was the true winner of that handheld generation and had games without gimmicky controls.

the funny thing is that you really have some Sony fans bending and redefining the term "winning " in every single "Who won the generation"- thread

It's difficult to meassure who won.

it honestly isn´t when one console sold the most hardware, software and made the company the most money overall.

But I know what you mean, "console XXX won the gamer´s heart !!111!!"

orniletter said:

it honestly isn´t when one console sold the most hardware, software and made the company the most money overall.

But I know what you mean, "console XXX won the gamer´s heart !!111!!"

Companies like Sony are here to win hardcore hearts, not to make money. That's dissgusting.

After doubled the sales of its main competitor worldwide and then having a sucessor that is just crushing the main competitor, it´s hardly a fad.......
you know what is a real fad today? Videogame consoles.

Wii wasn't a fad if Nintendo had continued to support it, the sales would probably be past 130 million right now.

Of course, everything is a fad, except for OUYA, OUYA is just waiting it's moment to strike and take over the gaming industry