By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, was NintendoDS also a fad?

So, was DS a fad?

Nintendo is a fad 26 100.00%

Total:26

We already know that Wii was fad, a brillian one btw. Wii U proves it. No one that bought the Wii is buying the Wii U. Motions controls were a just a hook to buy an inferior piece of hardware, regardless of the amazing software it have.

But, was NDS also a fad? Did it qualify as a casual device (fad) or as a hardcore device? 3DS, like the Wii U, is selling way below its predecessor, the NDS. Were double screens - touch screen a fad like the motion controls?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

Then PS2 was a fad as the PS3 is selling worse than the PS2.

But we all know Nintendo in itself is a fad. 100 years as a company is clearly a long fad... but a fad nonetheless.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
Then PS2 was a fad as the PS3 is selling worse than the PS2.

But we all know Nintendo in itself is a fad. 100 years as a company is clearly a long fad... but a fad nonetheless.

PS2 is qualified (arbitrary) as a hardcore device.

I agree that Wii was a fad, but DS was not.

No, but the Virtual Boy was a fad. It sold 800,000,000 units in one month, and never sold another unit (at least I dreamed it did).

Around the Network
sub-zero-TM said:
I agree that Wii was a fad, but DS was not.

Can you explain the difference please?

spurgeonryan said:
Strange today^

Umm...yes. I hate playing games with that dumb stick. just like I hate playing most games with that dumb motion controller. Not all. Some are great with both these devices. I just do not care for them. unless I am typing something. I do not think I need the stylus at all in Animal Crossing?

Yes.

MAN you and me are fucking n00bs

I found out like late last year that there is a thumb stylus (small pad thing that attaches to your thumb). This is what all these pro hardcore gamers been using.

If only I knew at the start of ds gen ......

How was it possibly a fad, it sold well throughout its life time, following the usual bell curve of any console and has had a successor based on the same general hardware design, that is now selling well, so no its not a FAD,

Wii is a fad because it had a horrible premature drop of in sales during its life and Wii U which has the same motion controls, no one is picking up this time around.

RolStoppable said:
Yes, the DS was a fad. It was outlasted by the PSP which was the true winner of that handheld generation and had games without gimmicky controls.

Exactly. PSP outsold DS in 2011 in Japan. A prove of its fad status and a shame for the market leaders.

RolStoppable said:
Yes, the DS was a fad. It was outlasted by the PSP which was the true winner of that handheld generation and had games without gimmicky controls.

the funny thing is that you really have some Sony fans bending and redefining the term "winning " in every single "Who won the generation"- thread