By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales- Week #01 2014: Vita rises, Wii U drops!

WiiU to outsell 360 lifetime in Japan next week.

But.....WiiU is falling harder then it did last year. I hope it doesn't crash again.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Fusioncode said:
Those are some incredible Vita numbers.

Yes, thanks to the launch of Final Fantasy bundles.

you're saying its not impressive? 3DS never sells more because of bundles!?

Try harder next time.

Were did I say that Vita sales were not impressive?

Try again and harder next time.

padib said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Can anyone explain why, despite the good Vita hardware numbers, it stills didn´t have good software sales ? Only 2 games between the 30 best sellers, and one of them is the desirable Final Fantasy. Aren´t Vita buyers gettin only Final Fantasy? What are they buying the Vita for? Heck! Even the WiiU, with a smaller install base, had 05 games charted - 03 among the 10 best sellers.

@bold. Yes, I think it's a system seller. Some people never  experienced the game before, they were maybe not born.

Final Fantasy sure is a system seller, but now it came to my mind...... could a good part of those sales be VitaTv numbers? Then the low software sales could have an explanation. Vita owners that already have a number of games could be buying it, as it is very cheap

Rogerioandrade said:

Final Fantasy sure is a system seller, but now it came to my mind...... could a good part of those sales be VitaTv numbers? Then the low software sales could have an explanation. Vita owners that already have a number of games could be buying it, as it is very cheap

No.  ~6k for VitaTV; ~81k for Vita 1000 + 2000.

Rogerioandrade said:

That'd be one hell of a turnaround for Vita TV that's barely been shifting a couple of thousand units. Even 10k would be like 500% rise.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
padib said:
Kresnik said:

No.  ~6k for VitaTV; ~81k for Vita 1000 + 2000.

Nice. What is the source for the breakdown, MC?

@Regio. I guess this nails it down for me that it's FFX.

Mmhmm

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20140108065/

I should probably edit that into the OP.

edit: Wait no, that's the wrong week.  Or is it?  I can't really tell.  Point being, though, VitaTV is never going to be "the majority" of Vita's sales.

And regarding the boost, it's just regular Sony New Year's hardware boost.  Happened last year as well in similar proportions and there was no software at all in the top 40.  And the only Vita game in the top 50 was Call of Duty:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41280/Japan/

Vita is in a better place now than it was in 2012 in general.  Cheaper; smaller & in more colours (bigger deal than you'd think in Japan) and with a better software library.  Much of which you can pick up pre-owned now.

I'm sure some FFX's popularity did spill over into this week, though.

Rogerioandrade said:
Can anyone explain why, despite the good Vita hardware numbers, it stills didn´t have good software sales ? Only 2 games between the 30 best sellers, and one of them is the desirable Final Fantasy. Aren´t Vita buyers gettin only Final Fantasy? What are they buying the Vita for? Heck! Even the WiiU, with a smaller install base, had 05 games charted - 03 among the 10 best sellers.

Digital is a strong force now. Particularly with that platform.  I would be surprised if a few of the games are moving enough digitally that it would be on the charts (12K would be all that was needed this week for example). There might be some other explanation but not one that seems to work with why Vita still seems to be getting better and better Japanese support.  

Rogerioandrade said:

You should put things in context those wii u and 3ds games on chart are bigger IP than any IP on psv big ip stay a long time on chart because they are popular and small ip would chart in the first week or two and then disappear.

Niche game on psv sold well for a niche game,vita had not big ip (by big ip i mean Final Fantasy ip or Metal Gear Solid) so we can not know how those game could do on Vita.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Utter Nintendomination, as usual, then.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

padib said:
Kresnik said:

Vita is in a better place now than it was in 2012 in general.  Cheaper; smaller & in more colours (bigger deal than you'd think in Japan) and with a better software library.  Much of which you can pick up pre-owned now.

I'm sure some FFX's popularity did spill over into this week, though.

For sure. It's to note that the Vita was already high last week, and this week jumped higher than this time last year. It's just my gut that FFX is the cause for the bigger sales this year. Hard to jump when you're already high is kind of what I mean.

That's what I was meaning with my first paragraph though.  It's had a stronger 2013 in general; and it had a much better holiday season this year than last year (it managed ~ 4k at one point in November last year).  So seeing it "up" in general isn't that surprising.  I suspect with a little pushing Sony could get it higher again in 2014.