By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - convince me that marijuana should be legal.

marijuana is not a drug, its a herb.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

Anyone who wants to smoke weed is probably going to anyway. Might as well tax the shit out of them for it :P

I've never really understood why it's illegal anyway. It's relatively harmless compared to many legal drugs.

oldschoolfool said:
the only convincing arguement I've read so far is that booze and tobacco are legal,then why not the wacky ta-backy. that's a fair and valid argument,but if that's the case,then why stop there. Why not make all forms of prostitution and gambling legal while were at it. Why not lower the age of marriage to 13 and marry animals while were at it. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I could just as easily counter your argument by saying "weed is illegal, so why stop there? Alcohol is responsible for 88,000 deaths in the US every year, so why not make that illegal too? Why not cigarettes? Heck, why don't we just remove all forms of medication too". See how easy it is for me to blurt out nonsense using the reverse of your logic?

People are going to smoke weed if it’s legal or not. It’s not an A class drug, it’s easy to make and easy to buy. Why not make it legal and benefit from the taxes you can impose on it? We already do it for more dangerous drugs.

badgenome said:

1. It is immoral to throw someone in a cage for doing something that doesn't harm another person.

2. If you are concerned that people will ruin their own lives with pot, it seems counterproductive to preemptively ruin their lives by turning them into criminals and making it that much harder for them to find employment and become productive members of society.

3. Prohibition doesn't work, anyway.

That is actually a compelling line of reasoning. Well said.

Screamapillar said:

1) Government prohibitions don't work. They never, ever have. It just encourages black markets, which lead to crime.

2) Alcohol kills people, not marijuana. So why is alcohol legal?

3) If it's the government's role to stop us from doing stupid things, why are McDonald's and Taco Bell allowed to sell us fatty foods that cause us to be an obese society?  Obesity is much more harmful than marijuana.

4) If we need more tax revenue (which we do), why not legalize marijuana, and tax and regulate it just like cigarettes and alcohol?

In my country people die and accidentally kill while driving under the effects of marijuana all the time...

By your logic if I ever meet a serial killer that only kills men, I should tell him he is a hypocrite and that he should also kill women.

Just because we are legally allowed to do a couple of dangerous stuff, doesn't mean we should fight to do all the hazardous things we can think of, because doing just a couple is stupid. Right?

Around the Network
Desertghost said:
Screamapillar said:

1) Government prohibitions don't work. They never, ever have. It just encourages black markets, which lead to crime.

2) Alcohol kills people, not marijuana. So why is alcohol legal?

3) If it's the government's role to stop us from doing stupid things, why are McDonald's and Taco Bell allowed to sell us fatty foods that cause us to be an obese society?  Obesity is much more harmful than marijuana.

4) If we need more tax revenue (which we do), why not legalize marijuana, and tax and regulate it just like cigarettes and alcohol?

In my country people die and accidentally kill while driving under the effects of marijuana all the time...

By your logic if I ever meet a serial killer that only kills men, I should tell him he is a hypocrite and that he should also kill women.

Just because we are legally allowed to do a couple of dangerous stuff, doesn't mean we should fight to do all the hazardous things we can think of, because doing just a couple is stupid. Right?

Right, but driving under the influence is already illegal.  Do you think someone already doing something illegal (marijuana) won't do something else illegal (driving under the influence)? 

Should it be illegal for me to smoke in my house, simply because some idiot is going to drive under the influence (regardless of the law)?  I should be held accountable?

Weed helps me sleep...gives me really good sleep ready for the next day of fast paced work.

I used to lead this kind of argument. I predicted on here many times Colorado would go legal. I was right. I am not sure I have reason to make huge arguments anymore. I voted in my state and it is legal. Now it is the job of others to do the same in their state.

Do you really think that making marijuana illegal is going to stop people determined to take it? How's that currently working out?

/thread

oldschoolfool said:

For the record,I don't understand the point of booze and tobacco,but those things are legal. Why make just another bad thing for you,legal. It benifits no one. If I had my way,booze and tobacco would be outlawed. There's no benefit in any of these things. 

Well if they would ban booze and tobacco i would agree with you. But since that is never going to happen and because marijuana is much less damaging than alcohol and actually healthier to smoke than tobacco there is no reason to keep it banned.

If you're still wondering why it should be legal, just look why they turned back the ban of alcohol in the U.S. a hundred years ago. Keeping something like this illegal simply means much more crime and illegal trade.