By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does it matter if Wii U games dont look as good as others?

Wii U games look really good. Theres nothing to be ashamed about.

Just cause next gen has more pretty particles flying around and the light shines more doesnt really affect my opinion of the games much.

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
Anfebious said:
Graphics are the new standard for quality. You can't talk about a high quality game if you don't bring to the table the amount of RAM, and processing power it went into creating the game. If the standard isn't met then it is a subpar game.

Gameplay is already at it's maximum peak so the only thing left to argue about is the quality of the graphics. The amount of pixels and resolution is where it's at. And Wii U clearly shows a lack of techonology, horse power and vision when you compare it with it's competition.

It's so doomed.

gameplay is at it`s maximum peak? what te hell are u smoking? the lat gen gameplay was SHIT. most games didnt felt good, controlls were just bad, wrong use of cutscenes, wrong use of quicktime events...

I think your point of view is a bit extreme but I kinda agree with you.  I try to force myself to play my older games that used to excite me and....they aren't really fun at all.  Once the graphics got dull and the story was told, there wasn't really much to go back for.

Few exceptions, though.

Seriously, who cares? Why can't people just enjoy their game system wish the competitors success? The fact that this guy made a youtube video about this and kept on repeating the fag over and over, is sad. Does it really matter that much?

As for predictions, with the price difference between PS4 and xbox one, I wouldn't not be surprised if PS4 cleans house going into 2014 between the two. Most of the hardcore crowd don't seem to care about about movement based playing, so they will pick the PS4 over xbox one with the price difference. With that said, I could see the WiiU coming in at a very strong second place. You have a game system $299 (with two games compared to 400 and 500 no games), which is marketed towards families, casuals, and your loyal nintendo fans.

If they find some way of bringing the WiiU down to 250 with 2 games perhaps I would not be surprised if they get Wii like sales because then it starts getting into impulse buy territory.

Anyway those are just my thoughts. I think some people are putting way too much thought into the console race. A little friendly competition is one thing, but taken to the point of hatred of others is quite another. Get a life, and just enjoy some good games.

d21lewis said:
generic-user-1 said:
Anfebious said:
Graphics are the new standard for quality. You can't talk about a high quality game if you don't bring to the table the amount of RAM, and processing power it went into creating the game. If the standard isn't met then it is a subpar game.

Gameplay is already at it's maximum peak so the only thing left to argue about is the quality of the graphics. The amount of pixels and resolution is where it's at. And Wii U clearly shows a lack of techonology, horse power and vision when you compare it with it's competition.

It's so doomed.

gameplay is at it`s maximum peak? what te hell are u smoking? the lat gen gameplay was SHIT. most games didnt felt good, controlls were just bad, wrong use of cutscenes, wrong use of quicktime events...

I think your point of view is a bit extreme but I kinda agree with you.  I try to force myself to play my older games that used to excite me and....they aren't really fun at all.  Once the graphics got dull and the story was told, there wasn't really much to go back for.

Few exceptions, though.

mb u have the wrong old games. u allways can return to Tristram and have some fun

Better graphics does not make the games better!!! Killzone: Shadow Fall is an awesome example for this because it's just an average game!!!

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
d21lewis said:
generic-user-1 said:
Anfebious said:

It's so doomed.

Few exceptions, though.

mb u have the wrong old games. u allways can return to Tristram and have some fun

mb u rite.  I never even heard of a Tristam.  Maybe it's awesome.  Unfortunately, my games collection is a "Who's who" of 7th gen all-stars across every single platform.

d21lewis said:
generic-user-1 said:
d21lewis said:
generic-user-1 said:
Anfebious said:

It's so doomed.

Few exceptions, though.

mb u rite.  I never even heard of a Tristam.  Maybe it's awesome.  Unfortunately, my games collection is a "Who's who" of 7th gen all-stars across every single platform.

ohh u were talking about 7th gen? okay, i didnt mean the tristram on 7th gen, thats a realy bad place if u are looking for fun.

TheGhosts said:
Better graphics does not make the games better!!! Killzone: Shadow Fall is an awesome example for this because it's just an average game!!!

I'm of the camp that can appreciate good graphics so I'll say better graphics don't make games worse either.  It's when games rely on graphics instead of making an actual good game.  

*goes on a rant.  You can stop reading now.

I mean, a good game is a good game.  I played Super Mario World this morning as my "First game of 2014" and it was still fun despite having graphics from 1991.  Meanwhile a game like Heavy Rain is more of an "experience" than a game.  I tried to replay it multiple times and I just couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't having any fun.  Hell, I'm caught up in Beyond Two Souls but I can't play more than 30 minutes at a time because it's mundane as fuck despite being a beautiful game with a captivating story.

I hope we can go back to the days where an intriguing premise and fun gameplay get supplimented by spectacular graphics.  Why back in my day, we blah blah bah....blah blah...blah.  Now Valkyria Chronicles, Street Fighter 4, 'Splosion Man, THOSE are real blah blah blah....and gas used to cost 75 cents!  None of this Cartoon Network stuff, either.  We had cartoons on Saturday mornings ONLY!  Then the Disney Afternoon came along with Ducktales and blah blah blah.....

*ends rant*

Legendary_W said:
Locknuts said:
I think we've finally reach a point where more TFLOPS does not mean better games or even the potential for better games necessarily. When I see gameplay mechanics which are simply not possible without the power of the PS4 or X1 then I'll change my mind. Until then I'll continue to think the Wii U, when used properly, can deliver an experience at least as good as anything available on PS4 or X1.

Allow me to share something I've read on the internet some time ago while investigating about how powerful the Wii U actually is:

"Alright this has been pissing me off about people. I myself have gone through 4 years of college in the pursuit of becoming a game developer (looking at Crystal Dynamics), and the first thing they tell you in college: on today's modern systems anything is possible. Anything, so long as you program it right. Nowadays people think more power will allow us to do more, but that is completely wrong. In fact, it's backwards thinking. All more power has allowed game developers to do, is become lazy programmers.

As consumer, power should mean shit to you. You don't have to deal with system limitations, developers do. When these professional developers make their games, if they wrote more efficient code, there would be absolutely no need to make 3 different versions of the same game. Instead, they write these high end combiners and render unneeded stuff for the more "powerful" systems simply because they can get away with it. Then they make the Wii/Wii U versions not as good looking simply because they are too lazy to fix up their mistake of inefficient code.

Don't ever let the power of a system deter you from buying it, because no matter how powerful a system is, you as a consumer do not deal with the limitations. If a Wii U and PS4 were the same price, then yeah, bad deal for you. But it's not, it's at a reduce cost and the specs aren't too different. Buy a system for the games YOU want, not because a game developer said the system is weak because that assimply isn't true."

As far as my knowledge goes I think most, if not everything, he is saying is true. I saved it because I found it quite interesting and decided to share it with a friend that knows more on the subject than I do.

It'd be interesting to see if their viewpoint changes once they start working at a developer with tight deadlines and little time to get things coded as efficiently as they would like.

Whilst they're likely right that most modern systems are capable of doing what you want if you code it right (personally I think it's too early in the gen to say for certain as some devs may be able to leverage the extra power for new features not yet experienced), the more time spent getting your code to work is less time spent on introducing new features. That has a direct impact on consumers.

Scoobes said:
Legendary_W said:
Locknuts said:
I think we've finally reach a point where more TFLOPS does not mean better games or even the potential for better games necessarily. When I see gameplay mechanics which are simply not possible without the power of the PS4 or X1 then I'll change my mind. Until then I'll continue to think the Wii U, when used properly, can deliver an experience at least as good as anything available on PS4 or X1.

Allow me to share something I've read on the internet some time ago while investigating about how powerful the Wii U actually is:

"Alright this has been pissing me off about people. I myself have gone through 4 years of college in the pursuit of becoming a game developer (looking at Crystal Dynamics), and the first thing they tell you in college: on today's modern systems anything is possible. Anything, so long as you program it right. Nowadays people think more power will allow us to do more, but that is completely wrong. In fact, it's backwards thinking. All more power has allowed game developers to do, is become lazy programmers.

As consumer, power should mean shit to you. You don't have to deal with system limitations, developers do. When these professional developers make their games, if they wrote more efficient code, there would be absolutely no need to make 3 different versions of the same game. Instead, they write these high end combiners and render unneeded stuff for the more "powerful" systems simply because they can get away with it. Then they make the Wii/Wii U versions not as good looking simply because they are too lazy to fix up their mistake of inefficient code.

Don't ever let the power of a system deter you from buying it, because no matter how powerful a system is, you as a consumer do not deal with the limitations. If a Wii U and PS4 were the same price, then yeah, bad deal for you. But it's not, it's at a reduce cost and the specs aren't too different. Buy a system for the games YOU want, not because a game developer said the system is weak because that assimply isn't true."

As far as my knowledge goes I think most, if not everything, he is saying is true. I saved it because I found it quite interesting and decided to share it with a friend that knows more on the subject than I do.

It'd be interesting to see if their viewpoint changes once they start working at a developer with tight deadlines and little time to get things coded as efficiently as they would like.

Whilst they're likely right that most modern systems are capable of doing what you want if you code it right (personally I think it's too early in the gen to say for certain as some devs may be able to leverage the extra power for new features not yet experienced), the more time spent getting your code to work is less time spent on introducing new features. That has a direct impact on consumers.

Yeah, I guess you're probably right. Still, PS360 had amazingly well-looking games such as TLOU and GTA V that proved how good a game can look and be as long as it's properly optimized. I know they are exceptions because TLOU was a major exclusive and it was made by a great and respected dev team and so did GTA V with a $265.000.000 budget,  but major games from Nintendo also are exceptions as most of the time they end up being outstanding games (Otherwise they wouldn't still be relevant nowadays) and with that thought in mind I don't really worry about graphics very much, since they will almost certainly look much more than acceptable, but that's just my opinion based on logical assumptions. Maybe when the all-new Zelda for Wii U comes out we will see how actually good a game can look on Wii U (Assuming it has a realist graphics).