By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 sold last year 530,000 units in the UK in five weeks (outsold Xbone by 166,000)

BHR-3 said:
this sucks

with the ps4 outselling the comp in every territory theres really no reasons for PS sales fans to be on here, i like defending and hyping up the PS consoles like with ps3 with the wait till 299 and for X games to release

im gonna have to switch sides and hype up the xb1 or even the wiiu

Don't worry, there will be plenty of defending to do with the PS4, at least for the first couple of years.  For the first year, Xbox fans will think the One has a shot of winning this gen, even without EU and Japan.  Then, when it becomes apparent that the PS4 will come out on top, I'm sure many will say the exclusives are crap and only sell so well because it has such a large install base.

Besides, you should choose a side based on what you like, not because you like being the underdog. 

@ OP

Man, I thought the PS4's EU tracking on here was overtracked slightly, with US being undertracked.  Looks more like EU is fine, while US is undertracked.  I mean Sony said themselves that they were focusing shipments on the US. 

Around the Network

Impressive for PS4!
Awesome for X1 as well considering its incredibly high price there.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Sony have done really well to turn it round in the UK and with a clear lead now for the PS4. Pleased the UK console market is so strong. Good times ahead. :)

Who said console gaming is dying ?!
These are some incredible sales for ps4 half a million in 5 weeks !!! Xbone is doing far greater than all of us expected I guess..

Although I'm more keen on the ps4 than xbox one nothing could be worse for Sony to dominate this generation. A monopoly means poor value to the consumer. I think Microsoft already stated they will price adjust their console if they have to. So they have given pre-warning that they will do it. I don't think Microsoft has any intention of not fighting with the ps4 and lets not forget Microsoft have deeper pockets for this fight. The xbox one is clearly cheaper to make than ps4 for the console itself and may even be cheaper even when you factor in kinect as its really just a small plastic box with a microphone and a couple of optical sensors. All the processing is done externally in the xbox one using the standard chipset, hence why a portion of the gpu and 1 of the cpu's are used for kinect.

Microsoft also seem more keen to extract funds from users with in game transactions, DLC etc and their xbox live service is more expensive with less features and benefits. They also have more features behind a paywall so its harder not to have the xbox live gold service. I'm just making the point this extra source of revenue can be used to help subsidise the console purchase price.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
WOW incredible PS4 figures! Nex gen is really off to a huuuge start.

Where is WiiU right now? Vgchartz has it at 217K so I guess it'll be at like 260-270K by the end of the year.

it was at 150k (official numbers) when PS4 was at 250k (first week) and Xbox One was at 170k. so 270k seems way to high for WiiU (VGC had it overtracked when we got official numbers) 

Know quite a few people over here with a PS4 already - I'd have bought mine if anywhere had stock lol. Really feels like its got a sorta hype and popularity about it that the 360 had 3-4 years ago!

Hope the PS4 online presence sorta translates through into this, don't know if I'll get about to playing competitively again but 360 always had the bigger communities for games.

Great sales for the PS4 especially with the near constant Xbox One adverts (there are plenty of PS4 adverts too, just not as many)

I have also casually observed that the Xbox One seems to be easier to find than the PS4

Dat PS4... I'm here in January.

bonzobanana said:
Although I'm more keen on the ps4 than xbox one nothing could be worse for Sony to dominate this generation. A monopoly means poor value to the consumer. I think Microsoft already stated they will price adjust their console if they have to. So they have given pre-warning that they will do it. I don't think Microsoft has any intention of not fighting with the ps4 and lets not forget Microsoft have deeper pockets for this fight. The xbox one is clearly cheaper to make than ps4 for the console itself and may even be cheaper even when you factor in kinect as its really just a small plastic box with a microphone and a couple of optical sensors. All the processing is done externally in the xbox one using the standard chipset, hence why a portion of the gpu and 1 of the cpu's are used for kinect.

Microsoft also seem more keen to extract funds from users with in game transactions, DLC etc and their xbox live service is more expensive with less features and benefits. They also have more features behind a paywall so its harder not to have the xbox live gold service. I'm just making the point this extra source of revenue can be used to help subsidise the console purchase price.

I'm not so sure, I think MS need a bit of a bashing this gen, because if they do OK they may feel alot of what they did was justified and not really learn from it.

I also think that if MS continue to bring out consoles, and this one isn't doing that great, then we can look at a much shorter generation, back to 5 years again. I think the industry needs that to be honest with you, both MS/Sony let this gen go on way too long.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!