By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 starts dominating - outsells WiiU and X1 combined (Read OP, please)

thismeintiel said:
J_Allard said:
thismeintiel said:

You guys need to stop using the poor excuse of smaller country numbers, since the fact is each company will sell out of what they ship, regardless of where they go.  Well, at least that's a fact for the PS4.  Unfortunately for MS, their shipments are exceeding demand, especially in EU.  And that's because MS isn't greatly outshipping the PS4 WW (which is a ridiculous notion), but because the Xbox One has lower demand, regardless of how many countries it launches in.

What's this "you guys" and "stop using" stuff? I have brought that up exactly one time, on my own accord with no persuasion from anyone else, and mostly in a mocking manner to show you can always come up with something stupid to discredit a comparison (see: this thread regarding 3DS). Hope that helps.

Lol, some have used that excuse besides you.  Has nothing to do with "you guys" meeting in a group and deciding your talking points.  That would be kinda sad if that were the case.

Discuss how sad it would be at you guys next meeting.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
thismeintiel said:
J_Allard said:
thismeintiel said:

You guys need to stop using the poor excuse of smaller country numbers, since the fact is each company will sell out of what they ship, regardless of where they go.  Well, at least that's a fact for the PS4.  Unfortunately for MS, their shipments are exceeding demand, especially in EU.  And that's because MS isn't greatly outshipping the PS4 WW (which is a ridiculous notion), but because the Xbox One has lower demand, regardless of how many countries it launches in.

What's this "you guys" and "stop using" stuff? I have brought that up exactly one time, on my own accord with no persuasion from anyone else, and mostly in a mocking manner to show you can always come up with something stupid to discredit a comparison (see: this thread regarding 3DS). Hope that helps.

Lol, some have used that excuse besides you.  Has nothing to do with "you guys" meeting in a group and deciding your talking points.  That would be kinda sad if that were the case.

Discuss how sad it would be at you guys next meeting.

The meetings are pretty selective. We haven't invited thismeintiel yet.

Is it sad I'm not joking?

I can't wait for these figures on Feb 22nd week

The reasons why people want to hate on the 3DS being brought into the discussion are multiple. First it makes money for Nintendo hand over fist and thus the "doomed" conclusions for the company will never turn out to be true because they've got plenty of cash coming in thanks to the 3DS.

Second, it should be considered because Sony and Microsoft have totally failed in that realm and it isn't just with handheld consoles. It is with handheld ANYTHING. They can't make money on smartphones, tablets anything. Their only semi-success has been in consoles and even that requires a delusional state because they were roundly outsold last generation by the Wii and DS and while doing much better this generation still haven't surpassed the WiiU. Increasingly it looks like Microsoft is too expensive and too similar to Sony and thus not only will they lose, but lose badly to Sony.

While Sony has had a very nice launch out the gate, they have proven themselves what it takes to turn around a console and have done that with the PS3 sales to some degree. Nintendo can do that too with Wii U.

Nintendo is clearly improving their online experience and on top of it, they are the only free online play this round. They have already done a good job of improving the value proposition of the WiiU with bundles and have much more room to compete on price. As a competitor they clearly offer something different than Sony and Microsoft who are offering more of the same but with slightly more polygons and claims of slightly higher resolution this round.

Finally they are fully backward compatible with both controllers and games and this allows them more of a slow burn with regard to success. Sony needs to grab those big dollars because their solution requires a massive up front investment. $400 for the console, perhaps $60 for a second controller, $50 for plus and $60 for a game.

$570 is massive. The WiiU is going to really get a second look once we are post the hard-core early adopters who have the most money this one time of the year.

We still have our old Wii around and let's look at getting something new for a birthday or Spring Break or whatever. So and so had good grades and deserves something nice. What is the cost if we go with the Wii U?

$300.

But what about more controllers?

$300, you can use your old controllers.

But what about online play?

$300, it is free to play online.

But what about games to start out with?

$300 because it comes bundled with Zelda or Mario and Luigi and you can still revisit all the old Wii games you have as well.

If someone at Nintendo is smart, they are finding a way to make the 3DS add value to the Wii U. If they manage to do this then all bets are off. I know people talk about streaming game play to the 3DS and that wouldn't work. However it it were used just like a sideways WiiMote and people could use the screens for some asynchronous information related to games, it could be very cool.

Example, picking maps or characters for the next round of a game. I remember in certain games you could make or accept challenges or wagers. Imagine a game where you can send a quick request to team up or gang up on the one person in the room who has been killing everyone or talking crap and it happens via the screen so no one has to talk out loud about what is happening. Imagine a "Take down the Leader" challenge. Accept it and win and everyone gets coins. If you lose, the leader, not knowing about it gets the coins. That could be awesome.

Just with left over Wii hardware and 3DS customers, they have a potential audience of 141 million customers if they figure out how to hit the marketing message right and tie all of it together the best. They just unified the online stores for 3DS and Wii U. Hopefully this means more cross-promotion and more ways to bring all of their strengths together.

@el_gallo, I think you make some good points.

Your average Joe probably doesn't know all the details like you can reuse old controllers though. Nintendo needs to build up momentum and word of mouth.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
el_gallo said:
Finally they are fully backward compatible with both controllers and games and this allows them more of a slow burn with regard to success. Sony needs to grab those big dollars because their solution requires a massive up front investment. $400 for the console, perhaps $60 for a second controller, $50 for plus and $60 for a game.

$570 is massive.

Well, the PS4 is not such a big investment for me.

419 € for PS4 + DriveClub (retail) + 50% PS+ voucher.

- 520 € (sold my launch PS4 for 580 € minus 60 € eBay and shipping costs)

504 € for the Killzone-PS4-bundle (PS4 + Killzone Shadow Fall + second DualShock4 + camera)

- 50 € for second controller (I don't need it, second player can use my Vita as second controller)

- 60 € for the camera (perhaps I  keep it... haven't decided yet)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

all together: 293 € for PS4 (512 GB) + DriveClub + Killzone SF + 6 months PS Plus (Contrast, Resogun, Don't Starve and a few other PS4 games the next months)

a better value than 288 € - 299 € for a WiiU (32 GB) + 1 game ;)

Conina said:
el_gallo said:

$570 is massive.

504 € for the Killzone-PS4-bundle (PS4 + Killzone Shadow Fall + second DualShock4 + camera)

- 50 € for second controller (I don't need it, second player can use my Vita as second controller)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

all together: 293 € for PS4 (512 GB) + DriveClub + Killzone SF + 6 months PS Plus (Contrast, Resogun, Don't Starve and a few other PS4 games the next months)

How many people are going to be able to use a launch day PS4 plsu selling their old system to somehow make the purchase of their next system more tolerable?

Not many.

el_gallo said:

How many people are going to be able to use a launch day PS4 plsu selling their old system to somehow make the purchase of their next system more tolerable?

Not many.

Point taken ;)

And I have still a bad conscience for getting so much money for my launch PS3. I hadn't planned to sell it, but DriveClub got delayed and I couldn't change my order to the Killzone-Bundle without losing the big discount for DriveClub.

Conina said:
el_gallo said:

$570 is massive.

Hehe, lucky.

I got a XB1 Day One on ebay for $440 (including express shipping), then I sold it for $470.  Not much demand here... can't even sell for 499.

Whoever sold it to me got x-boned.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
When the PS4 is in stock everywhere, then the real demand ratios will be revealed. There won't be people buying XB1 only because they couldn't find a PS4.

That might be a good point perhaps for some but people tend to like what is hard to find.  if someone sees a ps4 hanging around and they know they might not find another for months you might find it as an excuse to get it right away.  If however there are tons and you know you could come back in a week and it would still be there you could just continue to wait.  Its the same effect you see with a lot of short supplied products.