By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Numbers Are Up!!! 14 December 2013

bananaking21 said:
i dont get the people who keep complaining about the people who posted an obvious undertracking error. i understand what ioi said, and that this site aims to give a ballpark of what the numbers are and not what each console sold exactly, but as ioi said, they go back and make adjustments when they get official data and when they get information. so why shouldnt we point out an error so they can adjust it? how is it wrong to want the numbers to be more accurate?

Because a large amount of those posts where people saying it was undertracked because there was a 500k launch in Asia, despite the fact  that most of the asia launch will happen aroudn the 17th. And that the 500k number was gotten from someone who thought that Vita had sold 2 million+ in the US.

Around the Network
Ponyless said:
bananaking21 said:
i dont get the people who keep complaining about the people who posted an obvious undertracking error. i understand what ioi said, and that this site aims to give a ballpark of what the numbers are and not what each console sold exactly, but as ioi said, they go back and make adjustments when they get official data and when they get information. so why shouldnt we point out an error so they can adjust it? how is it wrong to want the numbers to be more accurate?

Because a large amount of those posts where people saying it was undertracked because there was a 500k launch in Asia, despite the fact  that most of the asia launch will happen aroudn the 17th. And that the 500k number was gotten from someone who thought that Vita had sold 2 million+ in the US.

so just because some posts said that we should disregard the others who didnt? and we should also disregard the obvious mistake? 

bananaking21 said:
Ponyless said:
bananaking21 said:

so just because some posts said that we should disregard the others who didnt? and we should also disregard the obvious mistake? 

Some? Read the first few pages, it was a majority of people that thought that. And who said disregard it? We're talking about people complaining about people calling undertracked for dumb reasons. Imagine if you complained that PS4 was undertracked because it was ignoring Japanese sales numbers. Would there be a chance that PS4 is undertracked? Yes, maybe even a very good one, but the reasoning behind it was still dumb. Very few people said PS4 was not undertracked, the majority was just complaining about dumb reasoning.

PSP has passed 3 million for the year, in its 9th year. Mighty fine legs.

PS3 software is going to be up year-over-year.

bananaking21 said:

I agree.  When it is obvious, it needs to be called out.  Just like when we had the 360 and PSP undertracked by ~1M and PS3 ~2M, as well as the DS overtracked by ~500K, people kept bringing it up.  I even made a thread about it when a month or so had gone by without any adjustments.  It was addressed shortly after.  Point being, if we stayed quiet without bringing up obvious need for adjustment, who knows how long it would take for things to get adusted.

Around the Network
pezus said:

When something sells out almost immediately like PS4 does, again and again, it's a sign that demand is WAY higher than supply. Not just 10 or 20% higher, but at least 100% when it happens again and again and again.

CURRENT demand is 100% higher, sure.

Let's say 5m of the 70m PS3 install base basically want a PS4 right now. That's not unreasonable. Well, only 2.5m of that demand is satisfied by production right now.

But.... once that IS satisfied, will another 5m PS3 users want one? Don't think so. I think sustained demand will be pretty low actually. It's not getting any more games for a while and the price isn't falling for at least another year.

You're serious that sustained demand will be 100% higher?

Xbone and PS4 numbers look wrong imo.

I know it's a little bit off topic, but did you guys notice that apart from SM3DW there's no 8th gen game in top 10 for last two weeks?

Kristof81 said:
I know it's a little bit off topic, but did you guys notice that apart from SM3DW there's no 8th gen game in top 10 for last two weeks?

As Seece pointed out, that's definitely overtracked, too.  SM3DW did 215K for it's launch month (Nov) in the US, which includes digital sales, too.  So, it's definitely less than 200k retail for Nov.  It selling 131K in just one week for Dec make no sense whatsoever.

pezus said:

In the holiday season, yes...easily. Outside the holiday season it will be lower, but still a lot higher than for any other home console and quite possibly higher than 3DS.

"It's not getting any more games for a while" is just not true at all...

When is it next getting a game that will make it more attractive than the following:

Assassins Creed
Call of Duty
Killzone
Battlefield
FIFA

Drive Club is both free and so tied to the launch marketing that I think its demand is already here and won't suddenly appear when the game does.

Beyond that?