By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you still buying physical media?

Renting is a great money and space saver heh. Hell I am going back to gamefly as soon as I start my second job heh

Around the Network

What the hell do you mean still?

I buy CD's just because well fuck iTunes and I don't want to get a virus from LimeWire. DVD's yeah. Videogames yeah.

Why would you download this stuff? Convenience? Good job killing everyone's economy....

I download music, and I don't buy DVD's. I rent DVD's at the store and rip them if I want a movie. I have about 30-35 Blu-ray titles. I was willing to buy movies that I wanted on Blu-Ray to show my support for the format and because I love hi-def media. The Blu-Ray BOGO's made it a lot easier to stock up too, as well as the sick deals you can get online.

I will probably pirate Blu-Rays too eventually, but right now the cost of entry for the hardware is too high. A good burner is AT LEAST $300 (and I don't have a PC to put it in either...) and the discs are $10 a pop if you are lucky. I would have had to pay more burning the Blade Runner Collectors set (5 discs) than it would have cost me to buy it. That is my definition of too high of a barrier of entry.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Video games seem to be the only physical media I buy.

I've never purchased a movie for myself as it kind of is pointless to own a movie I'll watch once, and then never watch it again until it's broadcast on TV.

CD's: I use to buy lots of prior to Napster when MP3's became the norm for me. Since, I've moved to many FileShare and eventualy Download communities. Though I still buy a CD or two mainly because if I don't I won't listen to that Artists other less publicized tunes.

I don't buy CDs and DVDs since, hm...1998 maybe. I've bought some obscure VHS though, but then at $1/movie and I give them away when I've watched them.

Around the Network

Wow...lots of people really don't like downloading stuff.

I can't understand that, other than for collection purposes. "Killing the economy"? Digital downloads cost about the same as CDs...the only thing it's killing is the CD production business, boohoo.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I don't get why people buy CDs, I know it is nice to have the physical object, but besides that it is pointless. It is not like you use those to listen to it, and 99% of the time, it going to be ripped to a computer then an MP3 player

I have never downloaded a movie from anywhere. I really like having the physical media, and it is just easier because the TV I have in my room doesn't have a PC input. With DVDs, I can just put them in my PS3 and play it. I really don't want to fill my PS3's HDD up with full-length movies, and I'm too lazy to find a good external hard drive. With Warhawk, I got the Bluray version because otherwise you can only play it on one account and I have 7 people in my family.

Basically if I have a choice, I will get the physical media.

<insert awesome signature here>

Whats even the point of buying CDs anymore if the record companies say that "ripping cd's is illegal" or whatever?

Might as well just buy it from Itunes because its A) cheaper B) more convenient

The only physical media I buy is for videogames and I'm sure everyone else does since it is the only method it's offered. (Except for Steam)

I NEVER buy DVD's.
Music, still buy, but not so much.
Probably a handful of artists.
Like 3-5 CD's a year. All other music is downloaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!