By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I gotta ask though, since no one seems to be minding...

I'm on my cellphone so it's not easy to look it up or copy it, but for an example check out one of the quotes in my third post in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=17285

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
FishyJoe said:
Like I said, a bit a patience and restraint. Monthly NPD numbers aren't the end all be all. For example, the monthly NPD numbers on SMG are way off, but the LTD numbers are almost in perfect correlation. Just taking one months figures as the ultimate authority may not be the most rational approach.

I read somewhere that the NPD numbers for the 360 total are a lot lower than VGC, is this true?

Once again, I think the fact that we have the PS3 being outsold by the 360 every week in the US must be off, if the NPD says the PS3 won

Can't say.  Unless you pay for the numbers you don't get the totals.

You can add up the months as they are released but then you miss all the backtracking, adjusting and correcting NPD does.

That's the problem with NPD. 

We've all noticed the descrepency.... These numbers are going to be off from time to time but there's no reason to bash this website.

The history of this site has been that if a console (eg, the PS3) has been under tracked, the numbers will be corrected.

There is no correct source of numbers except the numbers posted as shipments by the video game companies themselves. The NPD numbers are most likely the closest to correct, yes, and VGChartz is dealing with smaller sample sizes and seemingly has to rely a little more heavily on various components of its formula that make it a little less fluid in the case that sales swing heavily or make unexpected turns.

Let VGChartz work through its growing pains without being so negative. We all see that there was a problem -- almost everyone was surprised by the NPD's numbers.

@Jandre: The thing that basically causes VGC to be off, that it is off, is sudden changes in demand and therefore sales. Not that much in supply issues. In a normal time of a year with steady sales, VGC hits the spot, but (especially with) the lull after christmas, slight overtracking/undertracking is expected, which will be corrected when there's enough reasons for it. Patience.

NJ5 said:
I'm on my cellphone so it's not easy to look it up or copy it, but for an example check out one of the quotes in my third post in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=17285

Quote yourself, paste the text and copy it. If it works with your phone. Btw. What phone are you using? And what browser? If you have the standard (Xhtml) browser, i'd suggest you give a try to http://www.mini.opera.com

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

-Edited by mod

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

NPD is wrong, VGC is wrong, we won't know until fiscals. Last fiscals proved VGC to be better for Wii.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Wait some time , ioi will proabbly update the numbers soon :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

ClaudeLv250 said:

Jandre002 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
You're free to start your own site. You can call it NPDchartz and it will consist of just NPD numbers everyone already knows since you seem to be under the impression that they are the only correct source.
Geeze, someone didnt get any play on V-day. I never said I didn't belive VG, but NPD seems to be the more trusted source. The differences between Vg and NPD/Charttrack seem to be larger than usual.
Haha just wondering, how old are you Claude? I just get this image of a 35 year old man at a low paying desk job with no wife and kids, always angry at the world. Your still my hero though.

I think I'm supposed to be offended, but then I remembered that you were a twelve year old who didn't take his meds today so the fact that it only took you 20 minutes to stop spazzing out and screaming at the numbers to think up that reply is probably something you should be commended on. Good boy! Nice Jandre! Who wants some medication? You do because you're a good boy!

Oh, what am I talking about.

Fits your situation in so many ways.

Aww Claude left me a response! I guess you could refer to lunchtime as "meds", nothing calms the raging 12 year old boy inside me quite like a happy meal from McDonalds..

Right and me asking why there was a huge difference between the numbers means im whining? It was a question directed at people who wait every week and reference this site as fact. Im not complaining, I asked if it was going to be corrected, as the last NPD was not.

"OMG OMG OMG VGCHARTZ IS BIASED!!!" No, I didnt. It has been drastically wrong twice in a week, so I was tyring to see if anyone had an explanation. Also, with things like this happening no one would take this site seriously anymore. Thats something I think even ioi knows, and I defend this site all the time. So on the actual  site, I asked the regulars a question.

So some losers will come in and say things like "ARRRRRGH MAKE YOUR OWN SITE! ARRRRGH TAKE YOUR MEDS!! ARRRRRRGH YOUR TAKING TOO LONG TO RESPOND! IM GUNNA POST THIS PICTURE!!!"

Oh god shut up, lol. Do any of your crybaby angry guy posts ever have relevance? It was a question, with a tad bit of fanboyism. This whole site is for fun, lighten up Claude. Who knows, maybe upon removing that stick you can get that corner office job you've had your eye on for 15 years.

Just thought I would copy and paste Iois take on PS3 hardware in January NPD.

"PS3 figures also defy logic to an extent. Sure people will be buying more PS3s since there is a shortage of 360 premiums but still that is a big jump from the kind of sales we saw in November / Dec (relative - it is obviousy less but not as much less as you'd expect given the modest holiday sales). Again, our data consistently had PS3 at the bottom of the pack, despite 360 shortages and I find it hard to see how we could be 80-90k too low unless some chains were seeing an enormous PS3 boost - all our data had it selling on par or slightly less than this time last year."

Taken from the January NPD thread.