By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video games blamed for latest School shooting (what a surprise........)

I called faux news, I doubt they'll even acknowledge it though

Around the Network

http://blackandwhitegames.net/Rants/Entries/2008/2/15_Open_Letter_to_Jack_Thompson.html

Seriously Jack?

Open Letter to Jack Thompson

Dear Jack Thompson,

I saw your appearance on Fox News today and I had a few questions for you. I have been following your career for a few years now and have done my research. I wanted clarification on some points that you had made. First off after watching your interview today I went to jackthompson.org and was reading on your contact page that you were looking for writers to present objective articles. So I was wondering why you did not present one yourself on Fox today? You said, “… If you start for example playing violent video games you are more than likely to copy cat the behavior in the games…” What about violent mediums all together such as movies, and literature? Why didn’t you site movies like the Matrix or Die Hard? These movies show a gratuitous amount of violence, including gun violence, so why didn’t you state that in your interview? Or do only read articles pertaining to violence in video games? Why haven’t you sued Marvel Comics? Their comics are just as violent as any game and are enjoyed by a huge number teens and young adults. When people read the bible or non-fiction material on genocide around the world aren’t these works of art usual more graphic than video games? Why haven’t you sued the Catholic Church or the publishers of Mien Kampf? You also stated in your interview that the shooter of NIU dressed like characters in video games, without saying what he was wearing? I was curious was he dressed in red overalls, or dressed in fur with a robot on his back? The police stated that he was dressed in black and not in tactical gear like you insinuated. Since Neo from the Matrix was dressed in black isn’t Keanu Reeves to blame? I have never heard you once talk about neglectful parents in your interviews. If parents are not watching what their kids are doing or setting parental lock on consoles, aren’t they to blame. They allow their kids to play these games. I have been an avid gamer for 18 years and never have once shot up a school or hit one of my siblings with a turtle shell. I know the difference in right and wrong, I know the difference between reality and fiction, because my parents taught that to me. On to my last point you flat out call video games as simulator. Well in the game you talked about today, which was Counter Strike, not Counter Strike-Half Life as you stated, not once does it show you how to load bullets into a magazine, load a magazine into a gun, or how to pull the trigger. In the game you press the left mouse button to fire and “r” to reload. When is the last time you saw a gun with an “r” button. I know how to do the above stated; I learned that when I was in the Boy Scouts of America. So if the gentleman who is responsible for the NIU shooting was in the Boy Scouts will you sue them, or the NRA for supporting guns, and being gun advocates. You most likely wont since both practices are protected under the constitution. So why are the constitutional rights of game players, makers, publishers less tangible than anyone else’s? You can argue that you can make levels for Counter Strike and make they look like anything including a school and that’s how it is a simulator. However the players and not the publisher make these. They only give you the tools. If you are mad that the give you tools to make these level sue Colt, and Smith and Wesson for making the guns or SinterFire for making bullets. I would appreciate a response as I am curious on you stance on the points I have made and would like answers to my question.

Looking Forward to Your Response

I'd expect Fox news to misrepresent and exploit what actually happened in order for it to fall in line with the message they keep pounding into people's heads. Remember, to reinforce an existing idea (linking video games and school shootings) takes far less time and much less resistance than it does to present new ideas, especially ideas that contradict what is "known" to be true. I'd feel sorry for anyone who went on Fox trying to set the record straight because Fox would NOT give them enough time to get their point across.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Fox news sinks even lower. They are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel to dig up tThompson again. After his manhunt/Wii/Wendy's campaign i thought we could have rested a bit because mainstream media discovered what an @ss he is finally.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

I have no words to cover and describe how sick I am of hearing this, videogames is apparently the root to all evil.
How is it man commited murder before videogames? Seems impossible that there was even violence in those times.
Jack Thompson should be sent via time machine to medieval times and witness public torture, drowning, beheading or hanging with hundreds watching in glee, and then step up to me and tell me that mankind is not inherently violent and need videogames as a trigger or cause for harming his/her peers.

Around the Network

Looks like Jack Thompson won't be satisfied till video games are banned.

Theres no way you can blame that on video games, thats just dumb. There is no connection.

...I just played GTA, I'm gonna go steal a car and drive over a cop.

Look at Topglock.com, the site where the shooter purchased his weapon. They have condolances all over the place, as if the families of the victims will read them.
"Hey, we sell guns to teenagers who have no use of them what so ever, but we're very sorry that these weapons are used on occassion to massacre stundents and kids." Makes me kinda queasy to be honest.

PS: The site's owner Eric Thompson, has a conspicous last name, perhaps Jack is his cousin and is fencing guns for him?

Anyways; make online weapon purchases illegal outside of shooting clubs or public domains, there really is no reason to sell arms online as I see it, there are enough shops that offer guns cheaply as it is.
And who knows if WiiFit really does get the blame one day?;
"Yes, we have confirmation now that the shooter did frequently play WiiFit at home, and authoroties have good reason to believe that this is how he got the balance and learned how to strafe and lean around corners. He also learned how to smash brick walls with his fists from Super Mario Bros and even ate mushrooms to increase his girth and brick smashing strength."

The above is really no more retarded than everything Thompson states, at least not to me, confused and upset as I am.

That don't make any senses.... blame the one who sold guns instead....

I've got the touch!!

Jack Thompson needs to shut the fuck up. That guy was a piece of shit. That's why he did it. Now he's dead. He ruined several lives. Thompson is using this tragedy to push his own agenda. Screw Jack Thompson.