By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - After anti-gay and Racist remarks, should Duck Dynasty be cancelled?

scat398 said:

Again, you are brimging up things he didnt talk about.  He was talking about his time workimg on a farm with black guys, the message he was discussing was one of people that he had realationships with were happy people.  He wasnt talking about walking uo to somebody and saying boy get up.  

He was a poor white kid working with other poor white and black kids and there happiness, are we really going to call a man racist because of this.  Its sad enough to see how distorted the term racist has become but niw a person cant even talk about a happy memory without being attacked.

i get it, we arent going to agree and thats ok...have a good christmas.

Did I call him racist? No, I called him a moron. Of course blacks are happy people, that's not some mind blowing thing. Or did he assume America assumes were all angry with baggy pants and guns in our pants waiting to commit crimes and him explaining blacks are happy would blow the mind of america?

He said blacks were happier during the jim crow era than now and that is absolutely FALSE. He's not black so how the heck would he know? That's my point, but yea have a merry christmas i'm so glad the civil rights movement took place becasue if I said have a merry christmas without adding "Sir" at the end I could have been hung in the south. hahahaha

Around the Network
RG3Hunna said:
Kasz216 said:
Aielyn said:
Fusioncode said:
Duck Dynasty is far and away their most popular show. It isn't a simple choice for them to just cancel it considering how much revenue it brings in. A&E will have no problems getting advertisers for a show that pulls ten million viewers per episode. 

Does it represent more than 50% of their revenue?

Like I said, it's not a question of popularity of that show. If keeping that show destroys the rest of their business, then they're screwed. And it might be harder to get advertisers if large swathes of people choose to boycott any company that advertises on the show, irrespective of the size of the audience.

Tell me - do you honestly believe that the management of the network haven't weighed up the pros and cons of cancelling the show vs keeping it going? Do you really think they'll completely cancel a show, complete with all of the side-effects of doing so, without first considering whether the show is a net liability in the circumstances first? Do you really think that they're that incompetent?

Except boycotts never actually work.

Actually, generally when boycotts are announced... buisness actually goes up because their name is in the news.

Boycotts don't work? Yes they do, the problem is our generation is lazy we don't go through in our boycotts. Look at the 50's-60s when the bus system was boycotted off the whole rosa parks situation they lost so much money they were forced to change their rules.

Money rules ALL as soon as a business knows it's going to lose money it will concede, look at the boycotts XboxOne was going to get due to their DRM policy, they changed their policies because they saw how poor their preorder numbers were compared to the competition. 

You seem to be missing the point.  Boycotts don't go through BECAUSE nobody goes through with them.

Because nobody really gives a shit.  People just wants to post a little face book post and complain over a couple dinners with friends...

and then come next... week.  They're back watching duck dynasy or eating at Chik'Fila or whatever.

Meanwhile all the talk of the boycott brought up the product to people who don't give a shit, and remember that's a thing and then see what it's like.

If anything if there is a change, boycotts increase buisness like it did with chik fil-a

Threatening a boycott can sometimes trick a company, but really... nobody cares.

I mean, really Duck Dynasty's ratings will probably go up.   Maybe?  I mean, i'm not sure who the target audience for the show is.

I mean... I saw like half of an episode and i've got no clue who the target audience is.  As far as i can tell they're activly making fun of the stars of the show so i'd guess the people who watch it are people who watch it to feel like they're better then those guys even if they are rich, like the people who watch honey boo boo.

So these people already know they're racist.

The whole thing seems about as pointless as Bill O'Reily's war on Pepsi.

RG3Hunna said:
scat398 said:

Again, you are brimging up things he didnt talk about.  He was talking about his time workimg on a farm with black guys, the message he was discussing was one of people that he had realationships with were happy people.  He wasnt talking about walking uo to somebody and saying boy get up.  

He was a poor white kid working with other poor white and black kids and there happiness, are we really going to call a man racist because of this.  Its sad enough to see how distorted the term racist has become but niw a person cant even talk about a happy memory without being attacked.

Did I call him racist? No, I called him a moron. Of course blacks are happy people, that's not some mind blowing thing. Or did he assume America assumes were all angry with baggy pants and guns in our pants waiting to commit crimes and him explaining blacks are happy would blow the mind of america?

He said blacks were happier during the jim crow era than now and that is absolutely FALSE. He's not black so how the heck would he know? That's my point, but yea have a merry christmas i'm so glad the civil rights movement took place becasue if I said have a merry christmas without adding "Sir" at the end I could have been hung in the south. hahahaha

I don't know where you get your history from.

Kasz216 said:
RG3Hunna said:
scat398 said:

I don't know where you get your history from.

Not sure if you're serious or being sarcastic lol I'm hoping you're being sarcastic. In the black community we have an influx of "Uncle Toms" (Jesse Lee Peterson) is one of them. Uncle Ruckus touches on that particular situation, there's a lot of blacks who hate their own people.  I actually have a friend who wishes he was white and feels being black is a curse I tell him all the time he needs serious counseling. lol

scat398 said:
marley said:
scat398 said:
Well the title of this article is completely misleading, His comments were not racist or anti-gay.

They most certainly were. 

If he just said: 'I believe homosexuality is a sin' and left it at that no one would care. 

If he just said: 'I don't think welfare is good for the black community' and left it at that no one would care. 

Instead he went on a rant likening homosexuality to bestiality, he referred to women AS their sexual organs (as if that's the defining part of love or a relationship), and he acted as if the Jim Crow days were a happier better time for black people.  What he said was racist, homophobic and sexist. 

he most certainley did not link homo-sexuality and beasitiallity and that is a complete lie. He listed various biblical sins.  If i write a grocery list and list apples and eggs am I linking them to anyhting other than the fact they are both food?

He talked about a vagina, he didn't refer to women as a vagina...if you are going to make a point at least try and keep it to the comments and not distort something, what purpose do you achieve by lying to yourself about what he said?

He did not 'link' them...?  Are you being serious right now?   "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."  You do know that 'morph' means 'change into' right?  So, start with homosexuality and 'change into' sleeping with everything (including animals).  Yep no link there.....

He chose to rant about the 'sins' of homosexuality and beastiality.  He didn't just add them to a list of random sins.  He chose to group homosexuality and beastiality together.  He created a list of equivalence.  He linked them and hid behind religion to do it.

He most certainly did refer to women as vaginas.  Maybe not in the explicit way of 'women are vaginas', but that's what the context of his discourse amounted to.  His only reason for why we should form relationships with women: 'vaginas'.  That's their only redeemable value in his eyes.  It's what they are.  We should choose women on the basis of 'where to put penis'.  Reducing a woman's value to nothing more than a body part is sexist as hell, and you're out of your mind if you don't think so. 

Using inferential comprehension is not a distortion.  Your effort to use literal translation as a means to refute clear inferential meaning is the only distortion that is happening.  You are ignoring all meaning behind what he said to further your own viewpoint.  Inferring is considered to be one of the most complex cognitive activities and maybe you're just not up to the feat.   Either way, the fact that you're an apologist for his remarks makes me sad for you and anyone that you have in your life. 

Around the Network

The show is fake anyway, these are all actors.

Phil Robertson a couple years ago. LMAO

Nope, I don't watch the show but I hope they tell A&E they can stick their immoral beliefs up their ass and go to a different network,...

Kasz216 said:

So, the guys from the show made around southern hicks that are essentially the real life Beverly Hillbillies are anti gay?

Who'd of guessed it!

Should duck dynasty be canceled.

No. AMC knew these guys were anti-gay in the first place. They had to know, and they decided to get into business with them in the first place. Everyone who tangentially have heard of the show before should of known they were anti gay.

It's hypocritical to pretend they didn't know and are just reacting now.  

It's like leaving a piece of meat unatended on your floor and getting mad at your cat or dog for eating it. 

I mean... no shit right?

I don't think they are responding to the fact that he's anti gay (or pretending they didn't know).  I think they are responding to the fact that his openly anti gay rant might have a negative effect on their business's image.  He works for them and they should feel free to suspend him if they want.  He should be prepared to accept the consequences of running his mouth.  That's how it works for every other employee in the free market and he shouldn't be any different.

DJEVOLVE said:

Lol - awesome video :)

DJEVOLVE said:

And what's hilarious the guy said blacks were happier during the jim crow era that he grew up in hahahaha dude was a FRAUD the whole time WOW. hahaha