By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Hyrule Warriors Doomed?

Is Hyrule Warriors Doomed??

DOOMED 51 20.40%

Probably 36 14.40%

Maybe not if it's more l... 75 30.00%

I like females with swords 88 35.20%

Total:250

look how much Link's crossbow training sold and that was barely a game.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
superhippy420 said:
I think its going to be a solid 1.5 - 2 million seller. In Japan Dynasty Warriors is a massive franchise, while Zelda is much more popular in the US. Its going to draw interest from fans of both games and if the number of hits on the youtube video (550k already) already shows this. To me it just looks like a more accessible style Zelda game to people who dont like the normal dungeon/puzzle solving type games.

Dude, Dynasty warriors exclusive to one console. I dont even know if one can even expect it to make a million. This game is going to be even more niche than Platinum Games title. Tecmo is the only third party I know who has a possibility of selling a lot lower than a Platinum Games exclusive. Platinum Games never built its name on a Nintendo console, nor were any associated akin with capcom when the the hack n slash genre was going semi-strong in the PS2 era.

As I've said before, Nintendo did the same thing with Star Fox. When they got desperate, they told Rare to just reskin their game with their Starfox characters. Smart? Yes and no. You see, Dinosaur adventures concept had nothing to do with the space ship flying of Starfox and Dynasty warriors gameplay style has nothing to do with the pacing of Zelda. 

Desperation.

And you are wrong about this. Rare requested that they be allowed to use the Star Fox franchise with Dinosaur Planet, after Miyamoto's observation that Krystal looked similar to Fox. Dinosaur Planet is also a completely different beast, in that it was an original IP that initially began development on the N64, before being moved to GameCube. Development was also overshadowed by the fact Rare were looking for a buyer, but Nintendo refused to buy Rare for the asking price Rare demanded. 

This isn't Nintendo's idea of a system seller, it's a filler title, and it's something they'll need. Desperation? No. Necessity? Yes. Third party support is going to become even thinner on the ground, historically Nintendo franchises dominate sales on their own platforms, and Nintendo can't produce enough titles to keep software and hardware sales ticking over. Filling out the catalogue with a third party developed spin off of their own IP is something they said they would do at the beginning of the year--and Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei was the first example of that on Wii U. Hell, Namco are supplying the majority of staff involved in the development of Smash Brothers.

Nintendo are responding to manpower and software shortages, and that's a good thing. I'm not saying this will be wildly successul, but it doesn't need to be. It's a quick, cheap filler title with a reliable brand attached to maximise sales potential and keep Wii U owners buying software. The software has to come from somwhere. Nintendo can't provide it all on their own, and third parties aren't going to jump on board without serious encouragement. I'd say handing out some of the most respected IP in the industry is a clear incentive for companies to get involved. 

pokeclaudel said:

It was like $20 with a peripheral.....

d21lewis said:
pokeclaudel said:

It was like $20 with a peripheral.....

It was pretty damn fun too for what it was

Isnt Dynasty Warriors a japanese thing, because if it is thier aming themself to the Japanese market.

Around the Network

I hope this has co-op like the Dynasty Warriors series. A Zelda hack n' slash would be considerably more interesting with co-op.

toastboy44562 said:

Hopefully this isn't the only zelda title being worked on for the Wii U because that would be really bad. 

Its not.

They said after they showed the footage that this is NOT the wii u zelda game being developed

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Soundwave said:
I hope this has co-op like the Dynasty Warriors series. A Zelda hack n' slash would be considerably more interesting with co-op.

*raises eyebrow*

You have my attention.....

I think this will be one of the better selling "Dynasty Warrior Style" Games.
Could probably do as much as the first One Piece DW PS3 Game in Japan.
Considering this is just one of the many DW Games with a Zelda Theme done by someone else this is ok.

SupBambiKing said:
I think this will be one of the better selling "Dynasty Warrior Style" Games.
Could probably do as much as the first One Piece DW PS3 Game in Japan.
Considering this is just one of the many DW Games with a Zelda Theme done by someone else this is ok.

I don't mean to piss on your parade but One Piece is an absolute phenomenon in Japan - collectively the manga has sold 300 million volumes in Japan alone, and the anime has run for over 600 episodes and counting. Even with such a titanic brand name behind it, One Piece Musou 1 sold 0.86m and OP Musou 2 declined sharply (adding together both the PS3 and VIta releases, it's done 0.53m).

Zelda on the other hand is far smaller in Japan nowadays - Twilight Princess did 0.64m (including both Wii and GCN) and Skyward Sword just 0.36m. If mainline Zelda coudn't beat the OP games, how on earth will a spinoff which neither fanbase seems to want particularly do it? Add in the facts I've already mentioned like the WiiU not having many musou fans and its not going to do particularly well.

The novelty factor will help it because it's a new type of musou like One Piece was, but its other problems are quite severe and in my opinion mean that it will struggle to sell 300k in Japan, whilst western sales won't be great because musou isn't popular here. Like I said though, it will be cheap to make and even if it doesn't do great, it will still probably be profitable