By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is PS4 CPU is better than Xbone CPU?

lt_dan_27 said:

A lt of things seem to be pointing to the ps4 cpu being more powerful now though. Maybe there are less assests running on the PS4's because of the secondary chip... 

Also, this may be a little far fetched, but it does say only one core. The other cores could be clocked differently, and this isn't exactly confirmation. 

No, my friend, there is only one thing, this benchmark for this expecific engine.

Everething else point to both having the exactly same CPU with around the same clock.

There is no way in hell one CPU having different clocks for each of its core. It´s is possible, but it´s very, very complicated and with minor advantages. 

The difference we have could be easily explained by the OS overhead, rumors have the XOne OS using 2 CPU cores, and PS4´s using only 1. Then we have 6 and 7 left to the game/engine, 12 and 14 respectively.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
lt_dan_27 said:

A lt of things seem to be pointing to the ps4 cpu being more powerful now though. Maybe there are less assests running on the PS4's because of the secondary chip... 

Also, this may be a little far fetched, but it does say only one core. The other cores could be clocked differently, and this isn't exactly confirmation. 

No, my friend, there is only one thing, this benchmark for this expecific engine.

Everething else point to both having the exactly same CPU with around the same clock.

There is no way in hell one CPU having different clocks for each of its core. It´s is possible, but it´s very, very complicated and with minor advantages. 

The difference we have could be easily explained by the OS overhead, rumors have the XOne OS using 2 CPU cores, and PS4´s using only 1. Then we have 6 and 7 left to the game/engine, 12 and 14 respectively.

True, and I said the cores be clocked at different speeds was far fetched. Regardless, the cpu's are basically the same power, one is maybe a little stronger than the other. It won't really make any difference in games. 

fallen said:
lt_dan_27 said:
biglittlesps said:

Hi,

According to the article in the link which compares CPU for DXT compression and says that PS4 can generatea at 14MB/s compared to Xbox one 12MB/s. So, this makes sense that PS4 CPU clock speed is actually not 1.6Ghz and its better than Xbox one.

http://gamingbolt.com/substance-engine-increases-ps4-xbox-one-texture-generation-speed-to-14-mbs-12-mbs-respectively

I think it was found out that the ps4 is closkced at 2ghz, not 1.6. Everyone just assumed 1.6 for some reason. 

Link?

It's 1.6. Even GAF admits this. There was an audio presententation copyright SCEE in Novemeber 2013 that confirmed.

Xbox One's CPU is 1.75 ghz, thus more powerful than PS4's CPU.

You ask people for links, but you don't provide any for the shit you spread.

This image you posted, provide the link to the article or report you took it from. 

JoeTheBro said:
You know what they say about assuming...

...leads to rape accusations?

kitler53 said:
JoeTheBro said:
You know what they say about assuming...

...leads to rape accusations?

oh

Around the Network

X1 cpu cores have a clock speed of 1,75ghz while the ones from Ps4 cpu have a clock speed of 1,6ghz

1,75 > 1,6 so PS4 cpu is NOT better than X1 cpu

Uabit said:
X1 cpu cores have a clock speed of 1,75ghz while the ones from Ps4 cpu have a clock speed of 1,6ghz

Still waiting for factual proof that the PS4's CPU is 1.6ghz.

both "APU's" are the same just at different clock speeds and to be honest a difference of .1 or .2 really makes little to no difference performance wise, these are not the same as the previous Xenos and Cell CPU's so no one is benefiting from a .1 or .2 higher clock speed, if the difference was .7 or 1. then sure there would be a significant performance difference but as it is there isn't, the true winner here is AMD.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

Hynad said:
Uabit said:

Still waiting for factual proof that the PS4's CPU is 1.6ghz.

''As mentioned above, some of the benefits of Substance include reducing file size which makes the engine useful for the likes of PlayGo which is one of the pivotal features of the PlayStation 4.''

http://gamingbolt.com/substance-engine-increases-ps4-xbox-one-texture-generation-speed-to-14-mbs-12-mbs-respectively

Also, ghz alone means nothing. We have to see how much of CPU power is 'wasted' for OS, etc on both PS4 and XOne ;) and which extra features can help each CPU in defferent tasks.

but I agree with you, I'm not sure PS4 CPU is clocked at 1.6ghz and can't go higher. 

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.