By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo sell to other crowds than DS and PS360?

oniyide said:
Soundwave said:
oniyide said:
Soundwave said:
oniyide said:
prayformojo said:
padib said:

So far, the threads have grown like a plague saying that since Nintendo's 3DS is doing well and Nintendo can't market to the PS360 crowd, that the WiiU is doomed.

Is there any way that Nintendo could target an audience that is neither one, nor the other?

Or are we completely blind to any concept like that?

Do you want to know WHY Nintendo can't get the Xbox and PS crowd? HARDWARE. By using old specs and a different controller/architecture/archaic online service, Nintendo eliminates any and all possibilities of major third party support. And it's THAT, which sells those two consoles.

Believe it or not, it's not Uncharted and it's not Gears Of War that sold those systems. NSMB Wii outsold both by a mile. It's COD and BF, Madden and Fifa. It's dude bro games and dude bro features that push Xbox and PS, not their exclusives.

If Nintendo would just stop being so damn stubborn and/or cheap, and release something like PS4 with their own IP on it? They would have another NES on their hands because who the hell wouldn't buy that thing? It would totally blow the other two out of the water because what do the other two offer? Nintendo's first party games will always, on the whole, out perform the other two's first party games and if their system had exactly the same third party support and online features of XBL and PSN? Yeah...you get the picture.

My fingers are crossed. I'm hoping the Wii-U bombs so they can once again rise. I want to own another kick ass Nintendo console like the SNES.

isnt that what the WIi U was supposed to be? Hell isnt that what Gamecube was supposed to be and you are really underestimating 1st party MS and Sony. Halo says hi

The Super NES was a moderately souped up NES with a gimmick controller that wouldn't be able to run games like Street Fighter II or Final Fantasy VI? News to me. 

Neither the Wii or Wii U are comparable to the SNES, they are very clearly part of a new lineage of Nintendo console with different priorties. 

The last of the SNES' "kin" was the GameCube and that died due to terrible mismanagement.

um no when they unveiled Wii U they were showing off 3rd PARTY games, how quickly we forget prior to launch Wii U was supposed to be another SNES, it would finally get all the big 3rd party games in addition to Ninty's regular offerings. Thats not how it turned out of course and now its getting even less support than Wii was but lets not act like that was the plan all along.

GC, that was my point his dream console is exactly what the GC was it got 3rd party games(alot did remain exclusive to PS2) and the Ninty stuff. Maybe it died because people just thought the PS2 and to a lesser extent Xbox were better systems. His quesion was if a NInty console would get similar 3rd party support as the other two who wouldnt buy it? Alot of people wouldnt as the GC showed us, i thought we were all past the point of putting so much stock into Ninty first party.

How is it the Super NES? Because it had ports of some third party franchises that have been available on the 360/PS3 for seven years now? 

The Super NES did not come out 7 years after the Sega Genesis and did not rely on a controller gimmick to sell it, nor was half of Nintendo's lineup for the system aimed at mini-game casuals (who is Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, Sing Party, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, Mario & Sonic Olympics aimed at? This is HALF of Nintendo's entire Wii U output).

Super NES got first dibs on games like Street Fighter II and Chrono Trigger and Contra III and was the most powerful of the three major console platforms that generation allowing it to have the best arcade conversions (which was a big deal for its time). 

GameCube honestly IMO was Miyamoto and other "creative forces" inside of Nintendo self-sabotaging the console because they wanted more of a toy console for their own design tastes rather than what made sense for the market. It was kinda like "well, OK we'll do this Resident Evil deal, but I want the console to be purple because it's cute". 

We don't know how the GameCube would've done if it was more competently managed. I mean basically with the GameCube what Nintendo said was "hey did you like Mario 64, GoldenEye, and Zelda: OoT? Of course you did! Now here's a new console where we changed everything you loved about Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT! Oh yeah and here's a FPS which is nothing like GoldenEye and has no multiplayer! And to top it off we're giving you Donkey Kong ... in bongo form!"

GameCube was the console of a hundred ideas that no one asked for wrapped in a console design that screamed "hey!!! It's your little brother's console!". 

you're missing my point, i never said WIi U is SNES im saying alot of people thought it would be. Just check the threads prior and right after E3 of the WIi U reveal to see it for yourself. It wasnt just that they were getting ports of 3rd party games, but multiplats too. Again this is also long before PS4 or xone were revealed so alot assumed that the gap in power in those systems would not be great because they went the power route last gen and lost alot of money, so whatever next gen games being put out would be on WIi U by default becasue the year lead would have ensured a bigger install base and the HW would be closer to a PS2/GC/xbox situation than a Wii/PS60 one. Also people were hyping the WIi U up to be much more powerful than it actually turned out to be. 

NOW all that went to crap. PS4 and xbone turend out to be a bit more powerful that some thought they would be and PS4 was cheaper than some thought it would be as well(especially considering it wasnt that much more expensive than WII u but way more powerful). 3rd party support oh boy. games got cancelled and hell WIi u isnt even getting alot of the PS360 stuff NVM the PS4/xone multiplats. The WII U isnt anywhere near a close power wise than some people were saying it would be. PS4 and even xbone are selling at a faster rate than WII u so it might not have its lead for much long. However i do see your point im just painting a picture why people did think like that, no one now would think that.

Gamecube how was it mismanged? Im not going to get into SW because that is so subjective we'll be here all night. IMHO i liked the first party titles but thats me. How was it mismanaged from a HW standpoint? cause it was purple? there were other colors and i dont believe that core gamers at least or so shallow they would care about color and look, games is all that matters. hell i think PS3 looks ugly (1st and 3rd versions). FYI GC had plenty FPS shooters most of quality alot more than WIi did. What were these hundreds of ideas? IMHO GC was just a regular system. maybe that was the problem I dont know. BUt it seems some people are making excuses for it. It would have still been slaughtered by PS2 because the PS brand itself was THAT much stronger.

There were several ways the GameCube was mismanaged. Nintendo decides to cell shade Zelda ... really? Even if EAD really wanted to do that someone should've put their foot down and said it's more important to sell the system first. Twilight Princess should've been the first Zelda game released for the GameCube. Then you can do Wind Waker afterwards.

Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat ... again ... needless meddling with formulas that people liked for basically no reason. 

The GCN totally lost the FPS audience, that used to be Nintendo's audience, but they followed up GoldenEye and Perfect Dark ... with Metroid Prime ... which may have been critically acclaimed, but it had (again see above) none of the things that made GoldenEye popular in the first place. 

Nintendo should've made it a priority to have a killer app multiplayer FPS for the GameCube and early in its life cycle. 

The whole system honestly should've launched in late 2000 or early/mid-2001 with late gen N64 projects moved over. Gimme $299.99 GameCube with double the RAM launching in late 2000 (not purple, black or silver only, no handle), no mini-DVDs, with Zelda: Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Sin & Punishment, and Conker's Bad Fur Day repositioned as GCN titles with proper sequels to Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, etc. deep into development ... and lets see where the chips fall. 

The chipset for the GameCube *was* great, it was considerably better than the PS2 and easier to program for and even cheaper as well. They just messed up everything else. 

Around the Network
padib said:
prayformojo said:
padib said:
prayformojo said:

My fingers are crossed. I'm hoping the Wii-U bombs so they can once again rise. I want to own another kick ass Nintendo console like the SNES.

Your hopes are misplaced. I only need to cite Metroid Prime versus Halo.

Their problem is thinking the industry will do what they want, rather than giving the industry what IT wants. When that changes, they will return.

So do you think that Metroid Prime is not what the industry wanted?

By "giving the industry what it wants" I meant hardware, not software. The Gamecube had a non standard contoller, no online service, small proprietary media and no DVD play back. All of those things prevented games like GTA from existing on Nintendo's console and ensuring it's last place finish.

The problem is not Mario, it's the console Mario plays on. If they'd stop being stubborn and release something akin to PS4, none of this would be happening right now.