Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Next Nintendo Handheld Will Kill The Nintendo Console

The Vita today is already $199.99 ... assuming the next Nintendo handheld is a go for fall 2015 at the earliest ... the type of chip/performance they'd be able to get, even at a fairly affordable price would be quite impressive I have to think.

Around the Network
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
I personally believe that is why they introduced the tablet controller for Wii U. At this point, they may be possibly considering an amalgamation of their handhelds/console, allowing it portable yet provide t.v connection.
With the rate of mobile tech in the next 5-6 years, they may be able to create a tablet with that sort of connectivity and power comparable to WiiU vs 360/PS3 in terms of it's graphic capabilities against what the Xbone/PS4 can currently do.

But even if they did that, games compatible with the motion controller would be extremely difficult to play on the go, and that kind of software would suffer. Same can be said about the U's gamepad, which is able to be rotated irrespective of the top screen.

Even if they did amalgamate both, they would need to label games as "for home console use" or "for portable play". Ultimately, hardware-wise, there is a divide between both platforms that may not be obvious to us, let alone consumers, at first, but that is very real.

Sorry but this is a very close minded idea. There will still be ways for Nintendo to evolve their console games and make them different and impossible to achieve for their future handheld.

Technology is always evolving. Currently we have virtual reality and real time cloud based gaming available. Nintendo has unlimited resources of imagination and creativity that can benefit from those in the future and other unforeseen advancements in technology.

I think the PSP and the Vita has proven this theory wrong.
Handheld gaming isnt about getting a console experience on the move, its an entirely different ecosystem.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

t3mporary_126 said:
Sorry but this is a very close minded idea. There will still be ways for Nintendo to evolve their console games and make them different and impossible to achieve for their future handheld.

Technology is always evolving. Currently we have virtual reality and real time cloud based gaming available. Nintendo has unlimited resources of imagination and creativity that can benefit from those in the future and other unforeseen advancements in technology.

There may be a future Nintendo console, though I suspect it may be something very, very different from the past and will be something tailored more towards the Western market (as the Japanese console business is dead, yes, even with little things like the Wii U spiking for a couple of weeks during the holiday rush). It may be more of a NOA centric thing to be honest. 

The hardware that actually carries over Nintendo's existing hardware philisophy of low power consumption/solid visuals/made-for-EAD chipset will be the handheld line, which I suspect will indeed allow for TV play eventually. It's just inevitable. 

It may even get them out of this Wii U mess a bit, if the next handheld can reuse or approximate Wii U engines ... Nintendo could move certain projects over or dual release them between their own platforms to be able to make up for their development cost. 

Around the Network
padib said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
I personally believe that is why they introduced the tablet controller for Wii U. At this point, they may be possibly considering an amalgamation of their handhelds/console, allowing it portable yet provide t.v connection.
With the rate of mobile tech in the next 5-6 years, they may be able to create a tablet with that sort of connectivity and power comparable to WiiU vs 360/PS3 in terms of it's graphic capabilities against what the Xbone/PS4 can currently do.

But even if they did that, games compatible with the motion controller would be extremely difficult to play on the go, and that kind of software would suffer. Same can be said about the U's gamepad, which is able to be rotated irrespective of the top screen.

Even if they did amalgamate both, they would need to label games as "for home console use" or "for portable play". Ultimately, hardware-wise, there is a divide between both platforms that may not be obvious to us, let alone consumers, at first, but that is very real.

Think of it as a larger game pad, except in the style of a tablet, maybe 8", better designed, more elegant,etc. I see alot of people gaming on Ipad mini's and 3d/motion could be built into the tablet itself.

As for the divide, I beleive it exists as well, however as we move towards the digtal download age, I believe that both type of games could still be created (two price tiers as well), but now portable fans would have the option of playing those games onscreen as well. It possibly could work. 

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Cleary397 said:
I think the PSP and the Vita has proven this theory wrong.
Handheld gaming isnt about getting a console experience on the move, its an entirely different ecosystem.

The PSP/Vita were always a large generation behind the PS3/PS4. Besides, the dudebros-centric side of Sony's fanbase will never let go of the 50 inch TV. Nintendo fans are just as happy playing on a 4 inch screen as they are on a big screen, at least in large portions, so there's a pretty big difference. Nintendo's more colorful/easier to follow art styles tend to look great on smaller screens, games that aim for hyper realism tend not to. 

It's just in the past, you *had* to buy a Nintendo console because you couldn't realistically expect to have Mario or Link's next "real" adventure on a handheld. That is something that's already changing quite a bit with the 3DS and will becoming even more pronuced with the next Nintendo handheld. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Think of it as a larger game pad, except in the style of a tablet, maybe 8", better designed, more elegant,etc. I see alot of people gaming on Ipad mini's and 3d/motion could be built into the tablet itself.

As for the divide, I beleive it exists as well, however as we move towards the digtal download age, I believe that both type of games could still be created (two price tiers as well), but now portable fans would have the option of playing those games onscreen as well. It possibly could work. 

Play skyward sword on the WiiU's gamepad only (I do it every now and then). It's fun but I could never play that on the go. The experience would have zero monetary value for a business if they are targetting people playing on the bus or commuting.

Secondary point: The dual-screen functionality is now part of Nintendo's games, how will that be accomodated in the tablet without fixing the screen decoupling issue I raised? (e.g. the WiiU pad can be rotated relative to the tv screen)

Skyward Sword's motion controls are likely gone for the next installment anyway.

There's not many Nintendo IP outside of the Wii Sports ilk that are reliant on motion gaming. Mario/Zelda/DKC/Kirby/Smash/Mario Kart/Pikmin/Metroid work just fine without having to wave the controller around.

Though obviously the 3DS still has the tilt/gyro functionality anyway if you want it.

A handheld can't replicate Wii Sports.

/thread

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club